Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CRT TV Disposal/Recycling

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:13:15 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

I also remember from my younger days that CRT TV's have a dangerous high
voltage charge in them that stays stored up and "hot" even with the TV off
and unplugged. I do remember having to safely discharge that before working
on the TV, but I didn't remember how.

Here are a couple of links that talk about that danger and how to safely do
the discharge of the stored up high voltage:

That charge is only stored for a short time. If the tv is unplugged for
a few days, the charge vanishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In another thread in this group ("Can't repair home office printer ..."), a
side issue was raised about CRT TV's needing to be recycled (sometimes for a
fee) instead of being put out at the curb with regular trash. One person
mentioned that sometimes scrap metal people tear apart old TV's to get the
"copper deflection coil".

That started me wondering if one option would be for people to disassemble
old CRT TV's and separate out the parts into different categories of recycle
material and dispose of them that way.

So, for whatever it is worth, I posted the following thoughts and info that
I found on the Internet about this. I am just wondering what others think
about this as a way of getting rid of old TV's.

Here is what I wrote:

Interesting. I never knew about that. I just did a Google search
for --- crt tv copper deflection coil --- and the results include
YouTube videos etc. on how to remove the copper from old CRT TV's. I
wonder how much one typical copper deflection coil is worth as scrap
these days -- probably not a lot, I assume. But, for scrappers, I
guess it's one more copper item to add to their pile/collection for
recycle.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crt+tv+copper+deflection+coil

I just watched some of the YouTube videos and I checked out some of the
other links.

Recycling the copper seems like a lot of work for not much copper. I think
a rough estimate of the weight of the copper from the deflection coil is
about 150 grams or about 0.33 pounds. I doubt that 1/3 lb of copper is
worth much as scrap.

One of the videos also mention a degaussing wire around the edge of the
video screen. I don't know what that would be worth.

I also remember from my younger days that CRT TV's have a dangerous high
voltage charge in them that stays stored up and "hot" even with the TV off
and unplugged. I do remember having to safely discharge that before working
on the TV, but I didn't remember how.

Here are a couple of links that talk about that danger and how to safely do
the discharge of the stored up high voltage:

http://crackedraytube.com/pdfs/oscil...v_tutorial.pdf

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-take-apart-TV/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

In my state you can take CRTs to Goodwill or many other places for free
recycling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

In our area, electronics loosely defined can be dropped off
as electronic waste recycling - usually placed in green shipping
containers - and presumably there is some value - because some
charities such as Habitat For Humanity will accept the stuff.
.... who-knows-where the shipping containers end up -
or how much is actually re-cycled .. ?
Batteries are collected separately.
The only restriction that I have seen is - at one place -
they didn't accept the very large CRT televisions 37 inch +.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

Around here all the Goodwills and other thrift stores have signs at the door, No TVs accepted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

The scrappers are starting to thin out around here. I guess that is
because the construction industry is picking up again.
A couple years ago, just about anything you set on the curb would be
gone in a day.
When the scrappers were working the curb, a few ounces of copper was a
gold mine to them. They would stop and cut the power cord off of a
lamp.
I do think the dangers of taking TVs apart is a tad overstated. They
all have bleeders on the high voltage these days and the CRTs are
protected from implosion. Even if you did take a hit from the flyback,
it would scare you but it wouldn't hurt you.
BTDT on one that was plugged in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In our area, electronics loosely defined can be dropped off
as electronic waste recycling - usually placed in green shipping
containers - and presumably there is some value - because some
charities such as Habitat For Humanity will accept the stuff.
... who-knows-where the shipping containers end up -
or how much is actually re-cycled .. ?
Batteries are collected separately.
The only restriction that I have seen is - at one place -
they didn't accept the very large CRT televisions 37 inch +.
John T.

Most if not all of this gets shipped to 3d world countries where they
strip it for metals. These are usually toxic waste dumps when they are
done.

Hopefully, these responsible re-cycling practices would help prove
you wrong :

http://ontarioelectronicstewardship....ble-recycling/

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR expressed precisely :

[...]

I also remember from my younger days that CRT TV's have a dangerous high
voltage charge in them that stays stored up and "hot" even with the TV off
and unplugged. I do remember having to safely discharge that before working
on the TV, but I didn't remember how.

A shorting probe from the high voltage connection to ground.

Another thing to remember is that if you have the bleeder resistor
disconnected, like having the CRT completely separated from the rest of
the TV, and you have already discharged it, the charge can build back
up a little. So, it is best to short it from the neck end to the HV
contact end and keep it shorted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

Not worth the bother. My recycle trash collector took one a couple of
years ago. I had mentioned Best Buy in another post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the price of scrap has collapsed. its so low its not worth the effort.

i scrapped a van years ago got over 450 bucks

now 75.00 or 50 bucks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
TimR typed:

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

Same here except that a few will accept the ones that have video in/out
ports (or something like that) -- I believe so kids can use them with video
games or to play DVD's etc..

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Frank" "frank "frank typed:

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

No longer true around here -- New Jersey. It is not longer legal to put
them out on the regular trash or recycle trash, and they won't be picked up.
And, Best Buy no longer takes them for free. You have to pay $25 each for
them to accept them at Best Buy, and even then, only up to a certain size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have been known to take out the CRT and break it into small pieces and fee3d it out in the regular garbage over a period of a few weeks, and find a place to take the rest of the set Without the CRT, there are a few places still taking electronics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 12:15:44 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Frank" "frank "frank typed:

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

Herer in Ontario you pay a "WEEP" fee on all electronics at purchase -
prepaying the disposal fee. There are licenced recycling contractors
that will accept all e-waste free of charge. This replaces the "pay to
dispose" scenario that until a few years ago resulted in a lot of
illegal roadside dumping, and e-scrap being left on private property.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 2:58:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have been known to take out the CRT and break it into small pieces and fee3d it out in the regular garbage over a period of a few weeks, and find a place to take the rest of the set Without the CRT, there are a few places still taking electronics.

I did the same thing with a 34 inch CRT tv..

dumped it over a railing repeatedly it fell and smashed nicely it must of weighed 300 pounds....

after 2 drops i used a large pinch bar to break it apart futher.

the glas was unreal thick.....

because it weighed so much i put it out a little bit every week for at least 2 months..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote:
In ,
Frank" "frank "frank typed:

Here is what I wrote:

[...]

Here, state said manufactures were responsible for disposal. #‚¬|#}%% Best
Buy and the like, are not allowed to charge, so NO disposal. ¥£}%* So, the
state set up occasional disposal points, that charge. Â¥]+^%‚¬Â£!!!

We got a bunch of rivers here. If you break something up in little pieces
and stick em in a box, garbage men can't see anything illegal.

Greg

Recycling ownerbuilder2012 Home Repair 6 December 12th 12 06:56 AM
Disposal/recycling of waste oil Nick UK diy 10 February 8th 09 12:28 PM
Recycling a DC? Wade Lippman Woodworking 18 August 4th 07 04:47 PM
Recycling The Medway Handyman UK diy 44 July 24th 07 07:41 PM
Need data on recent recycling, disposal experiences from shops. [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 September 25th 05 09:20 PM