Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gasket material

I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
stryped wrote:

I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional?

If the original gaskets were cork, that should work fine.

Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

Gasoline will make the RTV/Silicone curdle, leaving you a mess to clean
up.

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

I would have to use exactly the same thickness. Thickness does matter
sometimes in carburators.
Silicone won't work.
You can use brown paper, like a paper bag or a file folder. Tons of
paper out there in many different thicknesses. Use a micrometer and
get a close as possible.

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 05:10:59 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.- Hide quoted text -

Can you tell me how thick these gaskets are? I done have enough of one
left to measure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

Cork and old-school Permatex. No RTV, no silicone.

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.

Proper gasket felt of the original thickness can be purchaced at any
GOOD auto parts store.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

sniped

Can I just make some out of this material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

Sorry, this comment led me to believe you had at least a piece of the
original gasket left.

Go to this link and ask these fellas. They are the Antique Small
Engine Collectors Club. If they can't tell you exactly what you need,
no one can.

http://www.asecc.com/

This link is to pictures of carburators and carburators and more
carburators..

http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/carbtyp.html

This is a neat web site.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cork and old-school Permatex. No RTV, no silicone.

Even Permatex is now fuel-solvent, thanks to Ethanol. The only gasket
sealant I know of that is proof to modern gas and E-18 is Hylomar,
http://www.hylomar-usa.com/
It's hard to find. We sell it at davebean.com , and i heard it might be
available at Harbor Freight.

1/16 paper gaskets should do the job, and cutting them with a hammer is
kinda fun, until you get a job in a shipyard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:
Cork and old-school Permatex. No RTV, no silicone.

Even Permatex is now fuel-solvent, thanks to Ethanol. The only gasket
sealant I know of that is proof to modern gas and E-18 is Hylomar,
http://www.hylomar-usa.com/
It's hard to find. We sell it at davebean.com , and i heard it might be
available at Harbor Freight.

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to get a
tube. The A&P used it to reseal a gasket on my
airplane. Easy to work with and scrapes off nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 6:10*am, stryped wrote:
I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.

RTV IS silicone and will turn to jelly when exposed to gas. Not good
when it gets into the carb or engine. RTV=Room Temperature
Vulcanizing. I've not had good luck with cork gaskets and thin
sections, you can get better fiber gasket materials from the hardware
store. Maybe not as thick, but less likely to crumble away into
nothing. There are a few gas-resistant sealants, Hylomar is one and
I've gotten that from Autozone(!). I picked up some other stuff from
Ace, I just don't remember what it's called, Seals-all or something
like that, it was good, gasoline-proof, also less than Hylomar. You
CAN get gas-resistant silicone, last I remember that was like $150 for
a 100 gram tube. The old standby was Permatex, but most grades are
soluble in alcohol and that's not good with gasahol the order of the
day now.

Stan