Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some metal Content but more electronic stuff

Do any of you have MagicJack?
Can you send and receive Faxes using MagicJack?

The reason I asked is a friend of mine is wanting to switch to it but
he uses his Fax machine all the time and he does not want to lose that
capability. He uses the FAX to send and receive various documents he
needs in his small machining business (patent prototypes for the most
part. He does not want to use E-Mail because of security issues. I
installed Magic Jack for my land line two days ago and I haven't tried
to set up the FAX function yet. So I am asking here.

TIA
DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns writes:

Do any of you have MagicJack?
Can you send and receive Faxes using MagicJack?

Not Recommended.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:11:29 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:
snip
He does not want to use E-Mail because of security issues.

snip
==============
There are several cheap/free solutions available.

One is to use file compression software such as PKZIP or WINZIP
that have a password protection feature to "zip" the sensitive
information before attaching it to an email for transmission.
http://www.winzip.com/index.htm
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/80/
for the byte heads
http://www.winzip.com/aes_info.htm

Another is to use an encryption program such as PGP with a
public/private key feature. There are several other similar
programs.
http://www.pgp.com/
http://na.store.pgp.com/desktop_pro....StprGooCore111
http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/softwa...pgpbasics.html

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

if you expect any reasonable security, don't use winzip/pkzip password - the
encryption is weak, there are downloadable tools to break the encryption,
and I've been successful doing this (on a business related file where a
co-worker forgot the password). PGP is much more secure, it's free for
personal use, and sufficiently inexpensive for business purposes, and widely
accepted as secure.

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:11:29 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:
snip
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee writes:

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:11:29 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:
snip
He does not want to use E-Mail because of security issues.

snip
==============
There are several cheap/free solutions available.

One is to use file compression software such as PKZIP or WINZIP
that have a password protection feature to "zip" the sensitive
information before attaching it to an email for transmission.
http://www.winzip.com/index.htm
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/80/
for the byte heads
http://www.winzip.com/aes_info.htm

Note that this does absolutely nothing for security.

Another is to use an encryption program such as PGP with a
public/private key feature. There are several other similar
programs.
http://www.pgp.com/
http://na.store.pgp.com/desktop_pro....StprGooCore111
http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/softwa...pgpbasics.html

These are good options.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

{top posted}

Yes but see http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/80/
-----
snip

Do not rely on Zip 2.0 encryption to provide strong data
security.

==If you have important security requirements for your data, you
should use WinZip's AES encryption. AES is the Advanced
Encryption Standard, which is the result of a three-year
competition sponsored by the U.S. Government's National Institute
of Standards and Technology (NIST). This encryption method, also
known as Rijndael, has been adopted by NIST as a Federal
Information Processing Standard.

WinZip supports AES encryption in two different strengths:
128-bit AES and 256-bit AES. These numbers refer to the size of
the encryption keys that are used to encrypt the data. 256-bit
AES is stronger than 128-bit AES, but both of them can provide
significantly greater security than the standard Zip 2.0 method
described above. An advantage of 128-bit AES over the 256-bit AES
is that it is slightly faster, that is, it takes less time to
encrypt or decrypt a file.==
snip
===============
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:42:18 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

if you expect any reasonable security, don't use winzip/pkzip password - the
encryption is weak, there are downloadable tools to break the encryption,
and I've been successful doing this (on a business related file where a
co-worker forgot the password). PGP is much more secure, it's free for
personal use, and sufficiently inexpensive for business purposes, and widely
accepted as secure.
"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:11:29 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
snip