Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default CRT TV Disposal/Recycling

On 10/7/2016 9:13 AM, TomR wrote:
In another thread in this group ("Can't repair home office printer ..."), a
side issue was raised about CRT TV's needing to be recycled (sometimes for a
fee) instead of being put out at the curb with regular trash. One person
mentioned that sometimes scrap metal people tear apart old TV's to get the
"copper deflection coil".

That started me wondering if one option would be for people to disassemble
old CRT TV's and separate out the parts into different categories of recycle
material and dispose of them that way.

So, for whatever it is worth, I posted the following thoughts and info that
I found on the Internet about this. I am just wondering what others think
about this as a way of getting rid of old TV's.

Here is what I wrote:

Interesting. I never knew about that. I just did a Google search
for --- crt tv copper deflection coil --- and the results include
YouTube videos etc. on how to remove the copper from old CRT TV's. I
wonder how much one typical copper deflection coil is worth as scrap
these days -- probably not a lot, I assume. But, for scrappers, I
guess it's one more copper item to add to their pile/collection for
recycle.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crt+tv+copper+deflection+coil

I just watched some of the YouTube videos and I checked out some of the
other links.

Recycling the copper seems like a lot of work for not much copper. I think
a rough estimate of the weight of the copper from the deflection coil is
about 150 grams or about 0.33 pounds. I doubt that 1/3 lb of copper is
worth much as scrap.

One of the videos also mention a degaussing wire around the edge of the
video screen. I don't know what that would be worth.

I also remember from my younger days that CRT TV's have a dangerous high
voltage charge in them that stays stored up and "hot" even with the TV off
and unplugged. I do remember having to safely discharge that before working
on the TV, but I didn't remember how.

Here are a couple of links that talk about that danger and how to safely do
the discharge of the stored up high voltage:

http://crackedraytube.com/pdfs/oscil...v_tutorial.pdf

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-take-apart-TV/

In my state you can take CRTs to Goodwill or many other places for free
recycling.