Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stump removal - Very Interesting Video

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:49:31 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Stormin' Norman typed:
If you have ever had to remove a stump, you will appreciate how this
guy does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTIwWUg4fc

Interesting video. I have done stump pulling on my own using a
all-wheel-drive 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.5L engine, a tow hitch, and a
tow strap.

The tree stumps (and some bushes etc) were not that big, but two of the
stumps were about 16 inches in diameter. One thing that id did do is do a
little digging around the stumps and fill the whole stump area with water
from a hose and let it sink in. And I ran the hose on high pressure into
the ground around the stump to try to completely soak the area.

I didn't have the devices to change the ratios of the pulleys etc -- I just
did straight pulling.

But, for people who have the equipment that this guy had, it seems like a
good way to rip out an entire sump from the ground.

Of course, another option is to cut the tree off at ground level and hire
someone with a stump grinder to grind the remaining stump and big surface
roots. In my case, I didn't want to pay extra for that, plus I wanted to
play around in the mud and see if my trick would work. It was lots of fun,
and it worked!

The othe reason to pull rather than grind is if you want to put
something - particularly something that requires digging a hole - in
it's place.
Meanwhile, on another larger tree that I had cut down later on, I left the
stump there rather than pay extra to grind the stump. Then, some
entrepreneurial person put a flyer in my mailbox saying "This Stump" -- will
grind for $50. I called the guy, he did it, and I left $75 for him instead
of $50 since he did what he said he would do, when he said he would do it,
and at a great price. In my area, the price would probably have been $150
to $175 to have someone come out and do the job.

Up hjear it's a $300 job - but in Yankee Greenbacks that's only about
$225
'