Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default What do you use for all-purpose rubber gasket material?

On 08/06/2016 6:23 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're
hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a
while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

That, exactly. Go to a tire shop that deals with large trucks or ag
tires instead of passenger cars and they'll probably have a number of
old ones in the discard pile they'll give you (altho even trucks have
gone to where a lot are now tubeless but I'd expect they'll still be
enough to not be too much of a problem altho I've not had to go get a
newer one for probably 10 yr since an 18.4-38 tractor tire tube will
yield a _lot_ of small patches!!! ).

Oh, and you might try the Bandaq retreader rather than the new-only
shops, too...

--

---