Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default Recycling electronic waste.

Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

Most UK council tips are actually contracted out and the contractor has to
sell anything anyone will buy to pay for disposal of the WEEE waste and the
home & garden waste in the compacter skips.

Budgets are unsurprisingly rather tight and WEEE disposal invariably ends up
with the lowest bidder - who most likely exports it to W. Africa.

There is a way you can at least delay your unwanted items entry into the
scrap system; you can get rid of almost anything on freegle or freecycle,
although its good form to indicate if an item is not working such as needs
att'n or spares or repair.

If you want to sell the item there's allways Swapshop.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2011 21:28:46 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

Most UK council tips are actually contracted out and the contractor has to
sell anything anyone will buy to pay for disposal of the WEEE waste and the
home & garden waste in the compacter skips.

Budgets are unsurprisingly rather tight and WEEE disposal invariably ends up
with the lowest bidder - who most likely exports it to W. Africa.

There is a way you can at least delay your unwanted items entry into the
scrap system; you can get rid of almost anything on freegle or freecycle,
although its good form to indicate if an item is not working such as needs
att'n or spares or repair.

If you want to sell the item there's allways Swapshop.

Do you separate your household trash? We have three bins, wheelie
things, for trash, recycling, and compost. But hazardous materials
(batteries, chemicals, paint, CF lamps) aren't supposed to go in any
of those. We save them up and take them to a disposal center.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

I watched that and yet again they failed to mention how this scrap is
reprocessed.
Plastic cases if of one plastic and the right sort can be recycled.
Plastic insulation stripped off if large electical cable , but ribbon cables
etc mechanically stripped for the copper in the UK?
aluminium iron , steel and copper wire yes.
but who processes the pcb boards mechanically/chemically in this country to
extract the solder?as far as I know all the boards get aggregated and sent
in empty containers (dirt cheap as going in the now normal reverse
direction) and burnt in heaps in India mainly.
What happens to all that CRT glass ?
The rest is processed sand and hard plastic

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

At the flats we have general refuse bins + glass, paper & cans.

Points of sale have battery bins for the general gadget type batteries, lead
acid have to be taken to the council refuse yard.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

No they didn't - they showed an example legitimate recycling firm that
shreds everything and sends the fragments down a conveyor belt for casual
labourers to pick bits out.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

How do we know it is legitimate if the next stage in the process is not
divulged. Where did the CRT lead-loaded glass go to from there , where did
the bits of circuit board go to ?
Were TO3 devices or whatever has specifically dangerous contents , shredded
or removed prior to shredding?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair N_Cook wrote:
Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

I'd love to hear about the "dangerous" stuff in a TO3 can.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

Beryllium oxide.................sometimes.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
[...]

haha.

sounds scary. I better get the hazmat team to throw away my 1970s stereos.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On May 17, 10:28*pm, "Ian Field"
wrote:
Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

this video by artist chris jordan has some extremely disturbing points
on the shameful wastefulness of the so-called developed world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXQDp...eature=related

some more at 38 mins into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QosF0b0i2f0
- partuclarly pertinent when he looks at the ID tags and company
labels on the junk PCs.

Recycling is all well and good, but treats the symnproms not the
problem. What is really needed but not often addressed, is questioning
of the failed idea of constant growth as an ideal. see Serge Latouche
and deGrowth:
http://mondediplo.com/2004/11/14latouche

regards, B

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On May 19, 1:24*am, b wrote:

Recycling is all well and good, but treats the symnproms not the
problem.

sorry - should read : symptoms!
-B
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

"b" wrote in message
On May 17, 10:28 pm, "Ian Field"
wrote:
Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

this video by artist chris jordan has some extremely disturbing points
on the shameful wastefulness of the so-called developed world:

What I'd like to know is how to make some of the scrap PCs come my way.

Firstly I could probably find something better than I've got.

Secondly I could aquire more HDDs to store all the stuff I download.

Thirdly I could make some cash refurbishing and selling any surplus.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

"b" wrote in message
On May 17, 10:28 pm, "Ian Field"
wrote:
Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

this video by artist chris jordan has some extremely disturbing points
on the shameful wastefulness of the so-called developed world:

What I'd like to know is how to make some of the scrap PCs come my way.

Firstly I could probably find something better than I've got.

Secondly I could aquire more HDDs to store all the stuff I download.

Thirdly I could make some cash refurbishing and selling any surplus.

Tell people you know that you'll take their old computers and wipe
any personal information from the hard drives. Then ask them to tell
others about you. Be careful, or you'll get so many you won't have room
for them.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ian Field wrote:

"b" wrote in message
On May 17, 10:28 pm, "Ian Field"
wrote:
Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

this video by artist chris jordan has some extremely disturbing points
on the shameful wastefulness of the so-called developed world:

What I'd like to know is how to make some of the scrap PCs come my way.

Firstly I could probably find something better than I've got.

Secondly I could aquire more HDDs to store all the stuff I download.

Thirdly I could make some cash refurbishing and selling any surplus.

Tell people you know that you'll take their old computers and wipe
any personal information from the hard drives. Then ask them to tell
others about you. Be careful, or you'll get so many you won't have room
for them.

Most of the people I know want money for their old computer.

Recently I found a Next brand all in one flat screen jobbie in the bin room,
it was all on a single PCB with row upon row of burst electrolytics - but I
scored a 250Gb laptop style HDD and a couple of 1Gb PC2 sticks, didn't have
anything I could test the Celeron CPU in though.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ian Field wrote:

"b" wrote in message
On May 17, 10:28 pm, "Ian Field"
wrote:
Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

this video by artist chris jordan has some extremely disturbing points
on the shameful wastefulness of the so-called developed world:

What I'd like to know is how to make some of the scrap PCs come my way.

Firstly I could probably find something better than I've got.

Secondly I could aquire more HDDs to store all the stuff I download.

Thirdly I could make some cash refurbishing and selling any surplus.

Tell people you know that you'll take their old computers and wipe
any personal information from the hard drives. Then ask them to tell
others about you. Be careful, or you'll get so many you won't have room
for them.

Most of the people I know want money for their old computer.

I know people like that, too, but I know about 25X as many who just
want them out of their way.

Recently I found a Next brand all in one flat screen jobbie in the bin room,
it was all on a single PCB with row upon row of burst electrolytics - but I
scored a 250Gb laptop style HDD and a couple of 1Gb PC2 sticks, didn't have
anything I could test the Celeron CPU in though.

I picked up a working Dell Insperion 531S w/512 MB of RAM and two
good LCD monitors for free a fewweeks ago. Not only were they given to
me, but the woman insisted on loading them in my truck for me. So far,
she's given me about 20 computers and 30 monitors.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ian Field wrote:

"b" wrote in message
On May 17, 10:28 pm, "Ian Field"
wrote:
[...]

Scored a hit on freecycle today.

Someone emailed with "a few" computers - some working, some not. Turned out
to be a garage full.

Its times like this not having a car is a PITA, I turned up on the
motorcycle expecting to make a few trips, anyway with a bit of negotiation
he started loading his car - and somewhat more enthusiastically when I
offered to take all he wanted rid of, and not just pick the best bits and
leave him with the rubbish.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ian Field wrote:

"b" wrote in message
On May 17, 10:28 pm, "Ian Field"
wrote:
[...]

I picked up 7 19" gateway LCD monitors on Craig's list that only
needed a few electrolytics in the power supplies. One had a damaged
panel, and another had a damaged case, so that left six repairable 19"
monitors.

Someone emailed with "a few" computers - some working, some not. Turned out
to be a garage full.

Its times like this not having a car is a PITA, I turned up on the
motorcycle expecting to make a few trips, anyway with a bit of negotiation
he started loading his car - and somewhat more enthusiastically when I
offered to take all he wanted rid of, and not just pick the best bits and
leave him with the rubbish.

I got a phone call a couple days ago from a local thrift store that
said they have a truckload of 'computer stuff' for me to pick up early
Monday morning. They had called one of my usually pickup sites to see
who took their 'computer stuff'. Now, I need to unload the truck from
two stops on Friday. I've started doing 'triage' on the tailgate to
separate the obvious junk from the items that may work, or be worth
fixing. If something is too old to fool with, or missing too many parts
I grab a cordless drill and dismantle it outside. Then I use a
paintbrush or portable air compressor to remove most of the dust
bunnies. If something is covered in Nicotine or may have bugs, it goes
in the garage instead of the shop.