Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Yard-work :city style

On 10/16/2016 10:46 PM, micky wrote:
Anyhow, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a mulching blade worked better
on the grass part. This actually makes me feel better. I thought I
should change blades in the fall to mulch my leaves, but now I realize
that mulching leaves is not the point of the other blade.

The mulchers save a lot of work and they're also good for the lawn. The
nutrients came out of the soil, and you're putting them back where they
belong. If you let the grass get really long it can bog down the engine
depending on how much HP you have. I try to hit it once a week or so
depending on how it's growing. Not mowing the same pattern helps too.
One week I mow the long way of the yard, the next perpendicular, and the
third diagonally and it seems to work.

Basically all I know is what I've read on the internet. The guy who had
been cutting my lawn for twenty years or so died and I found myself
going into my second childhood pushing a lawnmower around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2016 09:17 AM, philo wrote:
Although I like having my natural yard I fully admit I am too lazy to do
yard work!

I'd go for a natural yard but the UPS guy would get lost looking for the
deck. There is what you might call a natural yard in back of the house
that the cows keep under control. If I let them out of the pasture I
would have more problems than the odd passing dog crapping on the lawn
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2016 09:14 AM, philo wrote:
Too late now but I will be trapping and relocating them next week.

Good luck. I had a friend who went the Hav-A-Hart route to solve his
raccoon problem. I think the coons beat him home. Around here the big
deal is trapping problem bears and relocating them. That works about as
well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOE-m7sX9E

That technique might work if you kick them out 5 drainages away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2016 10:17 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/17/2016 09:14 AM, philo wrote:
Too late now but I will be trapping and relocating them next week.

Good luck. I had a friend who went the Hav-A-Hart route to solve his
raccoon problem. I think the coons beat him home. Around here the big
deal is trapping problem bears and relocating them. That works about as
well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOE-m7sX9E

That technique might work if you kick them out 5 drainages away.

I've gone through this before.

The trapped squirrels must be taken away many miles...at least five or ten.

The first time I relocated them I just dropped them off on the other
side of the river.

On the say home I saw them swimming back!

Once the squirrels are gone though others will take their place...

my objective is to get the one squirrel that insists in gnawing on my house
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2016 10:10 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/17/2016 09:17 AM, philo wrote:
Although I like having my natural yard I fully admit I am too lazy to do
yard work!

I'd go for a natural yard but the UPS guy would get lost looking for the
deck. There is what you might call a natural yard in back of the house
that the cows keep under control. If I let them out of the pasture I
would have more problems than the odd passing dog crapping on the lawn
though.

I have the clean the spider webs away from the bushes on either side of
the sidewalk that leads to my house...

the mail carriers hate them

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 3:06:55 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 10/18/2016 10:28 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
DerbyDad03 was thinking very hard :
On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:33:51 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

The trapped squirrels must be taken away many miles...at least five
or ten.

The first time I relocated them I just dropped them off on the other
side of the river.

On the say home I saw them swimming back!

Once the squirrels are gone though others will take their place...

my objective is to get the one squirrel that insists in gnawing on
my house

The squirrels seem to keep on moving in. I am out in the country and
have about 3 acres of land with several oak and hickory trees. In
the last 1 1/2 years I have eliminated over 30 of the tree rats.

A while back I thought I had eliminated them, but looked out one day
and there were about 5 of them up in the trees. Took about a week
but got rid of them. They still keep on comming.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

My cats were none too thrilled with them either.

My cat is a great mouser but ignores squirrels

We have a few less chipmunks thanks to my cat.

However, she's not very good at keeping the raccoons out of the garage. I
have a video of her running out through the cat door a few seconds after
they came waddling in. She made as wide a circle around them as she could.

It's a good thing there wasn't anything on the other side of the cat door
because she didn't "test" it like she usually does. She ran right through
it at full speed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-18, philo wrote:

On 10/18/2016 09:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Yep

So what? Outer space is unnatural?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2016 10:14 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/16/2016 04:59 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 10/16/2016 4:10 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/15/2016 07:06 PM, Bob F wrote:
On.
This time of year the city will come automatically

I just thought it weird as the leaves just could have been used for
mulch...the whole thing seemed like a waste of time and money.

Disagree.

Leaves are a poor choice for mulch.
They blow around, they are flammable,
they aren't very good at stopping weeds.

They work great here in Seattle.

All I know is that I never rake my leaves, they just decompose in the
spring.

That said: They are a bad idea to use on a vegetable garden ...they
serve as a breeding ground for slugs

Slug bait

sheesh , way easier just not to put the leaves there.

But it's always something.

This year instead of growing regular sized tomatoes I foolish grew a lot
of "cherry" tomatoes as well. Damn squirrels got to most of them.

Too late now but I will be trapping and relocating them next week.

I rarely have much problem with slugs because of leaf mulch, but when I
do have slugs I put out an organic slug bait at the base of the plants I
see the slugs eating, and sprinkle some on the outer parameters of the
area too.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2016 10:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

sheesh , way easier just not to put the leaves there.

But it's always something.

This year instead of growing regular sized tomatoes I foolish grew a lot
of "cherry" tomatoes as well. Damn squirrels got to most of them.

Too late now but I will be trapping and relocating them next week.

I rarely have much problem with slugs because of leaf mulch, but when I
do have slugs I put out an organic slug bait at the base of the plants I
see the slugs eating, and sprinkle some on the outer parameters of the
area too.

When I have a slug problem I use diatomaceous earth
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 6:03:10 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 10/18/2016 10:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

sheesh , way easier just not to put the leaves there.

But it's always something.

This year instead of growing regular sized tomatoes I foolish grew a lot
of "cherry" tomatoes as well. Damn squirrels got to most of them.

Too late now but I will be trapping and relocating them next week.

I rarely have much problem with slugs because of leaf mulch, but when I
do have slugs I put out an organic slug bait at the base of the plants I
see the slugs eating, and sprinkle some on the outer parameters of the
area too.

When I have a slug problem I use diatomaceous earth

Put a little salt on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2016 5:03 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/18/2016 10:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

sheesh , way easier just not to put the leaves there.

But it's always something.

This year instead of growing regular sized tomatoes I foolish grew a lot
of "cherry" tomatoes as well. Damn squirrels got to most of them.

Too late now but I will be trapping and relocating them next week.

I rarely have much problem with slugs because of leaf mulch, but when I
do have slugs I put out an organic slug bait at the base of the plants I
see the slugs eating, and sprinkle some on the outer parameters of the
area too.

When I have a slug problem I use diatomaceous earth

yes! That's another good one to use, but if it gets rained on it's not
so effective.

--
Maggie