Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do you use for all-purpose rubber gasket material?

A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort.

It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit
than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the
nearest hardware store.

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're
hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a
while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:23:37 -0500, "Danny D."
wrote:

A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort.

It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit
than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the
nearest hardware store.

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're
hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a
while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

Ace sells the rubber material but I have used a 12 pack box in a
crunch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 6:25:47 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort.

It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit
than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the
nearest hardware store.

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're
hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a
while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

You can actually purchase "proper" gasket material and you can get an inexpensive set of gasket punches which will help you make a much more accurate gasket. I had some cheap punches for the holes and very sharp wood chisels I used for straight lines. It really depends on how neat you want to be. It's been several years since I bought an inner tube but I got it at NAPA auto parts. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Gasket Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/16 6:23 PM, Danny D. wrote:
A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort.

It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit
than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the
nearest hardware store.

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're
hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a
while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

Amazon has rubber gasket material. They also have tractor inner
tubes.
What about bicycle inner tubes? Walmart. My dad used to use FormAGasket
but I don't remember off hand exactly why. And motorcycles still have tubed
tires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

|A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort.
|
| It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit
| than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the
| nearest hardware store.

Home Depot sells sheet rubber. Probably most
hardware stores do, too. I'm not sure what's
available, but I remember buying something like
a 6"x8" piece awhile back. I also keep a collection
of plumbing washers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

Get you a 'sheet of rubber'. Punch needed hole with an end of a pipe.

I once used leather to stop a leak as a piece of rubber. Turned the
faucet stem off until I used a rubber gadget.

I didn't drip all night... or for two days.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/06/2016 6:23 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're
hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a
while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

That, exactly. Go to a tire shop that deals with large trucks or ag
tires instead of passenger cars and they'll probably have a number of
old ones in the discard pile they'll give you (altho even trucks have
gone to where a lot are now tubeless but I'd expect they'll still be
enough to not be too much of a problem altho I've not had to go get a
newer one for probably 10 yr since an 18.4-38 tractor tire tube will
yield a _lot_ of small patches!!! ).

Oh, and you might try the Bandaq retreader rather than the new-only
shops, too...

--

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort.

It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit
than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the
nearest hardware store.

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're
hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a
while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

Innertubes are still used a lot more than you think. Farmers use them in
all sorts of machinery. Go to a REAL tire shop, not Walmart....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:23:37 -0500, Danny D. wrote:

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

Thanks for all the flexible advice, which I followed to the letter.

To that end, I picked up a two-gasket set of 1/16th inch 6x6 "rubber sheet
packing" material at Home Depot for around $2.50 a sheet.

http://i.cubeupload.com/8WtAr4.jpg

Home Depot didn't have anything larger than 6 inches square, so, for the
larger sheets, I found a "memo magnet" which was just about the same
thickness but which is 8"x11".

In hind sight, since it cost about ten bucks for those three sheets of
rubber, a car tire tube would probably have been cheaper and longer
lasting, so I'll look around to see if I can find one in stock at the
store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 11:58:25 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:23:37 -0500, Danny D. wrote:

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

Thanks for all the flexible advice, which I followed to the letter.

To that end, I picked up a two-gasket set of 1/16th inch 6x6 "rubber sheet
packing" material at Home Depot for around $2.50 a sheet.

http://i.cubeupload.com/8WtAr4.jpg

Home Depot didn't have anything larger than 6 inches square, so, for the
larger sheets, I found a "memo magnet" which was just about the same
thickness but which is 8"x11".

In hind sight, since it cost about ten bucks for those three sheets of
rubber, a car tire tube would probably have been cheaper and longer
lasting, so I'll look around to see if I can find one in stock at the
store.

Do you have a NAPA store in your area? Those folks usually have gasket material in stock. They have all kids of material for gaskets. ^_^

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FPB3030/FPB3030

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search/?text=rubber gasket material&isProduct=true&isInterchange=true&referer =allprod

[8~{} Uncle Gasket Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/13/2016 11:58 AM, Danny D. wrote:

In hind sight, since it cost about ten bucks for those three sheets of
rubber, a car tire tube would probably have been cheaper and longer
lasting, so I'll look around to see if I can find one in stock at the
store.

If you look new, you'll probably be shocked... As said, go to the
truck/ag shops; I'd say odds good you'd be able to get a freebie or at
least for a pittance.

For the future, look for industrial gasket-supply houses locally; not
all will sell "over the counter" but bound to be one or two that will;
the place here (this is _very_ small market, yes, there is only one)
will beat those box store specialty-type selections hands down and give
you a much wider selection of materials, to boot...

--

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

Now don't blow your gasket.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 4:31:28 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Hum, Gay gaskets, that's a real mind blower. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Leaky Monster

Gasket Material Vic Smith Home Repair 1 June 28th 12 12:07 AM
Kitchen sink outlet rubber gasket Neil Fisher UK diy 0 June 28th 11 06:24 AM
Help with a supplier of uPVC window rubber seals/gasket dg UK diy 6 February 4th 10 09:33 PM
gasket material? Jules[_2_] UK diy 40 June 5th 09 12:01 PM
Gasket material stryped[_2_] Metalworking 9 November 7th 08 07:16 PM