Lar

Default Buying a house with termite damage

In article , says...
Is it usually possible to get an accurate estimate of the cost of repairing
termite damage? I am asking, because I am considering buying a house with a
certain amount of termite damage. However, I fail to see how a home
inspector can really know what the costs will be to repair said damage. He
doesn't have x-ray vision ... how can anyone really know what it will cost
once the termites start chewing up the wood? I am talking about complete
repair costs (frame work, drywall work, flooring, etc). Any help on this
would be appreciated. I'm also wondering if there is some sort of a
"checklist" out there for what home buyers should know with regard to
termites, termite damage, and preventative termite protection when looking
at a home for sale.

This is an old figure, but the average cost eight years ago on termite
repair claims of Terminix was under $200. These are repairs when termites
return so termite activity was usually just a year or two. If you happen to
know how long termite activity was before it was treated may help determine
if it might be more cosmetic repairs rather than structural. Termite
treatments are supposed to be par of the disclosure in the home sell, so they
should also be able to let you know if the home is under warranty, if
warranty will be transferred, etc. About the only preventative I would
suggest is find a company that would be willing to do a minimal treatment of
a product called Termidor around the outside and in key areas.
but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!