Mike

Default DeWalt DW929K-2 Cordless Drill

Anybody familar with the Dewalt DW929K-2 cordless drill?
It's a lightweight (4.5 lbs) 3/8" 18 volt cordless drill.
I want to buy one but would like to hear from others
who know something about it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

I enlarged the partition/passage between the dini8ng room and living room.
I used two drilled w/ power cords. a Cordless drill will be nice.
Yep, it's a little heavy the DW928 is 14 volts and weighs 4.2 instead of
4.6 for the DW929.
I wonder if I can get by w/ 14 volts?

Mike'

"Billy" wrote in message
It's a great tool and does almost anything I need. Very durable and
convenient. A real powerhouse. However, I would suggest a corded power

drill
for masonry. Also, be aware that if holding up high - it is heavy.

"Mike" wrote in message
Anybody familar with the Dewalt DW929K-2 cordless drill?
It's a lightweight (4.5 lbs) 3/8" 18 volt cordless drill.
I want to buy one but would like to hear from others
who know something about it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

A buddy told me he only needs a 1/2" chuck when drill masonry.
What other uses for a 1/2"? I'm clueless.

Mike

"MrAoD" wrote in message
Mike asks

Anybody familar with the Dewalt DW929K-2 cordless drill?
It's a lightweight (4.5 lbs) 3/8" 18 volt cordless drill.
I want to buy one but would like to hear from others
who know something about it.

I've got its bigger brother, the 18V 1/2". Can't remember the model no.

but
it's the one with the hammerdrill setting. Works like a charm after five

years
of medium duty.

Mine's the older version, they came out with the XRP version about

two-three
years ago. Supposedly they upgraded some of the internal plastic parts to
metal in the XRP models, plus 3 speed settings instead of two.

If the $$ difference between the 3/8" and the 1/2" is agreeable to you I'd
suggest moving up to the 1/2"-er. The hammerdrill function works

surprisingly
well in light duty, and the extra chuck capacity never hurts.

If you want to save bucks and the drill will only see light duty, consider
moving down a step to the 14.4V, the 18V is one heavy mother, especially

after
the first hour or so. From what I've heard there's little performance
difference between the 14.4 and the 18 when used for the basic functions

of
drilling/driving. And the batteries are cheaper too.

Battery life is good, I can go about 2 hrs of near-constant

drilling/driving.

I've also got the 6 1/2" Dewalt circ saw which is really handy for light

duty.
Cuts sheet goods like buttah, 2X lumber ditto. Runs the batteries down

much
quicker than the drill tho.

Marc

mark Ransley

Buy it ,,use it for 3hrs , Hate it , its, weight even Swarzeneger
would say its a Workout . Butt go for it Plenty of Butt heads do

mark Ransley

Buy it ,,use it for 3hrs , Hate it , its, weight even Swarzeneger
would say its a Workout . Butt go for it Plenty of Butt heads do

3GCPO

"Mike" wrote in message
Anybody familar with the Dewalt DW929K-2 cordless drill?
It's a lightweight (4.5 lbs) 3/8" 18 volt cordless drill.
I want to buy one but would like to hear from others
who know something about it.

Thanks,

Mike

this drill lasted a whole 6 months of daily use.
I would not recommend it.
(switch problems and charger problems.)
the Craftsman 18v is still going (3 years later of daily use)

_\ \ \ | / / / _
( ' 0 - - 0 ' )
-----ooO----(__)----Ooo-----
3GCPO

Mike

The 18 volt is capabl;e of 400lbs torque and the 14 volt is capable of 350
lbs torque. I don't know under which conditions the extra 50lbs of torque
will be useful. Any examples when the extra 50lbs torque comes in handy?

Mike
'
"MrAoD" wrote in message
Mike asks

[...]

mark Ransley

Volts , Smolts , Unless U live With It , U know ****............,
But U Bone Heads Dont , 9.6 vs 24 is how its how its used
........9.6 is light Haaaa Ha

mark Ransley

Volts , Smolts , Unless U live With It , U know ****............,
But U Bone Heads Dont , 9.6 vs 24 is how its how its used
........9.6 is light Haaaa Ha

CBHvac

I use a 1/2 for lots of things, other than my job.
You have a 1.2 chuck and you dont worry about the size of the bit, or the
tool you may be using on the drill....
You get a 3/8ths and you will find, soon enough, you will be wishing you had
the 1/2 inch.

The only 3/8th drill I have is a 90 degree DeWalt that I got for a steal at
my local supply company...
Of course, we wont talk about the Milwaukee 18V 1/2 that I got for
$50..new...

"Mike" wrote in message
A buddy told me he only needs a 1/2" chuck when drill masonry.
What other uses for a 1/2"? I'm clueless.

Mike

"MrAoD" wrote in message
Mike asks

[...]

MrAoD

Mike asks

The 18 volt is capabl;e of 400lbs torque and the 14 volt is capable of 350
lbs torque. I don't know under which conditions the extra 50lbs of torque
will be useful. Any examples when the extra 50lbs torque comes in handy?

Driving lag bolts or large/long screws. Takes a bit of practice but if you're
careful you won't sheer off many screw heads. Also the extra torque comes in
handy in situations when you don't want to drill a pilot hole, e.g.
sheetrocking.

My technique is to get the screw seated then "bump" 'em in with short steady
bursts of power.

Oh yeah, the torque will also twist your arm off if you've got the clutch
setting too high.

Go with the 1/2" chuck if at all possible, it'll handle any kind of drill bit
or accessory, including hole saws and Forstner bits.

I may have overstated the case when referring to the working weight of the 18V.
Lord knows I'm no Hercules but I can handle it for a couple-three hours. It's
not like you're constantly holding the thing over your head. Get a hook or
holster for your nail belt, use it early and often, that'll save you a bit of
pain.

FWIW, over on rec.woodworking a while back some fella claimed to have made a
belt battery for the Dewally. Used gel pack cells, hung it off his nail belt
and connected it to the drill via a wire. 90% of the weight's in the battery.
Check over in the wreck if you're interested.

Marc

"MrAoD" wrote in message
Mike asks

[...]

3GCPO

"Mike" wrote in message
I'll porobably return the 18 volt and get a 14 volt.

forget DeWalt line entirely
buy the Craftsman 18v.
it is a much better cordless drill.
I have owned over 30 Dewalt tools over the past 15 years.
the only one that is still working is the "bisquit jointer".

Craftsman,Porta Cable and Milwaukee are better than any Dewalt.

That "is" my professional opinion

Mike
'
"3GCPO" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Anybody familar with the Dewalt DW929K-2 cordless drill?
It's a lightweight (4.5 lbs) 3/8" 18 volt cordless drill.
I want to buy one but would like to hear from others
who know something about it.

Thanks,

Mike

this drill lasted a whole 6 months of daily use.
I would not recommend it.
(switch problems and charger problems.)
the Craftsman 18v is still going (3 years later of daily use)

_\ \ \ | / / / _
( ' 0 - - 0 ' )
-----ooO----(__)----Ooo-----
3GCPO

berkshire bill

"MrAoD" wrote in message
Mike asks

The 18 volt is capabl;e of 400lbs torque and the 14 volt is capable of

350
lbs torque. I don't know under which conditions the extra 50lbs of

torque
will be useful. Any examples when the extra 50lbs torque comes in

handy?

Driving lag bolts or large/long screws. Takes a bit of practice but if

you're
careful you won't sheer off many screw heads. Also the extra torque comes

in
handy in situations when you don't want to drill a pilot hole, e.g.
sheetrocking.

My technique is to get the screw seated then "bump" 'em in with short

steady
bursts of power.

People that repair electric motors tell me that is the best way to burn the
armature.

Happy modeming,
Bill

mark Ransley

Its ' lightweight' ,,, use it for a day, it will be your Hated
overweight tool

mark Ransley