CT

Default home appliance warranty

Hi,

We got a house last year and we got a home appliance warranty with
american home shield which is about to expire now. They are asking us
to renew the warranty.

I was wondering whether it is common or recommended to have a home
appliance warranty. This warranty covers oven, range, plumbing,
dishwasher, microwave, electricals, garbage, hvac, water heater. Any
of these going wrong is unlikely but it happening cud set me back
which is quite a lot.

please let me know your opinions.

confused,

CT.
longshot

does it cover plumbing, wiring, furnace...??? or just the appliances you
listed? How much is it? I had one awhile back & maintained it for several
years.. it was about $300.00 for the year... if the house is older or you
suspect a do-it-yourselfer- with no clue lived there before you, it might be
worth it. Mine was kinda funny on exactly what it covered.. al lthe things
that typically go wrong are not covered. lile the motor in the dishwasher or
the pump in the washing machine or well. It cost $35.00 for any house call &
I did use it a couple times for the furnace & well

"CT" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We got a house last year and we got a home appliance warranty with
american home shield which is about to expire now. They are asking us
to renew the warranty.

I was wondering whether it is common or recommended to have a home
appliance warranty. This warranty covers oven, range, plumbing,
dishwasher, microwave, electricals, garbage, hvac, water heater. Any
of these going wrong is unlikely but it happening cud set me back
which is quite a lot.

please let me know your opinions.

confused,

CT.

Edwin Pawlowski

"CT" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We got a house last year and we got a home appliance warranty with
american home shield which is about to expire now. They are asking us
to renew the warranty.

Do a google search on this group. You will see very little good about them.
\Ed

Joseph Meehan

"CT" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We got a house last year and we got a home appliance warranty with
american home shield which is about to expire now. They are asking us
to renew the warranty.

Keep in mind that 50% or more of the money people spend on it will never
be returned to them. A few people will get back more than they spend but
far more spend more than they ever get back.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

jim

CT wrote:

Hi,

We got a house last year and we got a home appliance warranty with
american home shield which is about to expire now. They are asking us
to renew the warranty.

I was wondering whether it is common or recommended to have a home
appliance warranty. This warranty covers oven, range, plumbing,
dishwasher, microwave, electricals, garbage, hvac, water heater. Any
of these going wrong is unlikely but it happening cud set me back
which is quite a lot.

please let me know your opinions.

confused,

CT.

check with the radio show clark howard(national syndicated program on
saving money and not being ripped off) he also has a web site:
www.clarkhoward.com where i think these home warranty companies are a
rip off.. some dont even let you look at the contract on whats covered
until after you buy the service and find out that they dont pay much for
the work.....
but check out the web site and see what he says about it.....

DaveG

"CT" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We got a house last year and we got a home appliance warranty with
american home shield which is about to expire now. They are asking us
to renew the warranty.

I was wondering whether it is common or recommended to have a home
appliance warranty. This warranty covers oven, range, plumbing,
dishwasher, microwave, electricals, garbage, hvac, water heater. Any
of these going wrong is unlikely but it happening cud set me back
which is quite a lot.

please let me know your opinions.

confused,

CT.

The reason warranties like this are offered to the public is because they
turn a profit for the seller.
That means that in the long run, they don't pay off. Add up the cost of
this warranty, add in any deductibles you have to pay before they pay, look
at any upper limits on repairs, and you may find out that all you are doing
is pre paying for your first couple repairs. And if you never need the
warranty, you're just flushing money down the john.

Dave

Chris Lewis

According to DaveG :

The reason warranties like this are offered to the public is because they
turn a profit for the seller.
That means that in the long run, they don't pay off. Add up the cost of
this warranty, add in any deductibles you have to pay before they pay, look
at any upper limits on repairs, and you may find out that all you are doing
is pre paying for your first couple repairs. And if you never need the
warranty, you're just flushing money down the john.

Extended warrantees are like life insurance policies:

You're betting the insurance company that you'll die before they
think you will.

From a broader perspective, they're only useful if you have inside
knowledge that you _will_ die before they think you will ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Dave Harnish

Hey CT,

I now you'll get a lot of advice on this both ways, but I always
advise being very careful with these third-party companies.

I've been in the appliance service business for 32 years, and my
experience with them has ALL been negative. I've seen these co's
come and go, and they often don't cover many common problems.
Keep in mind they're in the insurance business, not the repair
business, so dealing with them can really be frustrating.

Many of the service companies that need the work badly enough
to contract with them are not going to supply you with the best
quality service, as a general rule.

Before you decide, read the 'fine print' (if there is any). If you're
at all 'handy', it usually will save you money to ditch this type of
coverage and address problems as they come up.

That's my $.02. Probably about what it's worth grin.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

"CT" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We got a house last year and we got a home appliance warranty with
american home shield which is about to expire now. They are asking us
to renew the warranty.

I was wondering whether it is common or recommended to have a home
appliance warranty. This warranty covers oven, range, plumbing,
dishwasher, microwave, electricals, garbage, hvac, water heater. Any
of these going wrong is unlikely but it happening cud set me back
which is quite a lot.

please let me know your opinions.

confused,

CT.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Korman" wrote in message
I don't think you have to put up with any crummy ONE YEAR warranty on
ANY product. Go into a store that sells and services their appliance
and TELL them you expect the appliance to last FIVE YEARS. Tell them
you want them to give you a store warranty for five years!

Re read the original post. He is talking about a warrantee from American
Home Shield, not the warrantee that is already in place by the appliance
manufacturer. AHS is a third party insurer that covers plumbing and things
not otherwise covered. They charge a lot for it too.
Ed

Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
buying a home with a new garage and no permit -- need help fast please Mail Ias Home Repair 7 October 27th 03 12:28 AM