Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD Player does not play all d/l movies

Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

I have a Panasonic DVD-S47 DVD home DVD player. I've d/l some movies in DVD
extracted form and they play fine. Others have video sync problems and are
in black and white.

They are not divx format or anything weird, they are actual extracted DVDs
in the 4-6GB range.

Thanks in advance
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Steve wrote:
Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

I have a Panasonic DVD-S47 DVD home DVD player. I've d/l some movies in DVD
extracted form and they play fine. Others have video sync problems and are
in black and white.

They are not divx format or anything weird, they are actual extracted DVDs
in the 4-6GB range.

There are four video encoding types on DVD's. This has nothing to do
with region coding which prevents you from playing DVD's from different
parts of the world.

The most common in the U.S. are 24/1001 (23.9..) frames per second
from 24 frames per second film, and 30/1001 (29.9..) frames per second
from video tape.

Outside the U.S. countries that use 50Hz systems, use 24 fps (film) and
25 fps (video).

You can see more information at:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en...t-vcd-dvd.html

How the DVD player displays the different frame rates varies from DVD player
to player. Most of the cheap ones have a setup option to select TV set type.
You can choose between a PAL TV (all disks are output in PAL),
NTSC TV (US) (all disks are output in NTSC) or Multisystem (PAL disks are
output in PAL, NTSC in NTSC)

It sounds to me that your TV player is set for a multisystem TV and yours
is not. You may be able to change the setting on your DVD player to NTSC
only.

The best way to check is to play the DVD's using mplayer on a PC. When it
starts up it tells you the frame rate in your console window.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote in
:

Steve wrote:
[...]

Good call! Thanks for your help.

I assumed PAL the entire time but a co-worker claims he converted it for
me. Converting all the VOB files was not needed because it displayed the
frame rate for the input file.

Every movie that doesn't play is 25fps while everyone that does is
29.9fps. Afterwards I looked at the DVD Player manual and it stated it
does not play PAL.

Question: if I play a PAL movie, does the quality degrade or does the
DVD Player take care of it.

Thanks again!