Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Busted jigsaw motor - fixable?

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

--
Many of the world's greatest runners come from Kenya because they have a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:23:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Recycle the copper
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2016 10:23 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits,
found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still
doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it
go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Does the motor have brushes? The sparking looks like a motor with worn
brushes. Easily replaced on most.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:46:57 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2016 10:23 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits,
found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still
doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it
go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Does the motor have brushes? The sparking looks like a motor with worn
brushes. Easily replaced on most.

The brushes look fine. I've been down that road before only to find it was because a coil was overloading the brushes.

--
Worlds most powerful nob enlarger - a space suit with a fly zip
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:45:29 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:23:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Recycle the copper

Metal ain't worth much.

--
If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 16:02:34 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:45:29 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:23:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Recycle the copper

Metal ain't worth much.

I was trying to be environmentally conscious. Throw it in the trash if
you want.
Around here, I would sit it on the curb and a "scrapper" would take
it. One bit of copper may not bring much but when they accumulate a
bucket full, it is beer money
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 16:02:15 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:46:57 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2016 10:23 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits,
found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still
doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it
go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Does the motor have brushes? The sparking looks like a motor with worn
brushes. Easily replaced on most.

The brushes look fine. I've been down that road before only to find it was because a coil was overloading the brushes.

After looking at the video I too think it's the brushes, still. They
can look fine and be too short. When I couldn't find** brushes for my
convertible top motor, I wadded up 2 little pieces of aluminum foil
and put them underneath the springs that pushed the brushes against
the commutator. So they pushed harder. The motor was still working
when I got rid of the car 2 or 3 years later.

**Before I started, I'd found what I thought were the right size at a
real hardware store that had 20 sizes of brush, and the carbon was the
right size, but the braided copper "wire" of the new ones was 1/3 or
less the x-section of the old ones. I couldn't lower the top to go
looking for anything else, and so I figured it was safer to stick with
the old one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/16 10:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/8/2016 10:23 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits,
found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still
doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it
go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Does the motor have brushes? The sparking looks like a motor with worn
brushes. Easily replaced on most.

+1

--
Your taxes are high because you support lots of folks who can't be
bothered with working. They ever come by and say thanks€¦or can I mow
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/16 11:57 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2016 16:02:34 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:45:29 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:23:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Recycle the copper

Metal ain't worth much.

I was trying to be environmentally conscious. Throw it in the trash if
you want.
Around here, I would sit it on the curb and a "scrapper" would take
it. One bit of copper may not bring much but when they accumulate a
bucket full, it is beer money

Yeah well if he balances it against the gas he burns driving all around
town collecting, he's in the hole.

--
Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.
- Calvin Coolidge
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:16:23 +0100, Micky wrote:

[...]

I guess the coil could have shorted, wearing out one brush. It does behave a little better without the shorted coil connected. I'll try new brushes.

--
Why is bra singular and panties plural?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 16:57:01 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 16:02:34 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:45:29 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:23:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Recycle the copper

Metal ain't worth much.

I was trying to be environmentally conscious. Throw it in the trash if
you want.
Around here, I would sit it on the curb and a "scrapper" would take
it. One bit of copper may not bring much but when they accumulate a
bucket full, it is beer money

Do they not recycle for you round there? We have 5 different bins collected from our homes here, between weekly and 3-weekly.
1) Waste.
2) Garden waste.
3) Paper/card/plastic/metal.
4) Glass/batteries/anything electrical like the jigsaw/usable clothes.
5) Food waste.

--
New here? Pull up a chair and we'll plug you in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 9:23:38 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0
--
Many of the world's greatest runners come from Kenya because they have a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.

One thing you can do is to use a strip of sandpaper to clean the commutator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brush Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:35:05 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 9:23:38 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0
--
Many of the world's greatest runners come from Kenya because they have a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.

One thing you can do is to use a strip of sandpaper to clean the commutator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

I'll sand the commutator and get new brushes.

--
Black.... like the clouds of death that follow me into the forest of doom and hide in the wardrobe of darkness! Blaaaackk!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 May 2016 13:26:05 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 5/8/16 11:57 AM, wrote:
[...]

These guys make a living at it. Little bits like that motor do not
amount to much but they also get bigger things like AC units, white
goods and chunks of scrap aluminum. The trucks are usually pretty full
when you see them. I always sit my stuff out there and it disappears
pretty quickly, although I will admit, since construction has
recovered, there are not as many people doing it. It did take a week
for a fridge to go away and they used to be gone in a day.
OK by me, I scored a spare set of crisper bins, Someone had already
taken the ice maker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:31:46 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

I was trying to be environmentally conscious. Throw it in the trash if
you want.
Around here, I would sit it on the curb and a "scrapper" would take
it. One bit of copper may not bring much but when they accumulate a
bucket full, it is beer money

Do they not recycle for you round there? We have 5 different bins collected from our homes here, between weekly and 3-weekly.
1) Waste.
2) Garden waste.
3) Paper/card/plastic/metal.
4) Glass/batteries/anything electrical like the jigsaw/usable clothes.
5) Food waste.

They are very selective about what they take, it is a single stream
facility and I think they end up burning most of it.
They pluck out the clean aluminum, magnet out the steel and do a very
rough sort of the rest. It really makes more sense to burn paper and
plastic in the waste to energy plant than to truck it 1000 miles to a
plant that will lose money recycling it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/8/16 11:57 AM, wrote:
[...]

There is only one scrap metal guy around here, I hear him shouting for metal only once every 2 or 3 months. When I told him of a freezer to pick up from my house, it took 2 weeks and several reminder phonecalls for him to collect it.
--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:26:14 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Dunno what the costs are here, as the government is probably subsidising the recycling out of my taxes without my permission.

--
Barber: "Your hair is getting grey."
Customer: "Try cutting a little faster."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 May 2016 10:46:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2016 10:23 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits,
found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still
doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it
go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Does the motor have brushes? The sparking looks like a motor with worn
brushes. Easily replaced on most.

If it's a brand name unit you can likely buy a new armature for it,
but it will likely cost as much as the saw. The armature on it has at
least one bad winding on it - either shorted or open.

On a cheap unit generally not worth the effort. If it was a fein or
festool, or possibly a Milwaukee or Delta it might be worth while.
Black and decker or no-name-chinese, not worth even contemplating the
repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 13:16:23 -0400, Micky
wrote:

[...]

Trust me micky - it's more than brushes. He's "burnrd out" the
armature - guaranteed. Most likely a shorted coil - possibly (but
unlikely) an open coil.. No set of brushes available will solve the
problem - but if he keeps running it that way it WILL damage the
brushes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:39:02 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Well I've disconnected one winding, and I'll fit new brushes (which only cost a quid).

--
I took my Biology exam last Friday. I was asked to name two things commonly found in cells. Apparently "Blacks" and "Scousers" were not the correct answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Definitely shorted, definitely not open. I tested every pair of contacts, all 1.1 ohms, and one 0.1 ohms.
I've disconnected the shorted one.

--
*Squawk!* Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine! [Parroty error]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:32:23 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

[...]

That is always the case. At best it is a make work job for everyone in
that recycling stream. If it made financial sense, people would do it
without using tax money (like collecting aluminum cans and the scrap
metal we are talking about). There are places where scrap paper has
some small value but only if you are near a place where it can be
reprocessed into a product. You would be trucking it past pulpwood
farms to get to a place like that here and the diesel to get the there
costs more than the pulp wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:48:10 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Making work for people is stupid. If there isn't enough work to go round, don't create more work, give each person less work. Divide the sensible work evenly between everybody.

--
It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 14:22:39 -0400, wrote:

Yeah well if he balances it against the gas he burns driving all around
town collecting, he's in the hole.

These guys make a living at it. Little bits like that motor do not
amount to much but they also get bigger things like AC units, white
goods and chunks of scrap aluminum. The trucks are usually pretty full
when you see them. I always sit my stuff out there and it disappears
pretty quickly, although I will admit, since construction has
recovered, there are not as many people doing it. It did take a week
for a fridge to go away and they used to be gone in a day.
OK by me, I scored a spare set of crisper bins, Someone had already
taken the ice maker.

I dont make a habit of picking up junk, but twice a year a local town
has "junk day". People can throw away anything except tires and tv sets
and a few other things. They pile the junk on the curbs on Friday and
it's all picked up by Sat. afternoon. During that 24 hour period, there
are a bunch of people who drive around and grab all the good stuff. Some
of them continue doing it late into the night. Knowing from the past
that I've gotten quite a bit of useful stuff, I go out early on Friday
and just drive around. I've come home with lawn mowers, snow blowers
etc., that only need minor work. New building materials that are just
left over from jobs, like lumber, bundles of shingles, and so on. Used
but good sinks, cabinets, and the list goes on.

They just recently did that. I went to the wealthy side of town first,
and got a perfectly good picnic table and chair set, made of metal with
a glass top on the table. Aside from a few minor spots of rust, it's
perfect. I got a around 150 brand new picture frames still wrapped in
their packaging, (which I'll sell to a local guy who sells at flea
markets), got one of those expensive park-like benches made with cast
iron legs and back, which just needs some new boards on the seat. (heck,
I got lots of scrap treated wood to fix that). I also got a few gas
cans, an electric guitar which works fine but needs a few strings,
several rakes and shovels, a wheerlbarrow that only needs a tire, a few
windows, and more....

But my biggest find was a MIG welder, which appears to work, except I
dont have the gas that is needed to use it, but it feeds wire and will
throw an arc. (I've never used one of them, I only stick weld, but I'll
have a friend who welds look at it and if it's worthwhile, I'll buy some
gas for it).

Total cost to get all this stuff was about $10 worth of gas to drive
around, and I have to admit I had a lot of fun doing it.

What surprised me were the guys who were still doing it (with
flashlights) at 2am, when I left the local bar.

It's amazing what some people throw away....

---

As far as the original topic of this thread, ANY motor can be rebuilt at
a motor rebuilding company. Those companies can be found in almost every
city and even small towns. Those guys can rewind any motor, replace
brushes, etc. The question is whether it's worth the cost. We have a
place in town that does this work, and it's well worth his price to
rebuild a 10HP motor from a farm auger, or rebuild a starter for a
tractor, or industrial motors that cost a firtune to buy new. And lots
of other stuff. But the cost to repair a small jigsaw motor may not be
worth it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 May 2016 10:35:05 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

One thing you can do is to use a strip of sandpaper to clean the commutator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brush Monster

ding, Ding, DING. We have a winner folks, stop the presses.

A little Emory cloth works wonders. BTDT.

Cousin Alternator / Starter shop Teenager.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One thing you can do is to use a strip of sandpaper to clean the commutator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brush Monster

ding, Ding, DING. We have a winner folks, stop the presses.

A little Emory cloth works wonders. BTDT.

Cousin Alternator / Starter shop Teenager.

I used to service automatic doors and most of them use a 90vdc motor attached to a gearbox for both swinging and sliding door operators. If I had a bad motor that was beyond simple maintenance, I'd ship it to Southern Winding Service. The folks there have a lot of expertise when it comes to rewinding motors of any size. Of course, I had a few spare motors. ^_^

http://www.southernwinding.com/

[8~{} Uncle Wound Up Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One thing you can do is to use a strip of sandpaper to clean the commutator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brush Monster

ding, Ding, DING. We have a winner folks, stop the presses.

A little Emory cloth works wonders. BTDT.

Cousin Alternator / Starter shop Teenager.

I used to service automatic doors and most of them use a 90vdc motor attached to a gearbox for both swinging and sliding door operators. If I had a bad motor that was beyond simple maintenance, I'd ship it to Southern Winding Service. The folks there have a lot of expertise when it comes to rewinding motors of any size. Of course, I had a few spare motors. ^_^

http://www.southernwinding.com/

[8~{} Uncle Wound Up Monster

When I saw "motor rewinding" advertised, I thought they were in the dodgy business of winding back the odometer on cars.

--
You know, sometimes I get the sudden urge to run around naked.
But then I just drink some Windex. It keeps me from streaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One thing you can do is to use a strip of sandpaper to clean the commutator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brush Monster

ding, Ding, DING. We have a winner folks, stop the presses.

A little Emory cloth works wonders. BTDT.

Cousin Alternator / Starter shop Teenager.

I used to service automatic doors and most of them use a 90vdc motor attached to a gearbox for both swinging and sliding door operators. If I had a bad motor that was beyond simple maintenance, I'd ship it to Southern Winding Service. The folks there have a lot of expertise when it comes to rewinding motors of any size. Of course, I had a few spare motors. ^_^

http://www.southernwinding.com/

[8~{} Uncle Wound Up Monster

I forget most of the details of the 60's. The shop had a machine to
test the amps ? on an armature for a starter, generator or alternator.

There was a bead blaster cabinet -- items good as new. Even a diode in
the alternator. The shop had a Lath to turn the armature to level the
copper.

I was a short time from being Drafted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We have/had a few good electric motor repair shops here in Birmingham but it's been a few years since I was able to work so I don't know if the shops are still open. A while back, I found out that a fellow I'd dealt with for decades in the electronic supply business passed away and he wasn't 50 yet. I imagine that if I get walking again I could visit the supply houses and not recognize anyone there. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:59:16 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:43:56 -0400,
wrote:

But my biggest find was a MIG welder, which appears to work, except I
dont have the gas that is needed to use it, but it feeds wire and will
throw an arc. (I've never used one of them, I only stick weld, but I'll
have a friend who welds look at it and if it's worthwhile, I'll buy some
gas for it).

If you have flux core wire you don't need the gas for ferrous metals.
CO2 has gotten to be ridiculous and argon always was.

I thought about that, and I looked up the welder online. I found the
manual. It's a Clarke 100E MK2. According to the instructions, it's ONLY
made for use with the gas. The models ending in "EN" can be used with
flux core. Actually, I cant understand why the flux core wont work in
ANY of these welders???

I know that gas is expensive, and I'd probably have to lease the tank
too. In all honesty, if I do have to get the gas, I'll probably sell the
welder on Craigslist. I dont weld that much stuff, but on a farm, there
is always something that needs to be welded. I have gotten by for years
with my stick welder, and if I cant do it with that, I'd rather just pay
the local welding shop to do it. Even if the gas lasts me a few years,
for the little welding I do, if I have to pay a yearly tank lease, it's
probably not worth it.

I guess I just dont know enough about wire welding (MIG welding) to know
if I can use flux core with it or not. I've never claimed to be a
welder, but I can usually fix the heavy ferrous metals with my stick
welder, even if it's not the nicest looking job. But welding thin metals
(like a car body), is impossible with a stick welder. I was told these
MIG welders work well for thinner stuff like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 5:25:15 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I used to service automatic doors and most of them use a 90vdc motor

attached to a gearbox for both swinging and sliding door operators. If I
had a bad motor that was beyond simple maintenance, I'd ship it to
Southern Winding Service. The folks there have a lot of expertise when
it comes to rewinding motors of any size. Of course, I had a few spare
motors. ^_^

http://www.southernwinding.com/

It would probably cost several times the cost of the jigsaw to get the
motor rewound.

That's why I recommended first aid and not a major operation. Now if he wanted to spend the money for a learning experience.... I've spent a little money to fix things that were not so expensive because I wanted to know how the item worked. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Cheep Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you walked into a motor rewinding shop with a consumer grade jig
saw motor they would laugh you out into the street.
These guys do big industrial motors that are worth their time. We did
have a shop in Ft Myers that rewound Delco alternator stators in their
spare time but only the most popular model and it was a swap out deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Talk to the guy at the welding store.

Busted jigsaw motor - fixable? Mr Macaw UK diy 43 May 19th 16 10:39 PM
Is this fixable? [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 December 6th 06 12:07 AM
Jigsaw Blades: Einhell EPST 710W Jigsaw Cw Laser 44.720.42 AMO UK diy 4 July 8th 06 05:23 PM
Is this (easily) fixable John UK diy 8 April 24th 06 02:53 AM
C-5 crash...Fixable? Tom Gardner Metalworking 43 April 6th 06 10:49 PM