Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hurricane Mathew

Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the path
of this nasty storm?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 11:30:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the path
of this nasty storm?

I'm in Florida not really close. (other coast) We will still get gusty
wind and swats of hard rain with the random chance of a tornado. I am
not worried about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 11:30:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the path
of this nasty storm?

Left Florida in '89. Lived there all my life and went through a number
of hurricanes. My in-laws recently moved near Orlando from New
Jersey. They were here to visit a week or so ago (Las Vegas) before
their cruise from Vancouver down the Pacific coast. They were
scheduled to fly from Los Angeles to Orlando this morning. The flight
was canceled so they changed their flight and will visit us again in
the morning.

The storm is a slow mover with potential of a CAT 4 with sustained
winds ~ 145 MPH nearing Orlando along the Eastern coast of Florida.

Stores shelves are already empty of food in some places and mass
evacuations are taking place. The Governor is on the job.

_Gov. Rick Scott: Hurricane Matthew 'will be devastating'_

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5159394290001/gov-rick-scott-hurricane-matthew-will-be-devastating/?playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zk784mc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/10/2016 18:26, Oren wrote:
[...]

Ok and thanks for a detailed heads up. The storm certainly looks very
nasty indeed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren pretended :
[...]

I think he's doing a good job in not playing down the danger. I like
that he said there will be no rescuing of people who decide to stay and
hunker down because it puts the rescuers in danger. People should take
the danger seriously, even if it doesn't pan out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 13:55:26 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5159394290001/gov-rick-scott-hurricane-matthew-will-be-devastating/?playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zk784mc

I think he's doing a good job in not playing down the danger. I like
that he said there will be no rescuing of people who decide to stay and
hunker down because it puts the rescuers in danger. People should take
the danger seriously, even if it doesn't pan out.

Florida hasn't had a major hurricane like this in about 11 years.
Folks get complacent. Many people moving to Florida have never
experienced this kind of danger. Better to be safe and hope the storm
moves East and not make landfall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/16 1:26 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

This may get up around upper part of NC and pull a u-turn and head back
according to at least some of the models. One brings all the way across
Fl around Orlando and then out to the Gulf. This could get REALLY
interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/06/2016 1:10 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Current forecast calls for just rain at worst in KW. They don't even
have tropical storm warnings up further south than Marathon. They aren't
closing any the bridges, so she should be okay. Could be interesting
trying to get back out, but there are worse places to the stranded than KW.

Yeah, as long as nothing changes drastically...altho a major westward
swing would be pretty unusual.

I think the projected track thru the early weekend _most_
interesting--essentially a U turn and possibly, if one were to project
even further out than the last map I saw, back into warm-enough waters
to regenerate and come back around for another swipe... That'd be
pretty remarkable; don't know if it's ever happened since have recorded
observations or not.

Meanwhile, I guess we didn't lose CA Tuesday...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 2:48:09 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 10/06/2016 1:10 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Current forecast calls for just rain at worst in KW. They don't even
have tropical storm warnings up further south than Marathon. They aren't
closing any the bridges, so she should be okay. Could be interesting
trying to get back out, but there are worse places to the stranded than KW.

Yeah, as long as nothing changes drastically...altho a major westward
swing would be pretty unusual.

I think the projected track thru the early weekend _most_
interesting--essentially a U turn and possibly, if one were to project
even further out than the last map I saw, back into warm-enough waters
to regenerate and come back around for another swipe... That'd be
pretty remarkable; don't know if it's ever happened since have recorded
observations or not.

Meanwhile, I guess we didn't lose CA Tuesday...

D*mn! Now I gotta go through with the plans to visit SWMBO family's next
month. I was hoping for an event that didn't hurt anybody but still
prevented access. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 14:07:10 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

This may get up around upper part of NC and pull a u-turn and head back
according to at least some of the models. One brings all the way across
Fl around Orlando and then out to the Gulf. This could get REALLY
interesting.

The Barometric pressure is falling. It gets ugly when that happens.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5159742334001/hurricane-matthew-strengthens-as-pressure-continues-to-drop/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/hzq2dpm

Partially open a window on the leeward side of the house or it will
suck the roof off.

Andrew, a CAT 5 , the bm pressure dropped before landfall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Oren formulated :
wrote:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5159394290001/gov-rick-scott-hurricane-matthew-will-be-devastating/?playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zk784mc

I think he's doing a good job in not playing down the danger. I like
that he said there will be no rescuing of people who decide to stay and
hunker down because it puts the rescuers in danger. People should take
the danger seriously, even if it doesn't pan out.

Florida hasn't had a major hurricane like this in about 11 years.

12 years ago they had four in a 45 day period.

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane...rought-may2016

Folks get complacent. Many people moving to Florida have never
experienced this kind of danger. Better to be safe and hope the storm
moves East and not make landfall.

I agree, it's good practice.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/06/2016 2:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 2:48:09 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Meanwhile, I guess we didn't lose CA Tuesday...

D*mn! Now I gotta go through with the plans to visit SWMBO family's next
month. I was hoping for an event that didn't hurt anybody but still
prevented access. ;-)

Who knows still a month to go... Full moon's a "super moon" come
about mid-month, besides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 1:40 PM, Bod wrote:
On 06/10/2016 18:26, Oren wrote:
[...]

Friend in Myrtle Beach just posted on Facebook that they had boarded up
her grocery store. She showed a photo of her emergency food supply just
bought at the store before their closing - an Almond Joy bar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 6:06:37 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 10/06/2016 2:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 2:48:09 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Meanwhile, I guess we didn't lose CA Tuesday...

D*mn! Now I gotta go through with the plans to visit SWMBO family's next
month. I was hoping for an event that didn't hurt anybody but still
prevented access. ;-)

Who knows still a month to go... Full moon's a "super moon" come
about mid-month, besides.

I was looking at air traffic in the FL area on Flightaware. Surprising
amount of traffic, eg Orlando has planes coming and going, right now.
South of there, traffic is staying over the west side of FL. I saw
one crazy ******* heading straight into the eye. Clicked on it and it's
a P3-Orion, one of NOAAs hurricane hunters. Shows it's path has been
zigzagging back and forth across it. I wouldn't be good for that job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 16:26:09 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I was looking at air traffic in the FL area on Flightaware. Surprising
amount of traffic, eg Orlando has planes coming and going, right now.
South of there, traffic is staying over the west side of FL. I saw
one crazy ******* heading straight into the eye. Clicked on it and it's
a P3-Orion, one of NOAAs hurricane hunters. Shows it's path has been
zigzagging back and forth across it. I wouldn't be good for that job.

In the case of storms like this military fly jets to other states.
Some as far as MO or as near as AL. Commercial airlines do the same.

When the wind gets to high they get out. Winds to high they can't take
off safely.

Hurricane trackers fly high and well above the storm. It is safe to do
it. They can fly into the eye of the storm like it is clear day. They
drop test devices to determine storm conditions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 7:26 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I was looking at air traffic in the FL area on Flightaware. Surprising
amount of traffic, eg Orlando has planes coming and going, right now.
South of there, traffic is staying over the west side of FL. I saw
one crazy ******* heading straight into the eye. Clicked on it and it's
a P3-Orion, one of NOAAs hurricane hunters. Shows it's path has been
zigzagging back and forth across it. I wouldn't be good for that job.

Jet aircraft are built to take a 600 MPH wind head on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 14:10:14 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

My daughter in law just flew down to Florida and is on her way to Key
West,if not already there, with girl friends.

Current forecast calls for just rain at worst in KW. They don't even
have tropical storm warnings up further south than Marathon. They aren't
closing any the bridges, so she should be okay. Could be interesting
trying to get back out, but there are worse places to the stranded than KW.

Hurricane parties were started down yonder. "Hurricane parties were
formed by people living in the southern hurricane areas of the United
States, especially in Florida. Events are held by people who, cannot
or choose not to evacuate during a hurricane warning,..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_party#Background
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/06/2016 7:00 PM, Oren wrote:

Hurricane trackers fly high and well above the storm. It is safe to do
it. They can fly into the eye of the storm like it is clear day. They
drop test devices to determine storm conditions.

That's the NOAA boys flying the Orions. Meanwhile, the USAF Reserve 53d
Weather Reconnaissance Squadron based at Keesler Air Force Base in
Biloxi, MS, fly Lockheed WC-130J aircraft directly into the hurricane.
Typically a mission will penetrate the hurricane's eye several times per
mission at altitudes between 500 and 10,000 feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 21:16:10 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 10/6/16 5:30 AM, Bod wrote:
Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the
path of this nasty storm?

I'm in the middle of the U.S. It affects us a bit even here.
Power line crews from Lincoln, NE are headed that way to
help after the storm passes. It's about 1400 miles to Orlando, FL.
I wonder if Walmart will be better prepared for the storm than FEMA,
the Federal Emergency Management Agency. (silly question)

Of course. A 72 year old Walmart Greeter is already posted at the
store's door, waiting to Greet the hurricane Matthew.

WELCOME TO WALMART!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 8:00 PM, Oren wrote:

Hurricane trackers fly high and well above the storm. It is safe to do
it. They can fly into the eye of the storm like it is clear day. They
drop test devices to determine storm conditions.

This is all BS. I remember reading back about 1958 that we'd be able to
control the weather by 2000. Hurricanes would be blown apart. What
happened? Damned congress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 21:35:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/6/2016 8:00 PM, Oren wrote:

Hurricane trackers fly high and well above the storm. It is safe to do
it. They can fly into the eye of the storm like it is clear day. They
drop test devices to determine storm conditions.

This is all BS. I remember reading back about 1958 that we'd be able to
control the weather by 2000. Hurricanes would be blown apart. What
happened? Damned congress.

Well, Ed you are kind of old. I heard the explosive solution when I
much younger than you.

Planes do and can fly into the eye of storms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/6/16 5:30 AM, Bod wrote:
Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the
path of this nasty storm?

I'm in the middle of the U.S. It affects us a bit even here.
Power line crews from Lincoln, NE are headed that way to
help after the storm passes. It's about 1400 miles to Orlando, FL.
I wonder if Walmart will be better prepared for the storm than FEMA,
the Federal Emergency Management Agency. (silly question)

My guess is the utility trucks are sent via train rail? Crews fly in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/6/16 5:30 AM, Bod wrote:
Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the
path of this nasty storm?

I'm in the middle of the U.S. It affects us a bit even here.
Power line crews from Lincoln, NE are headed that way to
help after the storm passes. It's about 1400 miles to Orlando, FL.
I wonder if Walmart will be better prepared for the storm than FEMA,
the Federal Emergency Management Agency. (silly question)

My guess is the utility trucks are sent via train rail? Crews fly in?

I don't know. The news reports say they will get there Saturday.
Thirteen guys with seven trucks are headed to Vero Beach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 1:47 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Plus, there is a second hurricane east of this one and if Matthew does a
U-turn it'll run smack dab into that second hurricane.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/06/2016 9:27 PM, Oren wrote:

My guess is the utility trucks are sent via train rail? Crews fly in?

Strongly doubt it; they'll just drive on down...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:39:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

My daughter in law just flew down to Florida and is on her way to Key
West,if not already there, with girl friends.

If she made it to Key West she is fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wonder if Walmart will be better prepared for the storm than FEMA,
the Federal Emergency Management Agency. (silly question)

They usually are. Walmart has lots of stuff, really close, in hardened
warehouses. They also keep their stuff moving so things can stay
fresh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 19:27:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

My guess is the utility trucks are sent via train rail? Crews fly in?

Nope, you see big convoys of trucks on the road when these things
happen. My neighbor is an FPL lineman and he goes all over the gulf
coast and up into the carolinas when things like this happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 6:30 AM, Bod wrote:
Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the path of this nasty storm?

Yah, but it's not as bad as the media's drama queens would have you believe. Most of the wind is coming from the loud mouth reporters. Sheeesh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/2016 13:14, Drama Queen wrote:
On 10/6/2016 6:30 AM, Bod wrote:
Any of you living in the US in or near the Florida area or in the path
of this nasty storm?

Yah, but it's not as bad as the media's drama queens would have you
believe. Most of the wind is coming from the loud mouth reporters.
Sheeesh!

Ok.

The eye of the hurricane - Eye of the hurricane.JPG John Fields Electronic Schematics 45 February 1st 10 12:43 AM
Hurricane Ike Al Patrick Metalworking 0 September 19th 08 02:37 AM
Hurricane Shutters John Anderson Home Ownership 11 September 22nd 04 11:43 PM
Hurricane aftermath Arch Woodturning 9 September 20th 04 06:50 AM