DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/402170-common-nails-thicker-than-same-size-coated-nails-sinkers.html)

[email protected] September 28th 16 07:46 PM

Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers)

If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Terry Coombs[_2_] September 28th 16 09:24 PM

wrote:
If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Look up "box nail" and "common nail" . Or you could just take my word that
usually coated sinkers are box nails , which are smaller in diameter than
common nails . Can you guess what they use box nails for ?
--
Snag

[email protected] September 29th 16 01:34 AM

Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:24:34 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Look up "box nail" and "common nail" . Or you could just take my word that
usually coated sinkers are box nails , which are smaller in diameter than
common nails . Can you guess what they use box nails for ?

To attach electrical BOXes to studs!!!

Ed Pawlowski September 29th 16 03:14 AM

On 9/28/2016 2:46 PM, wrote:
If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Not the same size. 16d refers to length, nothing to do with thickness.
Just as 2" screw come in different thicknesses.

[email protected] September 29th 16 10:56 PM

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:14:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/28/2016 2:46 PM, wrote:
If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Not the same size. 16d refers to length, nothing to do with thickness.
Just as 2" screw come in different thicknesses.

While I'm familiar with "box nails", I have always heard these referred
to as "SINKERS". They do the job, but for framing of wall and roof
construction, the common nails are stronger. Yet, I have never seen
common nails (same thickness) sold with that coating. I wonder why?

You are right about the length though....