M.Paul

Default Wood Burning Insert Question

I currently have a good (Majestic) zero clearance fireplace with a fan
around the box that we use to heat our entire (2200sf) 2 story house. The
problem is that we go through a lot of firewood (approx 5 cords) each year.
I am interested in installing a wood burning insert. Some say that I would
need to replace the existing flue, which is approximately 25 ft long, with
one that is a narrower diameter in order to get the correct draw. Other say
that it's not necessary. I am interested in hearing about the experiences
from those that have installed wood burning stove inserts.
Thanks,
M.Paul

RESPITE95

I have two wood burning inserts, one in the basement and one on the second
floor. They have been in for 20 years and were installed using full size flue
tiles. One (basement) will heat the whole house, 4000 sq ft., except on the
coldest days. I live in west central Alabama however. G.
Jim Strand

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:34:04 -0800, "M.Paul"
wrote:

I currently have a good (Majestic) zero clearance fireplace with a fan
around the box that we use to heat our entire (2200sf) 2 story house. The
problem is that we go through a lot of firewood (approx 5 cords) each year.
I am interested in installing a wood burning insert. Some say that I would
need to replace the existing flue, which is approximately 25 ft long, with
one that is a narrower diameter in order to get the correct draw. Other say
that it's not necessary. I am interested in hearing about the experiences
from those that have installed wood burning stove inserts.
Thanks,
M.Paul

I'm using a Avalon Rainier insert which has the optional blowers.
Last year I used one cord but had to ration my usage. This year I
started with two cords.

As a single home owner my insert use is in the evenings after work and
my days off. So far this year my gas usage is under 40% of what I
used at this time last year when I was rationing. Average temp inside
the house is much nicer

Trader

Every house I've ever walked in that used wood for heat had bad air quality.
Save a few bucks and ruin my lungs. I think not....

Anon Ymous

We had one custom made 22 years ago. It's great. I can burn 1/2 of a 24"
round at a time. That'll generally burn 6-8 hours unless it's really cold
and we crank
'er up good. the thing that I find makes this one so good, it the
circulation features we had built in to it. We had a basic shell, then an
outer shell with wide front, powered air inputs on both sides that circulate
around the shell, then out the to over the front which serves to hear the
air further. We can move one helluva lot of air. the zero clearance feature
mostly serves as a cold air return that pulls cooler air from the back of
the house to the stove. BTW, the bottom, back and sides 1/2 way up. are fire
brick lined. Our flue is the original 8x10" masonry inside a 3x4' brick
structure.

The only thing that's sort of a pain in the _ss is having to pull it out
when the chimney needs cleaning. I only have to clean mine every 3-4 years.
Once every couple of days, I really crank'er up after having thrown in a
scoop of creosote preventer on a hot bed of coals.

We;ve got an old Ashley wood stove in the family room in case it gets really
cold but I've only used it 1/2 dozen or so times in 20 years.mostly when we
get in from the snow or hunting.

BTW we live near the Hells Canyon National Recreation area and get in the
neighborhood of 160" of snow with average temps of 10-25 from dec - mar. the
house is near 2200ft and we probably don't burn 5 cords yr.

I have some friends that had one built buy the same guy from our design but
they added propane capabilities to theirs so they could have heat when they
were gone.

Have a good one,
tHAT

"M.Paul" wrote in message
I currently have a good (Majestic) zero clearance fireplace with a fan
around the box that we use to heat our entire (2200sf) 2 story house. The
problem is that we go through a lot of firewood (approx 5 cords) each

year.
I am interested in installing a wood burning insert. Some say that I

would
need to replace the existing flue, which is approximately 25 ft long, with
one that is a narrower diameter in order to get the correct draw. Other

say
that it's not necessary. I am interested in hearing about the experiences
from those that have installed wood burning stove inserts.
Thanks,
M.Paul

Tim

"Trader" wrote in message
et...
Every house I've ever walked in that used wood for heat had bad air

quality.
Save a few bucks and ruin my lungs. I think not....

I hope you don't live or ever go to a major city. I wouldn't want you to
wreck your virgin lungs on any of that nasty smog....in fact I hope you
don't drive a car or work in an office, those might be detrimental to your
health too.

Jim Strand

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:14:21 GMT, "Trader"
wrote:

Every house I've ever walked in that used wood for heat had bad air quality.
Save a few bucks and ruin my lungs. I think not....

But were any of them inserts? Closed door systems don't add particles
to the air with a possible exception of the few seconds it takes to
add wood.
Jim Strand

wrote:

Some say that I would need to replace the existing flue, which is
approximately 25 ft long, with one that is a narrower diameter in
order to get the correct draw.

Forgot to answer this part. The installation crew used a stainless
steel chimney liner on mine. Been a couple of years back now so I
don't recall all the details but I do recollect code being mentioned
as one reason.

John Galbreath

Your Majestic has a thermosiphen triple wall chimney UL listed to UL103 to
1,700 degrees. A wood stove requires UL103HT which goes to 2,100 degrees.
You should not install an insert inside the Majestic unless it has been
tested and approved for use in prefab fireplaces.

--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com/

Irondale, Alabama
888.321.Logs

"M.Paul" wrote in message
I currently have a good (Majestic) zero clearance fireplace with a fan
around the box that we use to heat our entire (2200sf) 2 story house. The
problem is that we go through a lot of firewood (approx 5 cords) each

year.
I am interested in installing a wood burning insert. Some say that I

would
need to replace the existing flue, which is approximately 25 ft long, with
one that is a narrower diameter in order to get the correct draw. Other

say
that it's not necessary. I am interested in hearing about the experiences
from those that have installed wood burning stove inserts.
Thanks,
M.Paul

M.Paul

Thank you to all for your inputs. I know that to burn less wood I need
something that I can close down. I was thinking that to save money I would
buy one of the many used inserts advertised in the newspaper classified ads,
as many people I know have simply put any insert that would fit into their
fireplace and have had no problems. I am also concerned about safety. So,
for piece of mind, I will find out what the manufacturer recommends - and if
needed have the flue reworked. BTW, I currently have a galvenized
two-wall - non-masonary flue. Thanks again for your replies.
M.Paul

Trader

Tim,

I agree that there are many health hazards out there and you can't avoid all
of them. But every house I've ever walked into that burned wood had a very
strong smoke smell to the house and the air was very, very dry. My wife and
myself can't tolerate the smoke that is added to the air we breathe. My
father-in-law burs wood in his house in Vermont (too cheap to use the
propane and he has cash) and we stopped going because of the stove. We
would wake up with dry throats and the smoke smell became sickening. I also
have a wood burning insert and stopped using it. My ceilings also needed to
be painted not to mention all the mess that goes with wood - dirt, bugs and
trying to get the darn thing lit. Personally I think gas logs are the way
to go. But some people like to be fire tenders and save money. Although,
I'm not sure how much they can save........PS HD sells wood pellets for most
stoves. These pellets burn super clean. This might be an alternative to
wood. Bugs don't eat the stuff and it doesn't freeze together like wood or
rot.