Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Deliveries gone wild.

OT, I signed up for Amazon Prime, iirc, because I couldn't get close
tor $49 and they were going to charge me about $7 just for postage on
a $20 order. And I think I've ordered 6 times this month, and the
last one was 1AM this morning, Saturday.

I bought 6 things and they have scheduled 4 deliveries, FOUR, to
deliver them all. I'm not in a hurry for any of them, but get this,
the two they are delivering tomorrow, Sunday, are the two "add-ons",
that I need the least, that cost $9 total (2 packages** of self-stick
laminating clear vinyl envelopes and 100 blank paper CD sleeves. **For
some reason the summary of the order and the email about delivery
doesn't even know what these things are and they call them "2 items".
)

Then the biggest thing and one little thing are coming on Tuesday, a
ream of paper is coming on Thursday. AFAIC, they could have waited
from Saturday to Thursday to deliver all 5 things, but once you're
prime, they don't ask, usually.

And a $3.50 USB hub is coming late June, early July, a separate
delivery for a 3.50 item, all deliveries free.

Earlier this month they asked me if they could merge two deliveries
and I said Yes (I'm almost never in a hurry) but not so far this time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2016 11:06 PM, Micky wrote:

[...]

The items are coming from four locations and sounds like one is direct
from China. You do have the option of choosing free shipping at a
slower pace. Sometimes they offer a credit for something too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've avoided drinking the kool aid on Amazon Prime membership.
Something about paying $99 for the "privilege" of receiving an order for
a reasonable shipping cost in timely fashion irks me.

If whatever I'm buying is less than $49 and the shipping cost is plain
silly I will look to purchase the product elsewhere, and there alot of
elsewhere's available online and locally.

Even if your item is above the threshold, if you opt for free shipping
they seem to delay processing and getting the item out the door just to
remind you that you are not a Prime subscriber.

What also drives me nuts (for many vendors, not just Amazon) is when
you anticipate something will be delivered FedEx or UPS and then they
hand off the item to US mail, usually with a 200 mile detour to some
processing facility in Allentown, PA to make it happen, delaying
delivery even further.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2016 9:16 AM, Steve Stone wrote:
I've avoided drinking the kool aid on Amazon Prime membership.
Something about paying $99 for the "privilege" of receiving an order for
a reasonable shipping cost in timely fashion irks me.

If whatever I'm buying is less than $49 and the shipping cost is plain
silly I will look to purchase the product elsewhere, and there alot of
elsewhere's available online and locally.

Even if your item is above the threshold, if you opt for free shipping
they seem to delay processing and getting the item out the door just to
remind you that you are not a Prime subscriber.

What also drives me nuts (for many vendors, not just Amazon) is when
you anticipate something will be delivered FedEx or UPS and then they
hand off the item to US mail, usually with a 200 mile detour to some
processing facility in Allentown, PA to make it happen, delaying
delivery even further.

Prime works for me, but not for everyone. I get to watch some shows and
listen to music as an added benefit. Amazon is a good place to shop and
is competitive on price but you can at times find better deals.

As for the Smart Post, for us it may add a day in transit. If you
belong to the UPS My Choice you can pay extra to have UPS deliver it
earlier. Its all about money. The USPS has to pass my house anyway so
it is cheaper to have them do the final delivery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 9:16:22 AM UTC-4, Steve Stone wrote:
I've avoided drinking the kool aid on Amazon Prime membership.
Something about paying $99 for the "privilege" of receiving an order for
a reasonable shipping cost in timely fashion irks me.

If whatever I'm buying is less than $49 and the shipping cost is plain
silly I will look to purchase the product elsewhere, and there alot of
elsewhere's available online and locally.

Even if your item is above the threshold, if you opt for free shipping
they seem to delay processing and getting the item out the door just to
remind you that you are not a Prime subscriber.

But it's still faster than going to China to pick it. ;-)

But seriously, folks, compared to the old days (I mean old as in pre-www)
a few extras days of shipping after ordering on-line is nothing compared
to what we used to go through.

Anybody remember paper catalogs, hand written order forms, checks and
waiting for companies waiting for checks to clear before they would ship?

What also drives me nuts (for many vendors, not just Amazon) is when
you anticipate something will be delivered FedEx or UPS and then they
hand off the item to US mail, usually with a 200 mile detour to some
processing facility in Allentown, PA to make it happen, delaying
delivery even further.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/29/2016 8:16 AM, Steve Stone wrote:

What also drives me nuts (for many vendors, not just Amazon) is when you
anticipate something will be delivered FedEx or UPS and then they hand
off the item to US mail, usually with a 200 mile detour to some
processing facility in Allentown, PA to make it happen, delaying
delivery even further.

Personally, that's the best thing that can possibly happen--no leaving
items somewhere on the farmstead where I've got to try to find them or
somebody else can pick them up. Instead, they're at the PO where have
to go get the mail, anyways...

Just sayin', ain't all bad for all folks...what really peeves me is
vendors who ignore/can't deal with the fact there is no rural delivery
at a location and won't accept the actual PO mail address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've avoided drinking the kool aid on Amazon Prime membership.
Something about paying $99 for the "privilege" of receiving an order for
a reasonable shipping cost in timely fashion irks me.

If whatever I'm buying is less than $49 and the shipping cost is plain
silly I will look to purchase the product elsewhere, and there alot of
elsewhere's available online and locally.

And with faster shipping. But if they have the best price
w/shipping+taxes I still buy from them.

Even if your item is above the threshold, if you opt for free shipping
they seem to delay processing and getting the item out the door just to
remind you that you are not a Prime subscriber.

Yep. I noticed them dragging their feet on an order of mine this
year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/29/2016 11:31 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

I've avoided drinking the kool aid on Amazon Prime membership.
Something about paying $99 for the "privilege" of receiving an order for
a reasonable shipping cost in timely fashion irks me.

If whatever I'm buying is less than $49 and the shipping cost is plain
silly I will look to purchase the product elsewhere, and there alot of
elsewhere's available online and locally.

And with faster shipping. But if they have the best price
w/shipping+taxes I still buy from them.

Even if your item is above the threshold, if you opt for free shipping
they seem to delay processing and getting the item out the door just to
remind you that you are not a Prime subscriber.

Yep. I noticed them dragging their feet on an order of mine this
year.

My most recent "free shipping" order time line:

Order placed late on 5/20
Automatic confirmation email an hour or so later (early hours of 5/21)
"Your order has shipped" email 7pm on 5/23.
Delivered early afternoon 5/25.

No complaints from me.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 May 2016 15:17:37 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

My last 2 orders.
Order placed March 22, 2016
Delivered March 29, 2016
7 days

Order placed February 6, 2016
Delivered February 14, 2016
8 days

No complaints from me.
But I no longer expect prompt free shipping from Amazon.
The time in transit was fast, about 2-3 days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My most recent "free shipping" order time line:

Order placed late on 5/20
Automatic confirmation email an hour or so later (early hours of 5/21)
"Your order has shipped" email 7pm on 5/23.
Delivered early afternoon 5/25.

No complaints from me.

Perce

My latest "free shipping" order on Amazon.

Order placed: 5/22
Acknowledged: 5/22
Order shipped: 5/27
Order received: TBA (not yet), estimated June 2nd

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-29, Steve Stone wrote:

My latest "free shipping" order on Amazon.

Free shipping is NOT the same as Prime shipping.

Free shipping will still take several days. Not even as fast a USPS
Priority Mail (3 days). Prime shipping, OTOH, will take 2 days.
Every freakin' time!

Also, free shipping is not guaranteed to be delivered to yer doorstep.
Prime IS! I once had Prime shipping. I ordered something fer $2.35.
It was on my doorstep 2 days later.

Free shipping and shipping by 3rd vendors is a crapshoot. I once
ordered a used book from Amazon. The vendor was in USA. Took a full
MONTH! to be delivered. OTOH, I ordered something that was shipped
directly from Japan. I got it 8 days after I ordered it. Go figure.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Free shipping and shipping by 3rd vendors is a crapshoot. I once
ordered a used book from Amazon. The vendor was in USA. Took a full
MONTH! to be delivered. OTOH, I ordered something that was shipped
directly from Japan. I got it 8 days after I ordered it. Go figure.

nb

Why does it take 5 days to process an order? I'm guessing they never had
it in stock to begin with. Kind of like the grocery store the past few
years. If they run out of pancake mix they don't get it back in stock
for weeks (Hannafords) . I asked how come? The reply was we get whatever
is on the truck and have no say in what is put on the truck. Sounds to
me like computers have taken over what was once done very well with
common sense, but it must be cheaper or they would have off shored it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 May 2016 16:01:08 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote in

No complaints from me.

One thing I have noticed in the past year or so is that I can no
longer assume Amazon is the low price. Most recent example is
NeatsFoot Oil
http://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-100-P..._3_a_it&sr=8-3

is $14.18 via Amazon and $9.99 at my local Tractor Supply. That's not
considering the $49 min order since I don't have Prime.

Now when there is a local alternative I always compare prices and
usually Amazon is significantly higher, even with free shipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2016 7:30 AM, CRNG wrote:

One thing I have noticed in the past year or so is that I can no
longer assume Amazon is the low price. Most recent example is
NeatsFoot Oil
http://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-100-P..._3_a_it&sr=8-3

is $14.18 via Amazon and $9.99 at my local Tractor Supply. That's not
considering the $49 min order since I don't have Prime.

Now when there is a local alternative I always compare prices and
usually Amazon is significantly higher, even with free shipping.

Tractor Supply is a good source for many things. In my case, it would
only be a 1/2 mile trip from other places I go to frequently. OTOH, if
it was a 5 mile one way trip it would be about break even when you
factor in the true cost of travel.

You really have to factor in what works best for you. Two day free
shipping is nice, but there are times you need something NOW to finish a
project and a few bucks difference is not a consideration.

The internet has changed the way we live and shop. I buy things that I
never knew existed before the internet. Used to be we went to the
store and found what we wanted any had a choice of black or white and
never knew there were a hundred other variations.

An example is bed sheets when we bought new beds. We have two twin XL
beds that adjust instead of one king. Three different stores in the
area offered a total one set of sheets in that size. It was also about
20 miles of driving and over an hour of my time. Overstock.com offered
60 variations. Couple of clicks later they were on the way. Can't
compare price to local as they did not exist locally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-30, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The internet has changed the way we live and shop.

Testify, Ed!

I live 100 mi from the closest urban center. That's 200 mi, round
trip. Care to figure the fuel costs? I'm lucky to get 15 mpg. So,
it's infinitely cheaper to shop, online, even if I have to pay
outrageous shipping charges.

OTOH, I would rather shop, locally. What if you get a bad item? How
much fer return shipping, etc. Plus, I like to support local
businesses. And yes, you are correct. Driving 10 miles (in my case)
to a Tractor Supply store is not a deal breaker. Ours is right next
to our local True Value store. I go to both much more than I would
like. 8|

But, we lack the BIG box stores, like Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco,
etc, so Amazon is often my only alternative. EXCEPT! .....fer Ebay.

Lotta ppl dismiss Ebay. Big mistake. I jes bought a new banjo off
Ebay. Saved $50 over Amazon and the banjo came already "set-up",
unlike Amazon. My buddy shops on ebay, constantly. He's a hoarder
and Ebay keeps him fully hoarded and boarded!

nb

Amazon stealth deliveries Mike Tomlinson UK diy 85 January 21st 16 07:06 PM
CPC deliveries Andrew Gabriel UK diy 18 November 11th 14 02:35 PM
OT Amazon deliveries. Peter Crosland UK diy 65 August 14th 14 02:39 PM
Screwfix Deliveries [email protected] UK diy 9 September 5th 08 09:52 PM
Screwfix deliveries (not again!) David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 May 10th 04 10:40 PM