mel

Default glue question for wet wood

I've been asked to build a wood gate for one of my builders out of western
red cedar. The wood is green with alot of moisture content. Allowing it to
dry isn't an option due to time constraints. I was wondering what sort of
glue would be best to use. I plan to peg the tendons to help keep it
together as the wood dries and shrinks.

Woody

"mel" wrote in message
. ..
I've been asked to build a wood gate for one of my builders out of western
red cedar. The wood is green with alot of moisture content. Allowing it

dry isn't an option due to time constraints. I was wondering what sort of
glue would be best to use. I plan to peg the tendons to help keep it
together as the wood dries and shrinks.

A good urethane glue might do the trick.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Woodworking Techniques & Projects
- Kreg Right Angle Clamp
- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw
- Dowelmax Doweling System
- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

Doug Miller

In article , "mel" wrote:
I've been asked to build a wood gate for one of my builders out of western
red cedar. The wood is green with alot of moisture content. Allowing it to
dry isn't an option due to time constraints. I was wondering what sort of
glue would be best to use. I plan to peg the tendons to help keep it
together as the wood dries and shrinks.

If the wood is green enough that your description of it as "wet" is accurate,
then I believe you misunderstand the situation. *Not* allowing it to dry isn't
an option due to time constraints. If you think you don't have the time to do
it right, you *definitely* don't have the time to do it *over*.

--
Regards,
Lazarus Long

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:20:50 GMT, "mel"
wrote:

I've been asked to build a wood gate for one of my builders out of western
red cedar. The wood is green with alot of moisture content. Allowing it to
dry isn't an option due to time constraints. I was wondering what sort of
glue would be best to use. I plan to peg the tendons to help keep it
together as the wood dries and shrinks.

Gorilla glue or other polyurethane type will work.
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I've been asked to build a wood gate for one of my builders out of western
red cedar. The wood is green with alot of moisture content.

Don't glue it, peg it. If it shrinks as it dries, it'll break whatever
glue you use.

Steve Knight

the only thing that works on wet wood is a good construction adhesive. but in
this case it sure does not sound like it will work at all.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Lazarus Long

I would have thought polyurethane would've done the trick. See how
much experience I have working green wood? zippo, nada I learn
something new all the time.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:42:22 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

the only thing that works on wet wood is a good construction adhesive. but in
this case it sure does not sound like it will work at all.

Bill Thomas

Greetings,

Given you have green wood and mortise and tenon joints,
you should consider draw bored mortise and tenon joints.
See this URL for more information:

http://www.greenwoodworking.com/draw.htm

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas

mel wrote:
I've been asked to build a wood gate for one of my builders out of western
red cedar. The wood is green with alot of moisture content. Allowing it to
dry isn't an option due to time constraints. I was wondering what sort of
glue would be best to use. I plan to peg the tendons to help keep it
together as the wood dries and shrinks.

Steve Knight

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:55:37 -0500, Lazarus Long
wrote:

I would have thought polyurethane would've done the trick. See how
much experience I have working green wood? zippo, nada I learn
something new all the time.

well it may stick but it does not have the flex to handle shrinking wood like
wet wood. not much does.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
mel

thanks for your imput. To clarify, the "green" cedar I'm using is "green"
by industry standards...it's not fresh cut and it's all that's availible.
Currently the boards are at 25% moisture content. One of the
characteristics of cedar is that it's very stable with little dimensional
change during drying. I've built many projects using mechanical fasteners
that have withstood the test of time using this "green" wood. A side note,
cedar contains chemicals that's very corrosive to fasteners so a coated or
galvanized fastener is a must. The gate I'm building will be held together
by pegged mortise and tendon joints. The tendons will be undercut just
enough to allow shrinkage of the mortise. I'll post a pic after it's
finished. Once again thanks for your imput.
Mel

. ..