Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Internal Revenue Scam OT)

My wife and I have received two recorded message type phone calls in the past two days from someone claiming to be from IRS and that I was being investigated unless I called them. The phone number to call was given as 1-352-281-6660 in both cases.

That same number showed up on caller ID as the number of the calling party. If it is so easy to get these phone numbers, why doesn't some federal agency track these shysters down and prosecute them?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:38:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My wife and I have received two recorded message type phone calls in the past two days from someone claiming to be from IRS and that I was being investigated unless I called them. The phone number to call was given as 1-352-281-6660 in both cases.

That same number showed up on caller ID as the number of the calling party. If it is so easy to get these phone numbers, why doesn't some federal agency track these shysters down and prosecute them?????

Beatrice Bell SE 10 Ave Gainesville Florida 352-281-6660
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2016 9:31 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:38:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My wife and I have received two recorded message type phone calls in the past two days from someone claiming to be from IRS and that I was being investigated unless I called them. The phone number to call was given as 1-352-281-6660 in both cases.

That same number showed up on caller ID as the number of the calling party. If it is so easy to get these phone numbers, why doesn't some federal agency track these shysters down and prosecute them?????

XXXXXXXX XXXXX SE 10 Ave Gainesville Florida 352-281-6660

Maybe or maybe not. Let's also consider that these goofs can spoof
caller ID numbers and thus confuse idiots who go on the internet, Google
search a number and then post it to these lists which can cause harm to
innocent people.

I ran the number through a teleco database that is updated intraday and
came up with totally different subscriber information

Just saying!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 6:46 AM, Frank wrote:
On 9/13/2016 9:38 PM, wrote:
My wife and I have received two recorded message type phone calls in
the past two days from someone claiming to be from IRS and that I
was being investigated unless I called them. The phone number to
call was given as 1-352-281-6660 in both cases.

That same number showed up on caller ID as the number of the calling
party. If it is so easy to get these phone numbers, why doesn't
some federal agency track these shysters down and prosecute them?????

Without caller ID to identify the caller as someone you know or deal
with, nobody can answer the phone anymore. Our feckless government is
fully aware of this and does squat.

Our laws apply within our borders, but the phone scammers are
overseas. Even so, the feds have managed to shut a few of these down.
Problem is, it's an endless game of whack-a-mole. Scammer A hires a
bunch of people to work the phones, and while doing so, they learn how
the scam works. Even if their employer gets shut down, some of them
just get into the business themselves and the scam continues - except
where it began with one boiler room operation, now there's multiple
ones. The "Rachel from Card Services" scam is a known example of that,
and the IRS scam is probably doing the same. Once a con artist comes
up with a new idea, a bunch more jump on the bandwagon.

This has been a problem for decades, so everyone should know by now
that you don't _have_ to answer a call, especially when we have the
ability to screen calls and take messages. That's the power each of us
has for handling these. If you haven't figured that out by now, the
problem isn't just getting unwanted calls, it's your inability to
figure out how to ignore them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2016 9:38 PM, wrote:
[...]

I know most are overseas. If I get a live one, I've been telling them
lately that I'm sorry but I don't speak to colored people. Sorta hope I
make them mad enough to quit or demand more money.

I'm no computer expert but think there are things we could do.
Telephone companies could note millions of calls and cut them off.
The "microsoft" scammers could take over a computer that infects them
with a fatal virus instead of the other way around.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

On 14/09/16 20:49, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

I have been ****ing the IRS for years now. These days April 15th is
more like April fools day on the IRS.

There are people trained to steal money by cheating using jokes. DO NOT
underestimate the power of a joke or any form of mind trick.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Moe DeLoughan:
If you haven't figured that out by now, the
problem isn't just getting unwanted calls, it's your inability to
figure out how to ignore them.

It isn't the content of the calls for me... *any* caller has about .7
seconds to show some response and then I hang up... "Hello, this is Pete
Cresswell.... HelloHello.... CLICK!".

But the sheer number of rings is a problem - even letting them to go
answering machine is a problem when you start getting a half-dozen to a
dozen a day.

I've had plain old basic phone service since Day-1 and, cheap as I am, I
am about *that* far away from either putting out the big bucks for
CallerID/Simultaneous ring or putting my incoming calls on the VOIP
service I use for outgoing.

The first option would give me access to apps that crowd-source junk
call identification.

The second one would let me implement Challenge/Response: "Hello, this
is the Cresswell's answering machine. "Press 1 for Joe, Press 2 for
Sue..." and so-forth - along with a GoldList of known callers that do
not get the prompt. The downsides of the second are uncertainty
about how 911 calls would work and family members who do not like
change.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
I'm no computer expert but think there are things we could do.
Telephone companies could note millions of calls and cut them off.

My gut reaction is that, somehow, the phone companies benefit from those
calls. For sure, the cell phone carriers do because they are burning
minutes for those on minute-limited plans. For land line carriers, I
would think that those calls serve a marketing purpose: selling people
like me on paying extra for CallerID/Simultaneous ring.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Mr. Man-wai Chang:
I dunno about USA, but in Hong Kong, the caller ID can be forged. Don't
trust it.

True in the USA too. On my VOIP service, I have the CallerID spoofed on
my cell phone to the cell phone's number when I am using Bria to call
via VOIP instead of tMobile.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

But the sheer number of rings is a problem - even letting them to go
answering machine is a problem when you start getting a half-dozen to a
dozen a day.

this is a job the NSA should handle

at least we would get some benefit for all the money they get

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:48:16 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

We should let Whitey Bulger out on the condition he solve the problem

Can't do that. Feds took his money and guns away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You don't have much credibility when you can't even spell my name correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

n Wed, 14 Sep 2016 12:44:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

You don't have much credibility when you can't even spell my name correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't tell whom you mean if you can't quote some context in the
thread. I asked about that before.

I was responding to nutcase Burke

Posted to alt.home.repair

You don't have much credibility when you can't even
spell my name correctly !

Can't tell whom you mean if you can't quote some context in the thread.

I was responding to nutcase Burke

.... thus diminishing your own credibility ..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 10:27 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I'm no computer expert but think there are things we could do.
Telephone companies could note millions of calls and cut them off.

My gut reaction is that, somehow, the phone companies benefit from those
calls. For sure, the cell phone carriers do because they are burning
minutes for those on minute-limited plans. For land line carriers, I
would think that those calls serve a marketing purpose: selling people
like me on paying extra for CallerID/Simultaneous ring.

That's the way I feel about it.
Last I heard the Feds were telling the telephone companies to help
otherwise they would step in. Does not make any sense since Feds should
have been working with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 20:17:10 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 9/14/2016 10:27 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I'm no computer expert but think there are things we could do.
Telephone companies could note millions of calls and cut them off.

My gut reaction is that, somehow, the phone companies benefit from those
calls. For sure, the cell phone carriers do because they are burning
minutes for those on minute-limited plans. For land line carriers, I
would think that those calls serve a marketing purpose: selling people
like me on paying extra for CallerID/Simultaneous ring.

That's the way I feel about it.
Last I heard the Feds were telling the telephone companies to help
otherwise they would step in. Does not make any sense since Feds should
have been working with them.

Consider the numb-nuts in charge and that should explain why the Feds are a no-show.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 7:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Moe DeLoughan:
[...]

What I want is a device that will make callers press a # before the
phone will pass a ring on to my phones. OR the phone company could do
the same before they ring my house. Such devices have been available in
the past, but I haven't found any made now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/16 10:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
am about *that* far away from either putting out the big bucks for
CallerID/Simultaneous ring or putting my incoming calls on the VOIP
service I use for outgoing.

Put your incoming calls on VOIP (phone over the internet).

Then, sign up for "nomorobo.com".
(assuming your ISP/VOIP service will handle it)

I had my doubts about it.
But for non-commerical use (homeowner), it works, and quite
well.

Phone rings once, then callerID displays call number.
Nothing more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:35:47 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Not so small. I got one today, and 5 in one day last week.

I got 2 IRS scam calls yesterday within one hour.
Maybe 6-7 in the past 3 weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2016 10:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Moe DeLoughan:
[...]

I, too, have an old land line used for business with fax machine.
Connection is FIOS as they are getting rid of copper here but not billed
or serviced as VoIP. I could not get an old answering machine to work
with it and the fax so will pick it up if I am nearby.
99% of all calls are telemarketers or scammers. Even most of the faxes
are spam.

I think, particularly when I got it many years ago, that it is under my
name as Sr. which I got as a business phone at homeowner price as
additional phone. Seniors are targeted by spammers as many are more
susceptible to fraud.

It's totally disgusting what has happened to our phones. One guy even
said he would vote for president anyone that said they would clean up
this mess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14/09/16 22:32, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

True in the USA too. On my VOIP service, I have the CallerID spoofed on
my cell phone to the cell phone's number when I am using Bria to call
via VOIP instead of tMobile.

The caller ID is not far from the fax number on incoming fax... I suspect...

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

On 9/14/2016 6:18 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 14/09/16 20:49, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

I have been ****ing the IRS for years now. These days April 15th is
more like April fools day on the IRS.

There are people trained to steal money by cheating using jokes. DO NOT
underestimate the power of a joke or any form of mind trick.

Never tell me wot to do, chink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Bob F:
What I want is a device that will make callers press a # before the
phone will pass a ring on to my phones. OR the phone company could do
the same before they ring my house. Such devices have been available in
the past, but I haven't found any made now.

That functionality is available if you use a VOIP provider like
CallCentric.com.

But I like the simplicity of the device a lot better.... seems like
there should be some out there considering the need.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per John Albert:

Put your incoming calls on VOIP (phone over the internet).

Then, sign up for "nomorobo.com".
(assuming your ISP/VOIP service will handle it)

That's what I was thinking about if/when I go over to
CallerID/Simultaneous ring.

Had not considered that Simultaneous Ring might be available via my VOIP
provider.... Gotta look into that.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
It's totally disgusting what has happened to our phones. One guy even
said he would vote for president anyone that said they would clean up
this mess.

I'm probably closer to that guy that I would care to admit.

And the cynic in me says that if those robocallers that the Pennsylvania
State DA claims cannot be prosecuted were to threaten political figures
above a certain level, said robocallers would be behind bars within 24
hours.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

Per Frank:
It's totally disgusting what has happened to our phones. One guy even
said he would vote for president anyone that said they would clean up
this mess.

I'm probably closer to that guy that I would care to admit.

And the cynic in me says that if those robocallers that the Pennsylvania
State DA claims cannot be prosecuted were to threaten political figures
above a certain level, said robocallers would be behind bars within 24
hours.

Heh heh yea they make themselves immune from the common deplorable...

--
Tekkie