peter

Default tool for prying old grout out?

I find that the easiest way to remove old grout from my countertop is to
force a thin metal blade under the grout at an angle, and then pry upwards.
At the widest grout line, this tool could be a small cheap screwdriver. At
the narrowest grout line (the grout lines are not constant width), the
screwdriver won't fit. I tried using a tool from a lock-pick set. It works
except this tool is not strong enough for this purpose, so it starts to
bend. Here's a photo of the tool:

http://www.airpistol.co.uk/images/mpxs-08.gif (first tool on the left, next
to the pouch)

Can anyone think of similar tool that would fit into 1/32 grout line and is
strong? The commercial grout blade sold at home depot are way too thick to
even fit into the grout lines. For this reason, I also cannot use dremel
tool.

AJScott

In article ,
"peter" wrote:

(snip)
Can anyone think of similar tool that would fit into 1/32 grout line and is
strong? The commercial grout blade sold at home depot are way too thick to
even fit into the grout lines. For this reason, I also cannot use dremel
tool.

Have you looked for the tiny little stick-type diamond bit set for the
Dremel? Comes in a 20-pc set (made both by Dremel and the big box store
brands), and there are some incredibly tiny/thin cylinder and tapered
point bits that would almost certainly work in that grout line.

AJS

AJScott wrote:

(snip)
Can anyone think of similar tool that would fit into 1/32 grout line and is
strong? The commercial grout blade sold at home depot are way too thick to
even fit into the grout lines. For this reason, I also cannot use dremel
tool.

Are you sure that the HD grout saw won't work? Remove the tungsten
carbide part, reassemble, and I think you'll find that it's less than
1/32". I used about three blades (throwing away the tungsten part) on
my bathroom recently. Those, utility blade knives, and cotter pin
extractors (see your automotive supply store) are IMO the tools of
choice. Dremel tools are just too vicious.

FeelFree

To say anything you want.

Richard J Kinch

peter writes:

Can anyone think of similar tool that would fit into 1/32 grout line
and is strong?

Snap a hack saw blade. Can be ground to finer shapes.