Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 10:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 901
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

I recall years ago, you could buy a device that plugged into any car
radio that played cassettes. The thing was pushed into the casette
opening, and a wire which is part of it, could be connected to any other
audio source.

But what about car radios that have a CD player. Is there a similar
device that can be pushed into the CD opening to allow another audio
source to be played, such as a MP3 player?



  #2   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 12:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 900
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

PaintedCow:


No cassette deck? No aux jack? No Blue Tooth?

http://www.sears.com/insten-universa...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Good luck! I've had less than stellar performance with the
many I have tried. One suggestion, have the player(iPod or
smart phone) and transmitter in the area of the cabin closest
to your car antenna. Since this is typically the rear roof
or built in to rear window, you'll need that transmitter
in the back seat.


Even with these measures, if you live in a crowded market,
the best you'll get is staticy sound in mono.
  #3   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 12:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2012
Posts: 460
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

Cow,

Many auto CD players accept line-in signals. Check your manual. If yours
does not, it may be modifiable but space is usually really limited in car
radios. It may be quite hard to do.

Dave M.


  #4   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 12:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 900
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

David L. Martel:

Does it involve opening up the head unit
and looking for place to solder a line input
to?
  #5   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 02:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,846
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 7:20:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
David L. Martel:

Does it involve opening up the head unit
and looking for place to solder a line input
to?


It may depend on the vehicle/head unit.

My Honda Odyssey did not have an AUX port, but the head unit was set up
to accept an XM Radio receiver. There is an XM connector built into the
harness near the driver's side fuse panel.

I was able to add an Aux jack to my Honda Odyssey by plugging this adapter
into the XM Radio connector. By choosing the CD4 mode on the head unit I can
listen to whatever is connected to the AUX adapter. (You can get it for much
cheaper than the price shown here)

https://www.blitzsafe.com/catalog/ho...-dmx-v-2x.html

I then added a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into any vehicle's AUX port.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450.../dp/B009NLTW60

The Bluetooth adapter is "permanently" plugged into my AUX adapter since I
don't need the AUX adapter for anything other than the Bluetooth adapter.
All wires and components are neatly hidden within the dashboard.

I did this a while back but now I understand that there are single devices
that add both the AUX port and the Bluetooth in one shot. Neater and cheaper.





  #6   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2015
Posts: 371
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On 9/23/16 9:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 7:20:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
David L. Martel:

Does it involve opening up the head unit
and looking for place to solder a line input
to?


It may depend on the vehicle/head unit.

My Honda Odyssey did not have an AUX port, but the head unit was set up
to accept an XM Radio receiver. There is an XM connector built into the
harness near the driver's side fuse panel.

I was able to add an Aux jack to my Honda Odyssey by plugging this adapter
into the XM Radio connector. By choosing the CD4 mode on the head unit I can
listen to whatever is connected to the AUX adapter. (You can get it for much
cheaper than the price shown here)

https://www.blitzsafe.com/catalog/ho...-dmx-v-2x.html

I then added a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into any vehicle's AUX port.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450.../dp/B009NLTW60

The Bluetooth adapter is "permanently" plugged into my AUX adapter since I
don't need the AUX adapter for anything other than the Bluetooth adapter.
All wires and components are neatly hidden within the dashboard.

I did this a while back but now I understand that there are single devices
that add both the AUX port and the Bluetooth in one shot. Neater and cheaper.



IIRC there are some that can be plugged into the MP3 player and then
play through an unused FM channel

  #7   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 04:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,846
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 10:56:04 AM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 9/23/16 9:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 7:20:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
David L. Martel:

Does it involve opening up the head unit
and looking for place to solder a line input
to?


It may depend on the vehicle/head unit.

My Honda Odyssey did not have an AUX port, but the head unit was set up
to accept an XM Radio receiver. There is an XM connector built into the
harness near the driver's side fuse panel.

I was able to add an Aux jack to my Honda Odyssey by plugging this adapter
into the XM Radio connector. By choosing the CD4 mode on the head unit I can
listen to whatever is connected to the AUX adapter. (You can get it for much
cheaper than the price shown here)

https://www.blitzsafe.com/catalog/ho...-dmx-v-2x.html

I then added a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into any vehicle's AUX port.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450.../dp/B009NLTW60

The Bluetooth adapter is "permanently" plugged into my AUX adapter since I
don't need the AUX adapter for anything other than the Bluetooth adapter.
All wires and components are neatly hidden within the dashboard.

I did this a while back but now I understand that there are single devices
that add both the AUX port and the Bluetooth in one shot. Neater and cheaper.



IIRC there are some that can be plugged into the MP3 player and then
play through an unused FM channel


True, but as mentioned earlier by "thekma" they usually sound like crap,
even in the best of situations. For long road trips, you have to keep
finding an unused channels to avoid interference.

Years ago I set up a list using a website like this one, but it still
didn't work out very well. Sometimes even their "best" vacant channels
sucked.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant
  #8   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 05:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2016
Posts: 461
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player


wrote in message
...
I recall years ago, you could buy a device that plugged into any car
radio that played cassettes. The thing was pushed into the casette
opening, and a wire which is part of it, could be connected to any other
audio source.

But what about car radios that have a CD player. Is there a similar
device that can be pushed into the CD opening to allow another audio
source to be played, such as a MP3 player?


Will the CD player play MP3 CDs? If so, burn the MP3s to data CDs; if not,
replace it with one that will.


  #9   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 05:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,298
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On 9/23/2016 9:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 7:20:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
David L. Martel:

Does it involve opening up the head unit
and looking for place to solder a line input
to?


It may depend on the vehicle/head unit.

My Honda Odyssey did not have an AUX port, but the head unit was set up
to accept an XM Radio receiver. There is an XM connector built into the
harness near the driver's side fuse panel.

I was able to add an Aux jack to my Honda Odyssey by plugging this adapter
into the XM Radio connector. By choosing the CD4 mode on the head unit I can
listen to whatever is connected to the AUX adapter. (You can get it for much
cheaper than the price shown here)

https://www.blitzsafe.com/catalog/ho...-dmx-v-2x.html

I then added a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into any vehicle's AUX port.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450.../dp/B009NLTW60

The Bluetooth adapter is "permanently" plugged into my AUX adapter since I
don't need the AUX adapter for anything other than the Bluetooth adapter.
All wires and components are neatly hidden within the dashboard.

I did this a while back but now I understand that there are single devices
that add both the AUX port and the Bluetooth in one shot. Neater and cheaper.



I think all new cars are coming with Bluetooth and will take all kinds
of devices. I just learned it this year having to trade in my old and
leaky car for a new one and had the experience of syncing cell phones
with it. Also learned that a lot of older drivers are clueless on how
to use it. My brother also bought a new car and went back to the dealer
to ask the salesman how to use it and he was clueless and had to get
another to help.
  #10   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 16, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,846
Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 12:09:23 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
...
I recall years ago, you could buy a device that plugged into any car
radio that played cassettes. The thing was pushed into the casette
opening, and a wire which is part of it, could be connected to any other
audio source.

But what about car radios that have a CD player. Is there a similar
device that can be pushed into the CD opening to allow another audio
source to be played, such as a MP3 player?


Will the CD player play MP3 CDs? If so, burn the MP3s to data CDs; if not,
replace it with one that will.


Note his last line, with my emphasis added:

"allow *another audio source* to be played, such as a MP3 player?"

I take that to mean that the mp3 player is just an example. "another
audio source" these days often means a smartphone used for Pandora,
podcasts, streaming internet radio, etc.

Those are things that can't be burnt to a CD.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mp3 player will not play songs Yitzak Electronics Repair 4 February 26th 10 06:44 PM
DVD Player does not play all d/l movies Steve[_10_] Electronics Repair 3 July 31st 08 08:04 AM
Koss DVD player won't play CD's Roger Grady Electronics Repair 3 February 11th 05 04:55 AM
Video player won't 'play' ;-( T i m UK diy 10 March 24th 04 11:13 AM
CD player won't play track 1 Smith Electronics Repair 2 January 3rd 04 08:35 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017