Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers)

If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:24:34 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Look up "box nail" and "common nail" . Or you could just take my word that
usually coated sinkers are box nails , which are smaller in diameter than
common nails . Can you guess what they use box nails for ?

To attach electrical BOXes to studs!!!

Adhesive coated, collated finish nails? JayPique Woodworking 20 April 29th 19 11:00 PM
Using no nails ss UK diy 9 January 10th 16 12:17 PM
Which nails to use Chris Styles UK diy 23 October 28th 06 09:28 PM
The nails Torge Home Repair 4 September 2nd 06 04:41 PM
no nails shushin UK diy 8 May 7th 05 07:30 PM