Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small roof leak

I've had this roof leak for about 1 year. It's small and I put a
container in the dining room where it leaks through the light. Its now
to the point of being a nuisance since the 5 gallon HD bucket sits on
the dining table and my wife is getting upset with the stench from above.

A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2016 07:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
I've had this roof leak for about 1 year. It's small and I put a
container in the dining room where it leaks through the light. Its now
to the point of being a nuisance since the 5 gallon HD bucket sits on
the dining table and my wife is getting upset with the stench from above.

A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

You hopefully posted this as a joke.

Not a good one though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 7:31:21 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/11/2016 07:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
I've had this roof leak for about 1 year. It's small and I put a
container in the dining room where it leaks through the light. Its now
to the point of being a nuisance since the 5 gallon HD bucket sits on
the dining table and my wife is getting upset with the stench from above.

A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

You hopefully posted this as a joke.

Not a good one though.

He should put the bucket in the attic, attach a hose to it so the water drains out under the eaves. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Silly Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 5:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
I've had this roof leak for about 1 year. It's small and I put a container in
the dining room where it leaks through the light. Its now to the point of
being a nuisance since the 5 gallon HD bucket sits on the dining table and my
wife is getting upset with the stench from above.

Old fashioned clothes pins are effective nose-pinchers!
Put some fake flowers in the bucket and tell her how great
they smell!

A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down and
silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the shingles. Will
this work?

A better solution might be to get a REALLY REALLY REALLY (did I mention
"really"?) big TARP and cover the entire house! Then, when it is
exceedingly windy, you can lift off one corner of the fastener and
"sail" the house to your desired destination (leaving the car in the
driveway for the duration)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2016 07:47 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 7:31:21 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/11/2016 07:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
I've had this roof leak for about 1 year. It's small and I put a
container in the dining room where it leaks through the light. Its now
to the point of being a nuisance since the 5 gallon HD bucket sits on
the dining table and my wife is getting upset with the stench from above.

A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

You hopefully posted this as a joke.

Not a good one though.

He should put the bucket in the attic, attach a hose to it so the water drains out under the eaves. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Silly Monster

Now we've talking.

I actually did something like that in an apartment I rented !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 6:57 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Connect it to the WC -- "largest use of water in a typical home!".
Retire at 55 from the accumulated savings in water and sewer charges!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 8:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

I'd wait for blue tarps and duct tape to go on sale at Harbor Freight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Stone posted for all of us...

On 5/11/2016 8:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

I'd wait for blue tarps and duct tape to go on sale at Harbor Freight.

+1 I was going to post it had to be a blue tarp from HF.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 20:18:27 -0400, Larry K wrote:

I've had this roof leak for about 1 year. It's small and I put a
container in the dining room where it leaks through the light. Its now
to the point of being a nuisance since the 5 gallon HD bucket sits on
the dining table and my wife is getting upset with the stench from above.

A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

You need to cover the ENTIRE ROOF with buckets siliconed to the
shingles. Then you silicone another layer of buckets over the lower ones
to cover the gaps between them. If it still leaks, add another layer of
buckets. Keep adding layers till the leak stops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message ...
Steve Stone posted for all of us...

On 5/11/2016 8:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

I'd wait for blue tarps and duct tape to go on sale at Harbor Freight.

+1 I was going to post it had to be a blue tarp from HF.

Get the extra thin one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney"
wrote in message

Tekkie®"
wrote in message
Steve Stone posted for all of us...

On 5/11/2016 8:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the
roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The
top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

I'd wait for blue tarps and duct tape to go on sale
at Harbor Freight.

+1 I was going to post it had to be a blue tarp from
HF.

Get the extra thin one.

Naw. Just duct tape a copy of your insurance policy
over the hole. That should do it! ;)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 2:08:05 PM UTC-4, Phil Kangas wrote:
"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney"
wrote in message

TekkieŽ"
wrote in message
Steve Stone posted for all of us...

On 5/11/2016 8:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the
roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The
top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

I'd wait for blue tarps and duct tape to go on sale
at Harbor Freight.

+1 I was going to post it had to be a blue tarp from
HF.

Get the extra thin one.

Naw. Just duct tape a copy of your insurance policy
over the hole. That should do it! ;)

That won't work.

Most insurance policies have more holes in them than a good-sized strainer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 May 2016 07:33:34 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

On 5/11/2016 8:18 PM, Larry K wrote:
A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down
and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the
shingles. Will this work?

I'd wait for blue tarps and duct tape to go on sale at Harbor Freight.

Who needs shingles. Just cover the whole roof with a one inch layer of
silicone. Apply a blue tarp on top of the silicone making sure it sticks
well. Then cover the tarp with another 2 inches of clear silicone,
making sure the whole roof is covered. 24,642 tubes of clear silicone,
and several of the largest blue tarps available, and you'll have a
leakproof roof that should last a lifetime.

Roof leak Farmer Giles[_2_] UK diy 16 December 31st 13 06:51 PM
Fixing small gas leak? Joe J Home Repair 13 June 18th 10 10:49 PM
roof leak coloradotrout Home Repair 79 November 14th 09 05:15 AM
Odd leak on the roof Rod Home Ownership 0 June 3rd 07 05:33 AM
Small CH leak Roger Mills UK diy 9 November 3rd 03 05:32 PM