Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Busted jigsaw motor - fixable?

On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:22:39 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 8 May 2016 13:26:05 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 5/8/16 11:57 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2016 16:02:34 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:45:29 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:23:26 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75z1zyve3jajgg7/Saw.AVI?dl=0

Recycle the copper

Metal ain't worth much.

I was trying to be environmentally conscious. Throw it in the trash if
you want.
Around here, I would sit it on the curb and a "scrapper" would take
it. One bit of copper may not bring much but when they accumulate a
bucket full, it is beer money

Yeah well if he balances it against the gas he burns driving all around
town collecting, he's in the hole.

These guys make a living at it. Little bits like that motor do not
amount to much but they also get bigger things like AC units, white
goods and chunks of scrap aluminum. The trucks are usually pretty full
when you see them. I always sit my stuff out there and it disappears
pretty quickly, although I will admit, since construction has
recovered, there are not as many people doing it. It did take a week
for a fridge to go away and they used to be gone in a day.
OK by me, I scored a spare set of crisper bins, Someone had already
taken the ice maker.

There is only one scrap metal guy around here, I hear him shouting for metal only once every 2 or 3 months. When I told him of a freezer to pick up from my house, it took 2 weeks and several reminder phonecalls for him to collect it.
--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."