Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default OT Gas pump skimmers

On 09/14/2016 09:37 AM, KenK wrote:
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers
(devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info
and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the
pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.

I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if
they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy
there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?

Hi Ken,

I do PCI (Payment Card Industry), a.k.a. credit card security
consulting. It is worse than you think. This is what they
are suppose to do

1) the pump is "suppose" to have an alarm that goes off
in the office if the pump's door is opened

2) the employees are suppose to visually check the pump
inside and out of the door for tampering at least once
a day.

It is anyone's guess if they do or don't. (Ha ha ha ha, what
a stupid question I just asked.)

Here is an article that shows the skimmers and how they are used:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

Note that some of these devices are internal and some are external.
And, they are used on ATM machines too, not just gas pumps.

Since starting PCI consulting, I use cash everywhere I can.
I only have one customer that actually takes PCI seriously.
The rest's grandchildren will need lawyers when they get
breached and the anal probe finds they pencil whipped
the questionnaires.

And, yes, this is a law enforcement issue. The cops need
to get off the asses and stop with the speed traps and start
going after these ass holes with reckless abandon, then this
will stop. As it stand, even when they are caught, virtually
nothing happens to them. Maybe when some sleazy politician
figures out a way to make more money off these ass holes
then they do off of speeding tickets.

My professional advice. Just use cash.

-T