Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Gas pump skimmers

A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:37:32 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

that's why I prefer the convenience of cash

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:37:32 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

that's why I prefer the convenience of cash

As most credit card companies refund the money I still like the cards.
If paying in cash you have to go inside and give them some money and
pump the gas. If too much money , then another trip back inside. That
can make for a trip over 100 feet each way or more at some stations.
Hardly convenient for me.

I also get back 3 % on the card I use at the gas station. That is
worth it. As most everything I buy is put on the card it really ammouts
up over a years time. I pay the cards off every month on the computer
by transfreing the money from my bank. Think of it, if you spend $
20,000 a year and only get back 1 % that is still $ 200 per year and
some cards are 3 to 5 % on some items.

I think I will take my chances with the cards.
While not very likely if you carry cash you could loose it or get
robbed. I found that when I exited my truck with certain paints on, my
billfold would come out and lay on the ground. I had it hapen to me
twice before I started checking on it every time I left the truck. Just
lucky that I discovered it both times and no one had picked it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 12:45 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

As most credit card companies refund the money I still like the cards.
If paying in cash you have to go inside and give them some money and
pump the gas. If too much money , then another trip back inside. That
can make for a trip over 100 feet each way or more at some stations.
Hardly convenient for me.

I don't link those "pay in advance" (assumption of guilt) things.

However it it's unavoidable, I don't fill the tank but pay a certain
amount which will be less than that. For example, I may decide that $20
is enough but not too much (requiring another trip to get the change).

[snip]

--
102 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Me too . I like the convenience of a credit card. but I have been
skimmed several times. Never lost any money but I find it impossible to
believe this is not preventable. I am 99.99% sure the employee at the
gas station is in on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:31:11 -0500, philo wrote:

Me too . I like the convenience of a credit card. but I have been
skimmed several times. Never lost any money but I find it impossible to
believe this is not preventable. I am 99.99% sure the employee at the
gas station is in on it.

I prefer plastic cards. Mine have fraud protection. I'm almost
certain not that many clerks are crooked.

Good to see you back, wondered where you went. We recently lost The
Mormon, Chris. He suffered a sudden death.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 11:37 AM, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

The police in a nearby city have begun a program to deal with this.
They're getting the local gas stations on board. It's called SkimStop.
http://www.cityofeagan.com/police/cr...afety/skimstop

SkimStop - a program created by the Eagan Police Department, is a
partnership between local law enforcement and a business to safeguard
your account information when you use your credit card at a gas pump.
A business that participates in SkimStop agrees to check their
equipment daily and place security tape on all the credit card
terminals to prevent skimming devices from being used. Businesses are
held accountable with daily logs that can be checked by law
enforcement. SkimStop greatly decreases the possibility of the use of
skimming devices, but consumers should always monitor their credit and
debit cards for unauthorized activity as even the best efforts are
open to error.

In order to prevent these skimming devices from being temporarily
installed inside pumps, stickers are placed on the outside. If a thief
tries to remove the sticker, text appears on the tape with the words
"open" and "void."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 09:37 AM, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

Hi Ken,

I do PCI (Payment Card Industry), a.k.a. credit card security
consulting. It is worse than you think. This is what they
are suppose to do

1) the pump is "suppose" to have an alarm that goes off
in the office if the pump's door is opened

2) the employees are suppose to visually check the pump
inside and out of the door for tampering at least once
a day.

It is anyone's guess if they do or don't. (Ha ha ha ha, what
a stupid question I just asked.)

Here is an article that shows the skimmers and how they are used:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

Note that some of these devices are internal and some are external.
And, they are used on ATM machines too, not just gas pumps.

Since starting PCI consulting, I use cash everywhere I can.
I only have one customer that actually takes PCI seriously.
The rest's grandchildren will need lawyers when they get
breached and the anal probe finds they pencil whipped
the questionnaires.

And, yes, this is a law enforcement issue. The cops need
to get off the asses and stop with the speed traps and start
going after these ass holes with reckless abandon, then this
will stop. As it stand, even when they are caught, virtually
nothing happens to them. Maybe when some sleazy politician
figures out a way to make more money off these ass holes
then they do off of speeding tickets.

My professional advice. Just use cash.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:17:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:37:32 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

that's why I prefer the convenience of cash

Explain to me how cash is more convenient at a gas station when compared
to pay-at-the-pump. I'm not asking about security, I'm asking about
convenience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 10:55 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
I don't link those "pay in advance" (assumption of guilt) things.

I find it annoying too. Some stations don't though. Look for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.support.depression

Default KENNY THE KoOK talks about "Gas pump skimmers"

On 9/14/2016 9:37 AM, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

Speaking of gas, I should mention that last nite was a doosy!
All nite long I just kept farting and farting and farting.
Musta been the beans.
Go figgure ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 01:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:31:11 -0500, philo wrote:

Me too . I like the convenience of a credit card. but I have been
skimmed several times. Never lost any money but I find it impossible to
believe this is not preventable. I am 99.99% sure the employee at the
gas station is in on it.

I prefer plastic cards. Mine have fraud protection. I'm almost
certain not that many clerks are crooked.

Good to see you back, wondered where you went. We recently lost The
Mormon, Chris. He suffered a sudden death.

Even though I did not care much for him I certainly did not wish him ill.

Have not been on Usenet since my wife talked me into getting a smartphone.

Yesterday I took more advice from my wife and hired someone to clean my
rain gutters and patch a squirrel hole. She did not want me to go up on
a tall ladder since my knees were replaced and doggone it she was right.

Decided to check back in here again since my mind was in the home repair
mode
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 11:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Explain to me how cash is more convenient at a gas station when compared
to pay-at-the-pump. I'm not asking about security, I'm asking about
convenience.

I usually find it annoying, but not so much anymore. And
I really need the exercise, so I speed walk. Every little
bit helps.

And not all stations do this. There is one in our town that
doesn't. He overflows with customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-09-14, cowabunga dude wrote:

Cash might be illegal before to long, the way government is cracking
down on people carrying cash.

Police used to arrest you for not carrying money, they claimed you
were vagrant. Now they claim your using it for illegal activities.

Sad, but true.

Even more sadly, one hasta guess those laws are being partially driven
by banks and credit institutions. Banks no longer like cash money and
are doing everything they can to discourage its use.

Cash is too hard to handle. Armored cars, vaults, labor. Even credit
cards --even the one's with the "chip"-- are already obsolete. Let's
not even get into personal checks and paper statements! They want
everyone online and paying by cell phone. No checks, no plastic, no
labor, jest profit. 8|

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 1:34 PM, KenK wrote:

You may just be right. Those credit card slots on the pumps are just so
handy I hadn't thought about it. I'd prefer to use a check though - I
carry very little cash. I'll have to see if my usual gas station has no
objections. Probably not.

Many stores won't accept checks, nor would I. Too much fraud and
bounced checks to chase.

I use cash for most anything under $100 as it leaves less information to
be stolen from the store where I used plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 1:55 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I don't link those "pay in advance" (assumption of guilt) things.

However it it's unavoidable, I don't fill the tank but pay a certain
amount which will be less than that. For example, I may decide that $20
is enough but not too much (requiring another trip to get the change).

[snip]

I use a full service station that is cheaper than most self serve. I
get good service because I always tip too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
On 09/14/2016 01:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:31:11 -0500, philo wrote:

Me too . I like the convenience of a credit card. but I have been
skimmed several times. Never lost any money but I find it impossible to
believe this is not preventable. I am 99.99% sure the employee at the
gas station is in on it.

I prefer plastic cards. Mine have fraud protection. I'm almost
certain not that many clerks are crooked.

Good to see you back, wondered where you went. We recently lost The
Mormon, Chris. He suffered a sudden death.

Even though I did not care much for him I certainly did not wish him ill.

Have not been on Usenet since my wife talked me into getting a smartphone.

Last time you posted you were going to give free beer at a book signing.
How'd that go?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 2:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:17:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:37:32 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

that's why I prefer the convenience of cash

Explain to me how cash is more convenient at a gas station when compared
to pay-at-the-pump. I'm not asking about security, I'm asking about
convenience.

I can't answer for Ken, but I find it more slightly more convenient,
though not life changing. You hand over the money and done. No
signing, pin to enter, deductions if you use a debit card, checking
transactions on a statement. Probably saves an hour a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 2:56 PM, T wrote:

I do PCI (Payment Card Industry), a.k.a. credit card security
consulting. It is worse than you think.

My professional advice. Just use cash.

-T

Sometimes it is wise to follow the advice of a professional.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Hand over the money to who? If you mean the clerk behind the counter,
how is walking from the vehicle into the store, possibly waiting on line
to pay and then walking back to the vehicle more convenient than
inserting a card at the pump and entering a pin?

What deductions for a debit card? I have never been charged a deduction
when paying at the pump with a debit card. Are there places that charge
less when you pay cash? Yes. Have I paid cash for that reason on occasion?
Yes again. Was it *less* convenient? Yes once again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 03:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I use a full service station that is cheaper than most self serve. I get good service because I always tip too.

I thought Goober wooda solt the fillin station an retired by now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 4:20 PM, otis wrote:
On 09/14/2016 03:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I use a full service station that is cheaper than most self serve. I
get good service because I always tip too.

I thought Goober wooda solt the fillin station an retired by now.

I work in Massachusetts and each town fire marshal decides if the
residents are smart enough to pump their own gas. Many still have an
attendant and the prices are no higher than DIY stations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 01:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/14/2016 4:20 PM, otis wrote:
On 09/14/2016 03:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I use a full service station that is cheaper than most self serve. I
get good service because I always tip too.

I thought Goober wooda solt the fillin station an retired by now.

I work in Massachusetts and each town fire marshal decides if the
residents are smart enough to pump their own gas. Many still have an
attendant and the prices are no higher than DIY stations.

I have not seen a full service gas station out in Nevada in
memory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:44:16 -0700, T wrote:

I have not seen a full service gas station out in Nevada in
memory.

You can drive 200 miles and not see any stations out here

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 02:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:44:16 -0700, T wrote:

I have not seen a full service gas station out in Nevada in
memory.

You can drive 200 miles and not see any stations out here

That would be three hours in Nevada speak. Oren is
translating for you non-Nevadans.

Among ourselves, we normally describe distance in terms
of "time". A Nevada rancher can drive 25 minutes and not
leave his own property.

An accountant I work for had to pull out a map and show
a "temporary from the east coast" IRS auditor one of his
customer's ranches to prove to her that he was actually
taking mileage driving on his own property. Blew her away!

An YES, you do have to make sure you gas up before driving
anywhere more than an hour away (~60 miles).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 02:13 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 9/14/2016 2:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:44:16 -0700, T wrote:

I have not seen a full service gas station out in Nevada in
memory.

You can drive 200 miles and not see any stations out here

see - he was right!

In your heart, you know I am right (wing).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 5:07:09 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:44:16 -0700, T wrote:

I have not seen a full service gas station out in Nevada in
memory.

You can drive 200 miles and not see any stations out here

SWMBO and I are going to Nevada in a few weeks to visit our sons. One in
Las Vegas, the other in Reno. We'll be driving from Vegas to Reno. I already
drove from Reno to Vegas yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHYD5YNybI

Mid-way is Tonopah. Do an image search for The Clown Motel. We won't be
staying there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:42:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 5:07:09 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:44:16 -0700, T wrote:

I have not seen a full service gas station out in Nevada in
memory.

You can drive 200 miles and not see any stations out here

SWMBO and I are going to Nevada in a few weeks to visit our sons. One in
Las Vegas, the other in Reno. We'll be driving from Vegas to Reno. I already
drove from Reno to Vegas yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHYD5YNybI

Mid-way is Tonopah. Do an image search for The Clown Motel. We won't be
staying there.

Good luck on the trip. Pack a cooler for lunch with plenty of
beverages. Your cell phone will not get a signal; nor will you see a
state trooper for help. Should be cool temps in a few weeks.

Watch out for wild mustangs and burros standing in the middle of the
road. Wild animals out here have the right of way. A gun is suggested
in case you break down.

Consider a short flight instead of an 8+ hour drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Two 4 hour drives. I do those in my sleep. We have a reservation at the Mizpah Hotel in
Tonopah. All the reviews I read have been glowing. Please don't spoil the illusion. We've
got over a month to fret about it.

SWMBO hates to fly. In fact, medication is required for each leg of a flight. Besides, we need
a car in Vegas, we need a car in Reno and we're driving to San Francisco after Reno. Driving
gives us more freedom - more real vacation.

Based on my youtube drive from Reno to Vegas, it sure doesn't seem as bad as you make it
sound. It sure seemed like there was a lot of traffic, although condensing an 8 hour drive into
45 minutes skews the visual to some extent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We are "Fence Out", instead of "Fence In". This means if you
strike someone's livestock, you are libel, no the rancher.
Weird, but that is the way it is.

And be careful of the speed traps. You won't see him, till
he takes your lunch money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've learned to slow down over the years. 9 over the limit doesn't even bother Officer
Friendly in the states where I drive. That's where my cruise gets set. What's the
acceptable overage in NV?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Explain to me how cash is more convenient at a gas station when compared
to pay-at-the-pump. I'm not asking about security, I'm asking about
convenience.

Because you have to go into a "convenience" store and wait in line for
people buying lotto tickets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 3:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/14/2016 2:56 PM, T wrote:

I do PCI (Payment Card Industry), a.k.a. credit card security
consulting. It is worse than you think.

My professional advice. Just use cash.

-T

Sometimes it is wise to follow the advice of a professional.

It is scary to read his post. I've never had any problem but am
careful. I never give my card to anyone to carry away like in a
restaurant, use only one card and it has the chip.

At the gas station it takes longer to pay inside and wait for all the
lottery and sandwich customers so I pay at the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi Derby,

It depends on their mood. "Supposedly" under 10 they will leave you
alone. But, it all depends on their mood. I heard of a guy that
got nailed for 7 over in the middle of the night with no one around.
The judge threw it out.

Remember that despite all their protests, they are evaluated
on how much revenue they are bringing in. If they are not
out robbing the public, they are considered to not being doing
their jobs. If he has had his ****e jumped into for goofing off,
your lunch money is not safe.

So, set it at 4 over, which can be chalked up to tire pressure and
calibration errors.

And pull over when other cars get behind you. IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Now for Nevada. There are two types of people out he 1) good
old boys and 2) ass holes. There is no pretension covering up who
you are. They are very easy to tell apart. Most are #1's.
This is a nice to live, despite all the political corruption
and the highway robbers (means they have nothing else to do,
which is a good thing).

Enjoy your trip!

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 7:55 PM, Frank wrote:

At the gas station it takes longer to pay inside and wait for all the
lottery and sandwich customers so I pay at the pump.

I never understood pay at the pump. Sure, it is easy and fast. There
is a station I use when I use the company CC and in over a decasde I;ve
never been inside. If i was forced to go in and pay, perhaps I'd buy a
soda or coffee adding to their income. they let me come and go. OK by
me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2016 06:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/14/2016 7:55 PM, Frank wrote:

At the gas station it takes longer to pay inside and wait for all the
lottery and sandwich customers so I pay at the pump.

I never understood pay at the pump. Sure, it is easy and fast. There
is a station I use when I use the company CC and in over a decasde I;ve
never been inside. If i was forced to go in and pay, perhaps I'd buy a
soda or coffee adding to their income. they let me come and go. OK by me.

The extra walk is good for me. My job is mostly sitting
on my ass. Plus, I get to know some of the folks at the
station and become friends.

I don't think using a credit card is worth all the
ramifications of an identity theft (usually, they
just steel money).