techshare

Default Buying a house with termite damage

Hello,

Is it usually possible to get an accurate estimate of the cost of repairing
termite damage? I am asking, because I am considering buying a house with a
certain amount of termite damage. However, I fail to see how a home
inspector can really know what the costs will be to repair said damage. He
doesn't have x-ray vision ... how can anyone really know what it will cost
once the termites start chewing up the wood? I am talking about complete
repair costs (frame work, drywall work, flooring, etc). Any help on this
would be appreciated. I'm also wondering if there is some sort of a
"checklist" out there for what home buyers should know with regard to
termites, termite damage, and preventative termite protection when looking
at a home for sale.

TIA

m Ransley

An accurate estimate no

Tony Hwang

m Ransley wrote:

An accurate estimate no

Hi,
No one has X-ray vision! Could be hornets nest.
Wonder why people trying to buy house with a problem with
unknown extent? Even moving into a brand new house, there
are lots of things to steam out. Never lived in pre-owned
house. Always built house my way. After 5 times, still learning.
Tony
Lar

In article , says...
Is it usually possible to get an accurate estimate of the cost of repairing
termite damage? I am asking, because I am considering buying a house with a
certain amount of termite damage. However, I fail to see how a home
inspector can really know what the costs will be to repair said damage. He
doesn't have x-ray vision ... how can anyone really know what it will cost
once the termites start chewing up the wood? I am talking about complete
repair costs (frame work, drywall work, flooring, etc). Any help on this
would be appreciated. I'm also wondering if there is some sort of a
"checklist" out there for what home buyers should know with regard to
termites, termite damage, and preventative termite protection when looking
at a home for sale.

This is an old figure, but the average cost eight years ago on termite
repair claims of Terminix was under $200. These are repairs when termites
return so termite activity was usually just a year or two. If you happen to
know how long termite activity was before it was treated may help determine
if it might be more cosmetic repairs rather than structural. Termite
treatments are supposed to be par of the disclosure in the home sell, so they
should also be able to let you know if the home is under warranty, if
warranty will be transferred, etc. About the only preventative I would
suggest is find a company that would be willing to do a minimal treatment of
a product called Termidor around the outside and in key areas.
but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

BeamGuy

This is an old figure, but the average cost eight years ago on termite
repair claims of Terminix was under $200.

All this says is that the Terminix warantee is not worth more than the paper
it is written on. They only gaurantee to fix any "NEW DAMAGE", then
proceed to write up a document that claims there could be existing damage
anywhere. Take that to your lawyer and ask what that means... maybe they
will put paint to plug up the holes if the mudtubes poke through...

Charlie Bress

"techshare" wrote in message
Hello,

Is it usually possible to get an accurate estimate of the cost of

repairing
termite damage? I am asking, because I am considering buying a house with

certain amount of termite damage. However, I fail to see how a home
inspector can really know what the costs will be to repair said damage. He
doesn't have x-ray vision ... how can anyone really know what it will cost
once the termites start chewing up the wood? I am talking about complete
repair costs (frame work, drywall work, flooring, etc). Any help on this
would be appreciated. I'm also wondering if there is some sort of a
"checklist" out there for what home buyers should know with regard to
termites, termite damage, and preventative termite protection when looking
at a home for sale.

TIA

I would have the seller do the repair and then have the house reinspected
before buying it.
They don't want to do it?
Wish them well and keep looking for a house.
I doubt that a lending institution will lend any money without having a
clear termite report.

House with indeterminate termite damage = pig in a poke

Des Perado

My advice would be to take the advice that Charlie Bress gave in his
post here. Pass on this one and live a peaceful and happy life. This
house could be your worst nightmare.
If you can buy the place for the value of the lot alone less the cost
of tearing down and removing the existing termite-infested house, it
may be worth doing if you are madly in love with the area, but
otherwise, I'd pass.
Des

"techshare" wrote in message
[...]

techshare

Actually ... as with everything else in life.. it was some sort of
"confusion" between the realtor and the seller and the other realtors, etc..
They now say that he "fixed" the existing termite damage ... BUT the guy has
Sentricon installed which is expensive to maintain.. and I have been reading
that it has questionable reliability. Also, there is evidently some "small
fungus problem" with the bottom of the garage door and some other outside
woodwork. This is supposedly where the damage is at. I offerred about 12k
less than he is asking.. and he wants more than that. The appraisal seems
shady .... and he has some half finished addition attached to the back of
the house (no heat, connectiing hallways, floor, windows, etc)...all of the
other "buyers" have been with higher offers but requesting repairs ...
namely the roof which is original since '87 .... he also isn't willing to to
do any further repairs... so I think it's time to move on. Thanks for all
the replies ... I'm sure I'll have more questions as this hunt for my first
house continues!
"Trent©" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:29:46 -0500, "techshare"
wrote:

Hello,

Is it usually possible to get an accurate estimate of the cost of

repairing
termite damage?

No. Only the termites know for sure how much damage they've done.
And most of them don't remember what they saw anyway! lol

I am asking, because I am considering buying a house with a
certain amount of termite damage. However, I fail to see how a home
inspector can really know what the costs will be to repair said damage.

He can't...unless he's also a contractor. Not many are. And he'd be
guessing anyway.

He
doesn't have x-ray vision ... how can anyone really know what it will

cost
once the termites start chewing up the wood? I am talking about complete
repair costs (frame work, drywall work, flooring, etc). Any help on this
would be appreciated.

Termites are not as destructive as some other bugs. You can usually
easily tell where they've been...and where they're goin' at the end of
the day. Powder-post beetles are much more destructive.

Anyway...have a look at the damage...and known paths...with the
exterminator. Then get a contractor to take a look at those
areas...and get HIS guess on the extent of the damage.

After that, the amount you want to risk on that 'bet' is up to you.
If yer good at negotiating...are kinda handy...and willing to take the
risk, you can sometimes make a very good profit on this kind of
property. After all, the leverage is on your side. Not many folks
will even wanna CONSIDER the property...and the seller knows that.

If you DO decide to buy it, keep all your records...so that you can
prove that all the incidence and damage was there BEFORE you purchased
the house.

I'm also wondering if there is some sort of a
"checklist" out there for what home buyers should know with regard to
termites, termite damage, and preventative termite protection when

looking
at a home for sale.

Google is your friend!! lol And so is the public library.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?