Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amazon stealth deliveries

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

To non-deliveries.

I saw the van slow down outside the house (the driver saw me at the
window) and stop just beyond it. No movement, so I went out only to find
that he had driven off. A later email advised me he had delivered it to
'Claire at door 5'.

There's no 'Claire' (and no parcel) at 'door 5' down from us. Someone
(perhaps not 'Claire at door 5'...) has a £1000 laptop in a box with my
address on.

The replacement arrived three days later without any dramas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 13:32, F wrote:
On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

To non-deliveries.

I saw the van slow down outside the house (the driver saw me at the
window) and stop just beyond it. No movement, so I went out only to find
that he had driven off. A later email advised me he had delivered it to
'Claire at door 5'.

There's no 'Claire' (and no parcel) at 'door 5' down from us. Someone
(perhaps not 'Claire at door 5'...) has a £1000 laptop in a box with my
address on.

The replacement arrived three days later without any dramas.

Whilst I am definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way
they treat their employees, this is exactly the reason why I tend to buy
from them - customer service at a level that is considered standard in
the US, but is still almost unheard of here in the UK (John Lewis is one
exception).

Had you bought it from Curry's (or any other UK company for that matter)
you would have been lucky to have seen your money (or replacement
merchandise) in months...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Whilst I am definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way
they treat their employees, this is exactly the reason why I tend to buy
from them - customer service at a level that is considered standard in
the US, but is still almost unheard of here in the UK (John Lewis is one
exception).

You're joking, aren't you? Standard delivery times in the UK seem to be
something only dreamt about in the US - unless you pay through the nose.

BTW, John Lewis 'free' delivery is a lot slower than many.

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Whilst I am definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way
they treat their employees, this is exactly the reason why I tend to buy
from them - customer service at a level that is considered standard in
the US, but is still almost unheard of here in the UK (John Lewis is one
exception).

You're joking, aren't you? Standard delivery times in the UK seem to be
something only dreamt about in the US - unless you pay through the nose.

BTW, John Lewis 'free' delivery is a lot slower than many.

Sorry, should have made it clearer - I was only referring to their (and
JL's) customer service.

I totally agree that Amazon's "free" delivery is pants - I am certain
that they intentionally delay deliveries to try and tempt you to sign
for Prime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 14:51, JoeJoe wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Whilst I am definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way
they treat their employees, this is exactly the reason why I tend to buy
from them - customer service at a level that is considered standard in
the US, but is still almost unheard of here in the UK (John Lewis is one
exception).

You're joking, aren't you? Standard delivery times in the UK seem to be
something only dreamt about in the US - unless you pay through the nose.

BTW, John Lewis 'free' delivery is a lot slower than many.

Sorry, should have made it clearer - I was only referring to their (and
JL's) customer service.

I totally agree that Amazon's "free" delivery is pants - I am certain
that they intentionally delay deliveries to try and tempt you to sign
for Prime.

If you have prime then you can elect to have a slow delivery and get a
£1 credit.
This pays for prime if you read kindle books.
Frequently they deliver next day even when you go for a slow delivery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:51:17 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

I totally agree that Amazon's "free" delivery is pants -

Was fine just before Christmas, stuff seemed to picked and packed
before your finger had left the mouse button after clicking "Order".
B-)

Not so good now, ordered some things in the wee small hours of Sunday
morning. 1000 Monday morning notification from the market place
seller that their stuff had been "disptached". So far nothing from
Amazon other than the order confirmation...

I am certain that they intentionally delay deliveries to try and tempt
you to sign for Prime.

They probably have a priority system in the order processing queue,
free delivery starts low and every so ofen gets an automatic review
bumping up the priority as the last posting date approaches.
certainly once stuff has been picked and packed the transit time is
the same.

Wether you class that sort of things as "intentional" or just a side
effect of good order processing management is debateable.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 17:16, Tim Streater wrote:

I always choose the cheapest Amazon delivery and stuff always arrives
quickly. I can't imagine doing anything else.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 17:16, Tim Streater wrote:

I always choose the cheapest Amazon delivery and stuff always arrives
quickly. I can't imagine doing anything else.

I am just up the road from their "fulfillment center" in Dunfermline (I
am in Balerno Nr Edinburgh) so virtually all deliveries from them are
next day, I can see no need for prime .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-18, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
wrote:

[17 lines snipped]

I totally agree that Amazon's "free" delivery is pants - I am certain
that they intentionally delay deliveries to try and tempt you to sign
for Prime.

I always choose the cheapest Amazon delivery and stuff always arrives
quickly. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Quite. Why anyone pays for premium delivery is beyond me.

Sometimes you really do want it tomorrow guaranteed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-18, Tim wrote:
In article_OCdnfWS9clvZgHLnZ2dnUU78aGdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk, JoeJoe
wrote:

[17 lines snipped]

I totally agree that Amazon's "free" delivery is pants - I am certain
that they intentionally delay deliveries to try and tempt you to sign
for Prime.

I always choose the cheapest Amazon delivery and stuff always arrives
quickly. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Quite. Why anyone pays for premium delivery is beyond me.

Probably because they get confused trying to navigate around the
delivery options - which always gravitate towards Prime and paid-for
next day delivery!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Whilst I am definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way
they treat their employees, this is exactly the reason why I tend to buy
from them - customer service at a level that is considered standard in
the US, but is still almost unheard of here in the UK (John Lewis is one
exception).

You're joking, aren't you? Standard delivery times in the UK seem to be
something only dreamt about in the US - unless you pay through the nose.

BTW, John Lewis 'free' delivery is a lot slower than many.

Who remembers posting off the little order coupon from a newspaper or
magazine for something and "waiting 28 days" in the 70's?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 January 2016 16:40:14 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Who remembers posting off the little order coupon from a newspaper or
magazine for something and "waiting 28 days" in the 70's?

And it not coming at all, because the firm had gone bust or disappeared, which seemed to happen a lot.

There was no easy way of knowing that Messrs Techno-Tat was actually operating out of a shoebox for letters in a tobacconist's.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/01/16 16:40, Tim Watts wrote:

Who remembers posting off the little order coupon from a newspaper or
magazine for something and "waiting 28 days" in the 70's?

I used to work for a company will a mail-order department. The wait 28
days was only on the form because everyone else did it. The orders could
have been turned round in a few days, but because of that 28 days nobody
worried about the time until the backlog reached 27 days, then PANIC.

--
djc

(–€̀¿Ä¹̀¯–€̀¿ ̀¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 2:06 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Whilst I am definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way
they treat their employees, this is exactly the reason why I tend to buy
from them - customer service at a level that is considered standard in
the US, but is still almost unheard of here in the UK (John Lewis is one
exception).

You're joking, aren't you? Standard delivery times in the UK seem to be
something only dreamt about in the US - unless you pay through the nose.

BTW, John Lewis 'free' delivery is a lot slower than many.

Well, Since Oct 2015, I have completely turned around my view of 'fast
delivery'. I ma now quite happy to wait the week that something might
take to get to me.

Having been in construction since 78, either, building or hard
landscaping, I was shocked to experience work inside distribution
warehouses.

while being an all-round healthy form of work which, did me a whole
lot of good, the pressure to maximise throughput was ugly. Personal
targets (without reward) meant that avoiding some duties, in order to
perform, meant chaos ensued.

In the last month I was on a system that isolated me from the people
immediately around me. 8 hours of very little communication else you
upset the 'voicette'. Controllers who did not mix and know what was
going on -other than 3 good ones who actually worked to make things
easier for the labour pool-.

The, very strict, 30 minute break was a sombre atmosphere. The crowd
all being agency workers, bemoaned the competitive pressure that would
come from the agency rep who would remind us of our target failures

Being told, after being in the building 30+ minutes and kitting up and
then, reporting at he Control point near a qtr mile inside the store,
that I will not be needed today.

Nah, I don't want to be responsible for putting the distributors of my
community through that stress. I'll wait, and, if at all possible, I
will make that known to the supplier.

I got too much to say about this subject, I will leave it there.

But, it is true that it is healthy work. It did me a lot of good
walking 8 miles a day with a bit of lifting here and there. And, I want
to get back into it. There are forward thinking agencies out there that
do deploy the method of 'workforce first'. I'm gonna find one.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:39:33 -0000 (UTC)
Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:06:45 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[quoted text muted]

You're joking, aren't you? Standard delivery times in the UK seem
to be something only dreamt about in the US - unless you pay
through the nose.

We have Prime, and quite apart from the video library ("Man in the
High Castle" is probably one of the best series of the past few
years, and that's not from lack of competition) music library, and
free selected deliveries, we also have access to same-day deliveries
(up to 10 pm).

So, for *us* Amazon work. Been a customer since 1997, and the few
issues (fingers of one hand etc) have been cleared to our
satisfaction each time.

Last year, we ordered a DVD. We didn't receive it, so flagged it. A
replacement was sent and received the next day. That evening a
distant neighbour dropped the original in. The label had been
slightly damaged so the house number was illegible - clearly the
dlivery driver guessed. Amazon said to keep the spare

Last year, I bought an HP Laser printer from Amazon. It didn't work (it
wouldn't grab paper from the tray). Amazon took care of a
replacement quickly and efficiently, with DPD dropping a new one off one
day, and picking the first one up in the new one's packing the next day.
I have no issues with them at all, and always receive items with free
delivery on or before the anticipated date.
And they told me to keep the first one's toner cartridges, which are
tricky to ship anyway.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 13:32, F wrote:
On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

To non-deliveries.

I saw the van slow down outside the house (the driver saw me at the
window) and stop just beyond it. No movement, so I went out only to find
that he had driven off. A later email advised me he had delivered it to
'Claire at door 5'.

There's no 'Claire' (and no parcel) at 'door 5' down from us. Someone
(perhaps not 'Claire at door 5'...) has a £1000 laptop in a box with my
address on.

The replacement arrived three days later without any dramas.

Whilst I am definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way they
treat their employees, this is exactly the reason why I tend to buy from
them - customer service at a level that is considered standard in the US,
but is still almost unheard of here in the UK (John Lewis is one
exception).

You should try being a supplier. They claim virtually every delivery is
short, not just odds and ends but they regularly claim 30 out of 36 pieces
in a sealed case were not delivered. I have increased all our prices to them
by 10% just to cover the admin time it takes providing proof of delivery
etc. for 50% of consignments.

I'm still fighting a £500 charge back for late delivery when the delay was
down to their loading dock being broken. Yes they do charge suppliers £500
for missing a delivery book in time and date by more than 2 hours!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 14:37, Muddymike wrote:
On 18/01/2016 13:32, F wrote:
On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

[...]

Heard that from other sources as well. Should have written "Whilst I am
definitely no fan of their tax avoidance tactic or the way they treat
their employees AND SUPPLIERS"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/16 13:32, F wrote:
On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

To non-deliveries.

I saw the van slow down outside the house (the driver saw me at the
window) and stop just beyond it. No movement, so I went out only to find
that he had driven off. A later email advised me he had delivered it to
'Claire at door 5'.

There's no 'Claire' (and no parcel) at 'door 5' down from us. Someone
(perhaps not 'Claire at door 5'...) has a £1000 laptop in a box with my
address on.

The replacement arrived three days later without any dramas.

yeah I had one of those 'delivered it to your safe place' (porch out of
the rain).

Nothing.

Got refund on one item and another of the other item

a week later I noticed a soggy mess of brown cardboard blowing in the
back garden

It was a disintegrated Amazon parcel, with a ruined book inside, and a
bit of electronics with soggy packaging that actually worked when I
dried it out. I think I deserved that.

Amazons own delivery= worst there is.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/16 13:32, F wrote:
On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

[...]

Yodel not delivering round your way then?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:23:39 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:23:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 18/01/16 13:32, F wrote:
On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

[...]

I guess that's an YMMV or FSVO. Round here (Brum) Amazons own delivery
service is the best of the lot. Apart from the weird (but
understandable)
practice of preventing early deliveries. A few times the van has pulled
up, and waited 5-10 minutes before the driver comes to the door. The
machine won't accept a delivery confirmation before the earliest
estimated time.

Same with DPD (which Amazon used here yesterday)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:04:36 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

The USB HDD that the Amazon fairy delivered the other day wouldn't have
gone through the letter box. The box it came in just about came through
the damn door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adrian
escribió:

The USB HDD that the Amazon fairy delivered the other day wouldn't have
gone through the letter box. The box it came in just about came through
the damn door.

Could be worse, you know. I've had hard drives (bare drives) delivered
by Ebuyer in a jiffy bag and nothing else. They went straight back,
didn't even open the bag.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 13:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

I had one (an SSD) posted through the letterbox yesterday. I saw the van
arrive, and went to the door expecting to have to sign for it - but it
was poking through the letterbox and the delivery man was walking away.

I ordered it on Wednesday - for free delivery, having had to run the
usual gauntlet of avoiding signing up for a free trial of Prime, or
opting to pay extra for next day delivery which they try to sneak in
while you're not looking. The scheduled delivery date was Thursday 21st.
On Friday, I got an email saying that it it had been dispatched, and on
Sunday another one saying it was out for delivery.

That's the second item I've bought from Amazon recently which has been
delivered way earlier than their initial estimate. Can't help feeling
that they quote long delivery times in order to try to con you into
paying extra to get it sooner - whereas it comes pretty quickly with
free delivery anyway!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Roger Mills
escribió:

Can't help feeling
that they quote long delivery times in order to try to con you into
paying extra to get it sooner - whereas it comes pretty quickly with
free delivery anyway!

Yes. Ebuyer do the same thing.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:30:49 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:48:25 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artĂ*culo , Roger Mills
escribiĂ³:

Can't help feeling that they quote long delivery times in order to try
to con you into paying extra to get it sooner - whereas it comes pretty
quickly with free delivery anyway!

Yes. Ebuyer do the same thing.

3 years ago, Wednesday before good Friday, I ordered a drive from
eBuyer,
and paid for next day delivery. Of course, Thursday it wasn't delivered.
Chasing (over an hour ) between eBuyer and Parcelforce descended into
a he-said, she said over whether eBuyer had specified next day (POF said
they hadn't). Either way, I didn't see the drive until the following
Tuesday.

The address label ought to have stated the requested service, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/16 14:32, Roger Mills wrote:

That's the second item I've bought from Amazon recently which has been
delivered way earlier than their initial estimate. Can't help feeling
that they quote long delivery times in order to try to con you into
paying extra to get it sooner - whereas it comes pretty quickly with
free delivery anyway!

If they are sensible, I guess they are buying themselves padding and
stock control time. Perhaps if they don't need the padding today, they
just process it normally.

Wish they'd go back to using DPD for express - Amazon logistics is not
as good, though at least you can leave standing "what if I'm not in"
instructions which is one up on other methods.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:39:08 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 18/01/16 14:32, Roger Mills wrote:

That's the second item I've bought from Amazon recently which has been
delivered way earlier than their initial estimate. Can't help feeling
that they quote long delivery times in order to try to con you into
paying extra to get it sooner - whereas it comes pretty quickly with
free delivery anyway!

If they are sensible, I guess they are buying themselves padding and
stock control time. Perhaps if they don't need the padding today, they
just process it normally.

Wish they'd go back to using DPD for express - Amazon logistics is not
as good, though at least you can leave standing "what if I'm not in"
instructions which is one up on other methods.

I rarely use Aamzon now, but made a distress purchse of a hard disk
yesterday. I got express delivery.

DPD delivered it today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:39:08 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Wish they'd go back to using DPD for express - Amazon logistics is not
as good, ...

Amazon who? All the stuff I bought for Christmas was DPD and/or Royal
Mail. I guess that Amazon Logistics will cherry pick the areas they
deliver to, densely populated areas only. Not ones like here where
the drops are all several minutes if not tens of minutes drive apart.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonno" wrote in message ...

Royal Mail are pricing themselves out of the parcel market. I was asked
to post a 3kg parcel by 2nd class post yesterday. RM wanted £13.75. I
can get a courier to do next day for around £7.

The courier who may promise to do next day for around £7
can only do so because they're simply agents who farm out
the work to self employed drivers using their own cars and vans
often as a second job. Many of whom won't be properly
insured and are working for peanuts.

Which is why when the parcel goes missing more often than
not each of the parties involved will all try and pass the
buck and disclaim any responsibility

As to Amazon Logistics as I explained on here before
they're not owned by Amazon but are self employed
drivers or small outfits using their own vans which
are painted with Amazon livery.
If you still don't want to believe me then here's their
recruitment ad

https://logistics.amazon.co.uk
quote

Does it cost anything to become a delivery provider for Amazon?
No, but if you join the programme, you'll need to provide delivery vehicles, driver and
safety training programmes, and insurance coverage. If you're a professional delivery
business, it's likely that you already have everything you need/quote

Delivery is a cut throat business. "City Link" - who used self
employed drivers using their own vans - were Amazon's biggest
"delivery partner"; before they went bust just before Chrismas
2104 owing tens of thousands to the drivers.

Amazon and Beezos didn't get where they are today by
writing off capital by investing in a cut throat business
like deliveries when there are plenty of mugs around
all too happy to fight each other for that particular
priviledge.

Although its obviously not in anyone's interests
Amazons or their "partners" to shout it from the rooftops.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:32:53 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

My guess is that bumped up the pecking order when a van loaded with
paid-for despatch items is about to go out with spare space.
Over the last month or so, incidentally, I've received Amazon items
delivered by own-van, Royal Mail and a carrier (DPD I think). There
must be a lot of clever stuff going on in their algorithms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Can't help feeling that they quote long delivery times in order to try to con you into
paying extra to get it sooner - whereas it comes pretty quickly with free delivery
anyway!

No. They quote long delivery times so that when the item turns
up early you'll get a nice surprise. Basically it vomit
"enhances the customer experience"/vomit without costing them
any extra.

A secondary benefit is that it covers their arses in the
event of something going wrong with the delivery. One
instance might be where a customer has an ambiguous
delivery address for instance.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah yes, they are very good at that sort of thing. Not sure how they do it,
but a friend suspects they are using trained squirrels.
Brian

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(top-posted for Brian)

Heh. trained squirrels

They're about to start using drones for deliveries in America - from Ars
Technica:

quote
"So Prime Air is a future delivery service that will get packages to
customers within 30 minutes of them ordering it online at Amazon.com,"
he told Yahoo News. "The goals we've set for ourselves a The range
has to be over 10 miles. These things will weigh about 55 pounds each,
but they'll be able to deliver parcels that weigh up to five pounds. It
turns out that the vast majority of the things we sell at Amazon weigh
less than five pounds."
/quote

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...air-drones-to-
carry-5lb-packages-over-10-miles-in-30-minutes/

En el artículo , Brian Gaff
escribió:
Ah yes, they are very good at that sort of thing. Not sure how they do it,
but a friend suspects they are using trained squirrels.
Brian

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Ordered a USB stick from Amazon yesterday. Anticipated delivery
tomorrow (Tue). Tracking page concurs.

Get an email: "your package will be delivered today"

Potter about doing nothing much.

Another email: "your package has been posted through your letterbox"

And sure enough, there it is. Hadn't even heard the flap go.

From stealth ninjas to stealth deliveries...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:15:34 GMT, pamela wrote:

On 20:32 18 Jan 2016, Sam Plusnet wrote:

In article ,
says...
I don't like those deliveries which arrive in dribs and drabs.

Last week I rang a retailer in the Channel Islands (where 7DayShop is
based) to ask if a large order for health supplements which I was
placing could be delivered in one package. The answer was no.

This article mentions an £18 limit to qualify for tax exemption which
may be part of the explanation.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-shopping-vat-
channel-islands

I believe that "loophole" was closed in 2012/3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-17563620

Interesting. In that case, I wonder why so many companies choose to
supply goods to the UK from the Channel islands.

Also - why they still don't want to group together all the goods into
one delivery?

my last delivery from 7dayshop was for 9 items and they arrived in 7 lots. I
suspect it's so they'll go through most doors, as the VAT reason has gone.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PeterC
wrote:
[...]

alo because thye don't seem to have on central warehouse. I've had
deliveries from the UK, two sources, as well as the Netherlands.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:29:02 GMT, pamela wrote:

On 10:07 19 Jan 2016, charles wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/dec/09/online-
shopping-vat-channel-islands

I believe that "loophole" was closed in 2012/3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-17563620

Interesting. In that case, I wonder why so many companies choose
to supply goods to the UK from the Channel islands.

Also - why they still don't want to group together all the goods
into one delivery?

my last delivery from 7dayshop was for 9 items and they arrived in 7
lots. I suspect it's so they'll go through most doors, as the VAT
reason has gone.

alo because thye don't seem to have on central warehouse. I've had
deliveries from the UK, two sources, as well as the Netherlands.

On the other hand, I asked for my goods to be sent in a single package
but was told no.

So my delivery came in several parts and all arrived on the same day.
They came from a single warehouse.

It would have been cheaper and more convenient to send the items as a
single package but, for some reason unrelated to the number of
warehouses involved, they didn't.

It's human rationality vs. computer logic - computer says FO!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

[OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc. News UK diy 29 July 30th 15 10:37 PM
CPC deliveries Andrew Gabriel UK diy 18 November 11th 14 02:35 PM
OT Amazon deliveries. Peter Crosland UK diy 65 August 14th 14 02:39 PM
Screwfix Deliveries [email protected] UK diy 9 September 5th 08 09:52 PM
Screwfix deliveries (not again!) David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 May 10th 04 10:40 PM