Jim Strand

Default Wood Burning Insert Question

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:34:04 -0800, "M.Paul"
wrote:

I currently have a good (Majestic) zero clearance fireplace with a fan
around the box that we use to heat our entire (2200sf) 2 story house. The
problem is that we go through a lot of firewood (approx 5 cords) each year.
I am interested in installing a wood burning insert. Some say that I would
need to replace the existing flue, which is approximately 25 ft long, with
one that is a narrower diameter in order to get the correct draw. Other say
that it's not necessary. I am interested in hearing about the experiences
from those that have installed wood burning stove inserts.
Thanks,
M.Paul

I'm using a Avalon Rainier insert which has the optional blowers.
Last year I used one cord but had to ration my usage. This year I
started with two cords.

As a single home owner my insert use is in the evenings after work and
my days off. So far this year my gas usage is under 40% of what I
used at this time last year when I was rationing. Average temp inside
the house is much nicer