Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:14:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/28/2016 2:46 PM, wrote:
If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d
coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness,
since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never
understood why.....

Not the same size. 16d refers to length, nothing to do with thickness.
Just as 2" screw come in different thicknesses.

While I'm familiar with "box nails", I have always heard these referred
to as "SINKERS". They do the job, but for framing of wall and roof
construction, the common nails are stronger. Yet, I have never seen
common nails (same thickness) sold with that coating. I wonder why?

You are right about the length though....