Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Gasket material

On Nov 6, 6:10*am, stryped wrote:
I have some 1/16 cork gasket sheets at home. I am needing the carb to
gas tank and carb to engine gaskets. Can I just make some out of this
material or will it not work because it is a little thicker than the
origional? Or should I use RTV instead of silicone?

I appreciate any help. I have 2 tillers I am tryign to get running so
I can put them up for spring.

RTV IS silicone and will turn to jelly when exposed to gas. Not good
when it gets into the carb or engine. RTV=Room Temperature
Vulcanizing. I've not had good luck with cork gaskets and thin
sections, you can get better fiber gasket materials from the hardware
store. Maybe not as thick, but less likely to crumble away into
nothing. There are a few gas-resistant sealants, Hylomar is one and
I've gotten that from Autozone(!). I picked up some other stuff from
Ace, I just don't remember what it's called, Seals-all or something
like that, it was good, gasoline-proof, also less than Hylomar. You
CAN get gas-resistant silicone, last I remember that was like $150 for
a 100 gram tube. The old standby was Permatex, but most grades are
soluble in alcohol and that's not good with gasahol the order of the
day now.

Stan