Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best Buy recycling electronic stuff

No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 5:46:28 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

I took a 10 year old printer last week to Best Buy and they
accepted with no questions asked. Also, our local dump has
a 'mini' dump on my side of town that will take electronics,
paint, appliances, furniture, etc. with no charge either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

It's a State by State (and possibly local law) deal.

In some areas the dropoff is a complete "freebie", in
others some stuff is free, others are charged for,
in some you pay $25 but get a $25 coupon...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 8:12:16 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

It's a State by State (and possibly local law) deal.

In some areas the dropoff is a complete "freebie", in
others some stuff is free, others are charged for,
in some you pay $25 but get a $25 coupon...

best buy only limits tvs, to drop off a tv for free you must buy a tv.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

Where I live in Monmouth County NJ, we have a county recycling facility
which accepts electronic stuff (TV, Computers, etc) with no dropoff
charge. A few towns also have electronic drop off stations (no charge)
so i don't need Best Buy any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2016 3:46 PM, Frank wrote:
No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

Here in WA, Goodwill takes TV's for recycling, no charge. Other places too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2016 06:46 PM, Frank wrote:

No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

I understand that some states impose a a fee for recycling/dumping CRT
devices, but others do not. e.g., MI does, IN does not (so I was told
this week).

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2016 06:46 PM, Frank wrote:

No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

I understand that some states impose a a fee for recycling/dumping CRT
devices, but others do not. e.g., MI does, IN does not (so I was told
this week).

Perce

These things apparently vary locally. Best Buy was touting they take
all electronic equipment but snuck in charge for some. I know they will
take printers free and maybe even give a 15% rebate for an HP.
I don't like surprises. I had taken 4 much larger CRT TV's there in the
past for no charge and did not suspect a charge on this small item.
I had bought 4 flat screen TV's at Best Buy but they were not connected
to me dropping off my old ones.

Did not mention but they had consolidated two much closer stores to a
larger one in a new addition to a large mall here. I hate going to that
mall because of heavy traffic and labyrinth of exits onto interstates.
If I buy anything else from them, it will be on line where they might be
competitive with free shipping. My wife is also dropping her computer
Geek squad policy because of their move to the mall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2016 08:51 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

Here in WA, Goodwill takes TV's for recycling, no charge. Other places too.

Here in TX, I left a CRT TV at Goodwill around the middle of October.
Someone else had too (recently, it was still outside the building).

--
51 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Error! Computer hungry. Insert hamburger in drive A: and press Y to
continue."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2016 12:11 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/03/2016 08:51 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

Here in WA, Goodwill takes TV's for recycling, no charge. Other places
too.

Here in TX, I left a CRT TV at Goodwill around the middle of October.
Someone else had too (recently, it was still outside the building).

Goodwill here will not take them and you are taking a real chance just
dropping it off when there is no attendant because they will see you on
their video security cameras.

Local drop off can be a real PITA and best to go to their local store.
Local guy refused perfectly good kids sleds because it was summer and a
perfectly good trail bike because he was out of room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2016 11:49 AM, Frank wrote:

[snp]

Goodwill here will not take them and you are taking a real chance just
dropping it off when there is no attendant because they will see you on
their video security cameras.

They did see me. I think it was the previous donor they missed (because
the bell wasn't working). I told the attendant I was leaving that TV.
There was no objection.

BTW, 51 days until Christmas. The sign in Wal-Mart says 52 (it's almost
always 1 day to high). Where's the extra day?

--
51 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Error! Computer hungry. Insert hamburger in drive A: and press Y to
continue."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 12:49:52 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Goodwill here will not take them and you are taking a real chance just
dropping it off when there is no attendant because they will see you on
their video security cameras.

Local drop off can be a real PITA and best to go to their local store.
Local guy refused perfectly good kids sleds because it was summer and a
perfectly good trail bike because he was out of room.

I donate items to a local Veteran's group. Even they don't want to
take CRT TVs and even ask if they are working before they will accept
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 00:12:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

No longer completely free. They charged me $25 to take an old 15 inch
CRT monitor. I told them I would pay it as I would be reimbursed from
client but they were now on my s-list for buying new stuff from them.
Neighbor said he had taken a huge CRT along with some other stuff to the
dump in his pick-up and they only charged him $25 for the lot.
He said they did separate recyclables but TV's just went into the
general trash pile.

It's a State by State (and possibly local law) deal.

In some areas the dropoff is a complete "freebie", in
others some stuff is free, others are charged for,
in some you pay $25 but get a $25 coupon...

There used to be a computer recycling place around here, where they
disassembled them, and then sold all the usable parts, such as hard
drives (which were wiped and tested), RAM, cards, and so on... These
parts were sold cheaply, and sometimes they had working older computers
which sold cheaply too. All the other parts, such as dead boards,
plastic cases, and metals were recycled for their raw materials. (the
plastic cases went to the electric company to burn and create power).

The state came along and shut that place down. They said they could do a
better job. All they did was enact a fee of $20 per item at collection
sites with limited hours. No one knows where these electronic items go
now.... I really miss that place, where I could buy reusable parts.

I recycle my own stuff. If I have a crt tv, I remove the circuit boards,
chassis, etc. All metal goes in my scrap metal pile, which I sell for
scrap. The plastic cases go in my burn pile, and I put a CRT tube in a
cardboard box and turn it into pieces of glass, which I dispose of in a
dumpster. I have yet to find a place to take the circuit boards, so
there is a box of them in my shed. On the rare occasion I need a
capacitor, resistor or diode, one of them boards should have what I
need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2016 3:26 PM, Oren wrote:

I donate items to a local Veteran's group. Even they don't want to
take CRT TVs and even ask if they are working before they will accept
them.

Tried to donate one to a nursing home. I'd even set it up in a
patient's room. Nope.

Few years ago WalMart was selling off the last couple of 19" TVs for $20
and no takers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 15:46:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/4/2016 3:26 PM, Oren wrote:

I donate items to a local Veteran's group. Even they don't want to
take CRT TVs and even ask if they are working before they will accept
them.

Tried to donate one to a nursing home. I'd even set it up in a
patient's room. Nope.

Few years ago WalMart was selling off the last couple of 19" TVs for $20
and no takers.

Another group we give to is a local abused woman's shelter. They don't
usually ask or need electronic stuff. Generally items like clothing
and items to help them to find jobs and such, Or items for hygiene,
etc.

The bride came come up with items that help them out in difficult
times. Some need child care items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

my 34 inch tube tv died.
it weighed a ton.

so we dropped it repeatedly about 15 feet. then crushed and broke the remants with a pinch bar.

because trash is picked up by a articulated arm that weighs every pick up i first put out the low weight stuff the CRT glass. Not big but took months to get rid of
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 11/4/2016 12:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Few years ago WalMart was selling off the last couple of 19" TVs for $20
and no takers.

My local Goodwill store sells the CRT TVs for $1. Not sure the reasoning
in that.