Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT Gas pump skimmers

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/14/2016 2:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:17:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:37:32 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

that's why I prefer the convenience of cash

Explain to me how cash is more convenient at a gas station when compared
to pay-at-the-pump. I'm not asking about security, I'm asking about
convenience.

I can't answer for Ken, but I find it more slightly more convenient,
though not life changing. You hand over the money and done. No
signing, pin to enter, deductions if you use a debit card, checking
transactions on a statement. Probably saves an hour a year.

Hand over the money to who? If you mean the clerk behind the counter,
how is walking from the vehicle into the store, possibly waiting on line
to pay and then walking back to the vehicle more convenient than
inserting a card at the pump and entering a pin?

What deductions for a debit card? I have never been charged a deduction
when paying at the pump with a debit card. Are there places that charge
less when you pay cash? Yes. Have I paid cash for that reason on occasion?
Yes again. Was it *less* convenient? Yes once again.