Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CRT TV Disposal/Recycling

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 12:15:44 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Frank" "frank "frank typed:
On 10/7/2016 12:13 PM, TomR wrote:
In another thread in this group ("Can't repair home office printer
..."), a side issue was raised about CRT TV's needing to be recycled
(sometimes for a fee) instead of being put out at the curb with
regular trash. One person mentioned that sometimes scrap metal
people tear apart old TV's to get the "copper deflection coil".

That started me wondering if one option would be for people to
disassemble old CRT TV's and separate out the parts into different
categories of recycle material and dispose of them that way.

So, for whatever it is worth, I posted the following thoughts and
info that I found on the Internet about this. I am just wondering
what others think about this as a way of getting rid of old TV's.

Here is what I wrote:

Interesting. I never knew about that. I just did a Google search
for --- crt tv copper deflection coil --- and the results include
YouTube videos etc. on how to remove the copper from old CRT TV's. I
wonder how much one typical copper deflection coil is worth as scrap
these days -- probably not a lot, I assume. But, for scrappers, I
guess it's one more copper item to add to their pile/collection for
recycle.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crt+tv+copper+deflection+coil

I just watched some of the YouTube videos and I checked out some of
the other links.

Recycling the copper seems like a lot of work for not much copper. I
think a rough estimate of the weight of the copper from the
deflection coil is about 150 grams or about 0.33 pounds. I doubt
that 1/3 lb of copper is worth much as scrap.

One of the videos also mention a degaussing wire around the edge of
the video screen. I don't know what that would be worth.

I also remember from my younger days that CRT TV's have a dangerous
high voltage charge in them that stays stored up and "hot" even with
the TV off and unplugged. I do remember having to safely discharge
that before working on the TV, but I didn't remember how.

Here are a couple of links that talk about that danger and how to
safely do the discharge of the stored up high voltage:

http://crackedraytube.com/pdfs/oscil...v_tutorial.pdf

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-take-apart-TV/

Not worth the bother. My recycle trash collector took one a couple of
years ago. I had mentioned Best Buy in another post.

No longer true around here -- New Jersey. It is not longer legal to put
them out on the regular trash or recycle trash, and they won't be picked up.
And, Best Buy no longer takes them for free. You have to pay $25 each for
them to accept them at Best Buy, and even then, only up to a certain size.

Herer in Ontario you pay a "WEEP" fee on all electronics at purchase -
prepaying the disposal fee. There are licenced recycling contractors
that will accept all e-waste free of charge. This replaces the "pay to
dispose" scenario that until a few years ago resulted in a lot of
illegal roadside dumping, and e-scrap being left on private property.