T i m

Default Video player won't 'play' ;-(

Hi All,

Our Panasonic NV-HD660 video recorder decided tonight that it prefers
to sleep than do anything much more than play?

It started by the missus having trouble ejecting a vid. I did it ok
(by holding the flap up) but that was just the first sign.

When you tell it to FF / RW etc it starts for maybe a second then just
shuts down?

This smacks of some sort of PSU problem (dry cap?) or maybe a 'common
fault' with this chassis / psu?

As an (ex) electronics / datacomms service engineer (in the days when
you actually fixed things rather than changing a complete panel) and
still have a scope / FC / DMM's etc and don't mind having a go myself
with the right pointers.

So, before I go down to the electronics sheds (via the skip) anyone
know this fault (and how to cure it) please?

All the best ..

T i m
John

"T i m" wrote in message
news
[...]

This sometimes happens with my VCR. What I do is take the tape out, tighten
it up by using my finger in the 'cogs', put the tape back in and everything
is OK (until the kids do it again!). This 'problem' has only been here as
long as my oldest son has been able to take out and replace the tapes. This
may not sort your problem but it works for me, my wife says I have the best
middle finger in Britain!!!

HTH

John

P.S. My VCR is a JVC

Lee

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Our Panasonic NV-HD660 video recorder decided tonight that it prefers
to sleep than do anything much more than play?

It started by the missus having trouble ejecting a vid. I did it ok
(by holding the flap up) but that was just the first sign.

When you tell it to FF / RW etc it starts for maybe a second then just
shuts down?

This smacks of some sort of PSU problem (dry cap?) or maybe a 'common
fault' with this chassis / psu?

Is it displaying any error codes, like F03 ?
If not, then suspect caps. Usually is on Panasonic vcs...

It could be a belt, depending on what deck that is, but the caps don't
usually last long enough for the belts to wear

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com
Lee

It could be a belt, depending on what deck that is, but the caps don't
usually last long enough for the belts to wear

Ah, it's a "K" deck, won't be belts then

Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com
Lee

T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Our Panasonic NV-HD660 video recorder decided tonight that it prefers
to sleep than do anything much more than play?

Panasonic "K" deck, if it's not caps (although it probably is), take a
look here for more tips:
http://www.hamradio-badarc.co.uk/vid...panvcrprt1.htm

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Graeme

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

My HD600 was recently ressurected after I replaced the small worm gear on
the end of the load motor. This had become cracked and I've been told that
this is common. Open your machine and inspect this item.

T i m

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:51:40 +0000, Lee
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Our Panasonic NV-HD660 video recorder decided tonight that it prefers
to sleep than do anything much more than play?

Panasonic "K" deck, if it's not caps (although it probably is), take a
look here for more tips:
http://www.hamradio-badarc.co.uk/vid...panvcrprt1.htm

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your input(s) ;-)

I have just looked at the front of the unit and it displays F06 (I
wasn't actually playing with the thing last night, 'she' was so I
wasn't told about the code ..sigh)

I can see quite a few mentions of F06 but I'm not sure what 'deck' the
HD660 is? (that's a handy site though thanks) ;-)

I've just managed to rewind the tape that wouldn't last night. I then
tried to do a FF and it shut down with error code F03? After a 10 min
rest it's now just FF'd an entire E180 and is now rewinding ... ?

I suppose I'll have to give it a good thrashing and see what rage of
codes I see?

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:03:27 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news
Hi All,

Our Panasonic NV-HD660 video recorder decided tonight that it prefers
to sleep than do anything much more than play?

This sometimes happens with my VCR. What I do is take the tape out, tighten
it up by using my finger in the 'cogs', put the tape back in and everything
is OK (until the kids do it again!).

Ok ..

This 'problem' has only been here as
long as my oldest son has been able to take out and replace the tapes.

Doh! Watch out for the Jam Sandwitch in there next "I wanted to see
what it looked like on the telly" ;-)

This
may not sort your problem but it works for me, my wife says I have the best
middle finger in Britain!!!

Result! (and have you asked her how she knows ...?)

All the best John ..

T i m
T i m

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:15:41 -0000, "Graeme"
wrote:

My HD600 was recently ressurected after I replaced the small worm gear on
the end of the load motor. This had become cracked and I've been told that
this is common. Open your machine and inspect this item.

Hi Graeme,

Now you mention it .. I think I actually did this a few years ago (but
not for same fault) and *may* have another spare taped to the top of
the unit. As you say .. worth a peek though ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Lee

wrote:

My HD600 was recently ressurected after I replaced the small worm gear on
the end of the load motor. This had become cracked and I've been told that
this is common. Open your machine and inspect this item.

Hi Graeme,

Now you mention it .. I think I actually did this a few years ago (but
not for same fault) and *may* have another spare taped to the top of
the unit. As you say .. worth a peek though ;-)

It was late, talking to myself is usual

Your model has a "K" deck.
F03 and F06 both point to either a spilt worm gear or a misalinged deck.
You may also find this link helpful:
http://www.e-repair.co.uk/story4.htm

If the worm gear is ok, suspect the mode switch...

Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Paul C. Dickie

In article , T i m
writes
wrote:
This sometimes happens with my VCR. What I do is take the tape out, tighten
it up by using my finger in the 'cogs', put the tape back in and everything
is OK (until the kids do it again!).

Doh! Watch out for the Jam Sandwitch in there next "I wanted to see
what it looked like on the telly" ;-)

If that's why they shove sandwiches into the VCR, why do they also
insert fish fingers?

--
Paul