Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default C-5 crash...Fixable?

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michelle

Tom Gardner wrote:
A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Michelle" wrote in message
. net...
Tom Gardner wrote:
A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle

Turn on your TV...it's everywhere, except the cartoon chanel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michelle

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Michelle" wrote in message
. net...

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle

Turn on your TV...it's everywhere, except the cartoon chanel.

You cold have said that the first time.
Looks like getting out was not a problem.
Michelle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Saw a pic on Fox, the front quarter is snapped off and laying at right
angle to the rest. Wings are still attached, some fire on the ground
behind the inboard right engine, but not big. Looks like a puddle of fuel.

Just on Fox again. They had mechanical trouble and were coming back to
land. Went in a couple hundred yards short of the runway in a field. All
fires are out.

Michelle wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Video and still pics at
www.cnn.com

It's unlikely that the plane will be rebuilt. The C-5 is so big that is
fairly spindly, it doesn't take kindly to being thrashed like this. But
almost any aircraft can be rebuilt/reworked if you spend enough $$ on it.

Michelle wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Janssen

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

If they still can find the name tag (serial number etc.) then its
fixable. It might be cheaper to
buy a new one however.

Bill k7NOM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Tom Gardner wrote:
A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

"I think that'll buff right out"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

In article ,
Rex B wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

"I think that'll buff right out"

Might need a bit of bondo. (:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Green

On 03/04/06 12:50 PM, B.B. wrote:
In article ,
Rex B wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

"I think that'll buff right out"

Might need a bit of bondo. (:

I always thought the C-5 opened vertically at the front not sideways
like a WWII glider. Guess I was wrong.

--
Larry Green

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Need one of those dent pullers and some Wisconsin chrome.

"Duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon"

Larry Green wrote:
On 03/04/06 12:50 PM, B.B. wrote:
In article ,
Rex B wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

"I think that'll buff right out"

Might need a bit of bondo. (:

I always thought the C-5 opened vertically at the front not sideways
like a WWII glider. Guess I was wrong.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:40:30 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Video and still pics at
www.cnn.com

It's unlikely that the plane will be rebuilt. The C-5 is so big that is
fairly spindly, it doesn't take kindly to being thrashed like this. But
almost any aircraft can be rebuilt/reworked if you spend enough $$ on it.

Doncha just have to jack up the exhaust and slide a new plane in place
of the old one?
ERS

Michelle wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:20:00 -0400, Larry Green
wrote:

On 03/04/06 12:50 PM, B.B. wrote:
In article ,
Rex B wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

"I think that'll buff right out"

Might need a bit of bondo. (:

I always thought the C-5 opened vertically at the front not sideways
like a WWII glider. Guess I was wrong.

Gonna be a bitch unloading the cargo. How ya gonna get a forklift in
there?

I guess they could call a battalion of Marines and do it manually

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:20:00 -0400, Larry Green
wrote:

On 03/04/06 12:50 PM, B.B. wrote:
In article ,
Rex B wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

"I think that'll buff right out"

Might need a bit of bondo. (:

I always thought the C-5 opened vertically at the front not sideways
like a WWII glider. Guess I was wrong.

Gonna be a bitch unloading the cargo. How ya gonna get a forklift in
there?

I guess they could call a battalion of Marines and do it manually

Gunner

That's not too far from Aberdeen Proving Grounds. They could bring up some
M1 tanks and drag the stuff out.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Bill Janssen" wrote in message
| Tom Gardner wrote:
|
| A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
| out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.
|

| If they still can find the name tag (serial number etc.) then its
| fixable. It might be cheaper to
| buy a new one however.
|
| Bill k7NOM

That model went out of production awhile back (I tried to make that
funny, but it wasn't working.) I'm sure what's left of it will be
worthwhile as spare parts, as they've been flying the hell out of them
lately.
Really major jobs like that are unlikely, as I'm sure the jigs and such
have all been scrapped. Boeing has done work similar in scale to that, but
only because they were still building that model and were able to provide
huge sections of airplane brand new to replace the smashed up bits.
Lockheed got out of the airplane building business, thankfully, so that
possibility is pretty much nil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik

In article , Louis Ohland
wrote:

Need one of those dent pullers and some Wisconsin chrome.

"Duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon"

Nothing says 'quality' like wrinkle free duct tape!

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Saw the same - one wing had the foam all flat - which means the press
were kept well away just in case.

I heard the crew for the most part (wondered what that meant) got out easily -
some had fuel spilled upon them.

With a fire in an engine and a wing full of fuel - they did good getting
back to the base and on the grass.

I lost a good friend in the first C5 crash - he was the co-pilot and was
back on the rear gate that would not close during the emergency takeoff.

Big planes don't have many crashes - but make the news when they do.
It was a time that the Air force or other armed forces would have a mishap
once or twice a year. Not in a long time.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Michelle wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

any pictures? otherwise why did you post this?
Michelle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Just sled it over to the runway. Or put down temp runway like in the war.
Easy for fork lifts. Use monster Hysters. Like on the docs.

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:20:00 -0400, Larry Green
wrote:

On 03/04/06 12:50 PM, B.B. wrote:

In article ,
Rex B wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be parted
out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.

"I think that'll buff right out"

Might need a bit of bondo. (:

I always thought the C-5 opened vertically at the front not sideways
like a WWII glider. Guess I was wrong.

Gonna be a bitch unloading the cargo. How ya gonna get a forklift in
there?

I guess they could call a battalion of Marines and do it manually

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

carl mciver wrote:

Lockheed got out of the airplane building business, thankfully, so that
possibility is pretty much nil.

That's news to me and the other 50,000+ employees at Lockheed as we
deliver more F-16's, some F/A-22's, and C-130J's every month... :}

Craig C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Exactly, Lockheed is far from being out of the aircraft business.

A lot of the C5-A's have wing spar problems, been that way for years,
but it still did not hinder their flight worthyness, in regards to
safety. All it did was limit max load capacity they could carry.......

On 3 Apr 2006 23:51:58 -0700, wrote:
carl mciver wrote:

Lockheed got out of the airplane building business, thankfully, so that
possibility is pretty much nil.

That's news to me and the other 50,000+ employees at Lockheed as we
deliver more F-16's, some F/A-22's, and C-130J's every month... :}

Craig C.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim McGill

Default What's Wisconsin chrome (was C-5 crash)

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MetalCutter

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Duct tape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

"MetalCutter" wrote in message
. net...

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Duct tape.

Shall we start on regionalisms? Might be fun. My contributions:

Tijuana Chrome Silver paint

Oklahoma Overhaul Giving a worn out anything a nice paint job, without
doing any repairs.

I'm in Oregon----any Oregon ones?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:16:12 GMT, "Bill Marrs"
wrote:

"MetalCutter" wrote in message
.net...

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Duct tape.

Shall we start on regionalisms? Might be fun. My contributions:

Tijuana Chrome Silver paint

Oklahoma Overhaul Giving a worn out anything a nice paint job, without
doing any repairs.

I'm in Oregon----any Oregon ones?

Oregon carwash
leave the car sitting outside.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

wrote:

"MetalCutter" wrote in message
.net...

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Duct tape.

Shall we start on regionalisms? Might be fun. My contributions:

Tijuana Chrome Silver paint

Oklahoma Overhaul Giving a worn out anything a nice paint job, without
doing any repairs.

I'm in Oregon----any Oregon ones?

Regarding your "Oklahoma Rebuild": Another name for it is "Krylon
Rebuild". It's great because everyone seems to get it right off the
bat. Another euphemism that was local to me was what a co-worker
called a massage parlor with the name "Yvette's Sauna". He called it
"Yvette's Steam & Cream".
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

wrote:

"MetalCutter" wrote in message
y.net...

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Duct tape.

Shall we start on regionalisms? Might be fun. My contributions:

Tijuana Chrome Silver paint

Oklahoma Overhaul Giving a worn out anything a nice paint job, without
doing any repairs.

I'm in Oregon----any Oregon ones?

Oregon carwash
leave the car sitting outside.

Oregon Lexus - Subaru Outback
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike hide

"carl mciver" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Bill Janssen" wrote in message
| Tom Gardner wrote:
|
| A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted
| out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.
|

| If they still can find the name tag (serial number etc.) then its
| fixable. It might be cheaper to
| buy a new one however.
|
| Bill k7NOM

That model went out of production awhile back (I tried to make that
funny, but it wasn't working.) I'm sure what's left of it will be
worthwhile as spare parts, as they've been flying the hell out of them
lately.
Really major jobs like that are unlikely, as I'm sure the jigs and such
have all been scrapped. Boeing has done work similar in scale to that,
but
only because they were still building that model and were able to provide
huge sections of airplane brand new to replace the smashed up bits.
Lockheed got out of the airplane building business, thankfully, so that
possibility is pretty much nil.

Lockheed taught Boeing how to build big aircraft........Just like
Dehavilland taught them how to make the 727and BAC taught Douglas how to
make the DC9....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| carl mciver wrote:
|

| Lockheed got out of the airplane building business, thankfully, so that
| possibility is pretty much nil.
|

| That's news to me and the other 50,000+ employees at Lockheed as we
| deliver more F-16's, some F/A-22's, and C-130J's every month... :}
|
| Craig C.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I should have said large aircraft. I knew
better, my bad. It looks like I'll be competing with you for the tanker....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Bill Marrs" wrote in message

"MetalCutter" wrote in message
. net...

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Duct tape.

Shall we start on regionalisms? Might be fun. My contributions:

Tijuana Chrome Silver paint

Oklahoma Overhaul Giving a worn out anything a nice paint job, without
doing any repairs.

I'm in Oregon----any Oregon ones?

Oregon Pinstriping... That's what ya call the stripes ya get from driving
around in the woods around here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article , "Glenn"
wrote:

"Bill Marrs" wrote in message

"MetalCutter" wrote in message
. net...

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Duct tape.

Shall we start on regionalisms? Might be fun. My contributions:

Tijuana Chrome Silver paint

Oklahoma Overhaul Giving a worn out anything a nice paint job, without
doing any repairs.

I'm in Oregon----any Oregon ones?

Oregon Pinstriping... That's what ya call the stripes ya get from driving
around in the woods around here.

Oklahoma gas card - 7 feet or so of 3/8" hose and a gas can.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

Shall we start on regionalisms? Might be fun. My contributions:

Tijuana Chrome Silver paint

"Mexican Socket Set" = Adjustable wrench.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

mike hide wrote:

"carl mciver" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Bill Janssen" wrote in message
| Tom Gardner wrote:
|
| A C-5 crashed near Dover AFB...looks fixable to me but, will it be
parted
| out and scraped? I'll bet the seatcovers are a lost cause.
|

| If they still can find the name tag (serial number etc.) then its
| fixable. It might be cheaper to
| buy a new one however.
|
| Bill k7NOM

That model went out of production awhile back (I tried to make that
funny, but it wasn't working.) I'm sure what's left of it will be
worthwhile as spare parts, as they've been flying the hell out of them
lately.
Really major jobs like that are unlikely, as I'm sure the jigs and such
have all been scrapped. Boeing has done work similar in scale to that,
but
only because they were still building that model and were able to provide
huge sections of airplane brand new to replace the smashed up bits.
Lockheed got out of the airplane building business, thankfully, so that
possibility is pretty much nil.

Lockheed taught Boeing how to build big aircraft........Just like
Dehavilland taught them how to make the 727and BAC taught Douglas how to
make the DC9....

Ok, I'll bite.. Did Boeing teach Airbus anything?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:56:41 -0700, Jim McGill
wrote:

That's a new regionalism on me. So what is "Wisconsin chrome"? Aluminum
paint?

Jim

After two weeks of the flu, I must be delirious. In a fever stupor, I
thought how great it would be to vacuum my head clear.

Sooo..You might be a redneck if you ever cleared your sinuses with a
Mityvac brake bleeder.

You heard it here first.
Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:25:51 -0500, Andy Asberry wrote:

After two weeks of the flu, I must be delirious. In a fever stupor, I
thought how great it would be to vacuum my head clear.
Sooo..You might be a redneck if you ever cleared your sinuses with a
Mityvac brake bleeder.

I've been an EMT for a dozen years or so, so I have a bit of basis for
this statement - that's pretty much all we're going to use in the back
of an ambulance anyway. Some of the hand-powered suction units have a
remarkable resemblance to a Mityvac. Bigger tubing though, for the
chunks. Training sessions for suction in EMT class usually involve a
can of chunky beef stew...

You heard it here first.

Ever consider the emergency services? I like how you think...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:25:51 -0500, Andy Asberry wrote:

After two weeks of the flu, I must be delirious. In a fever stupor, I
thought how great it would be to vacuum my head clear.
Sooo..You might be a redneck if you ever cleared your sinuses with a
Mityvac brake bleeder.

I've been an EMT for a dozen years or so, so I have a bit of basis for
this statement - that's pretty much all we're going to use in the back
of an ambulance anyway. Some of the hand-powered suction units have a
remarkable resemblance to a Mityvac.

After my wife had been in labor for 44 hours,
they told us they could do a C-section or try
"the vacuum". The vacuum was the equivilent
of a Mityvac with a hose and a little plastic
cap. They stuck the cap on the baby's head,
drew a vacuum, waited for the next contraction
and gave a pull on the hose. Out popped the kid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:47:49 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:25:51 -0500, Andy Asberry wrote:

Sooo..You might be a redneck if you ever cleared your sinuses with a
Mityvac brake bleeder.

I've been an EMT for a dozen years or so, so I have a bit of basis for
this statement - that's pretty much all we're going to use in the back
of an ambulance anyway. Some of the hand-powered suction units have a
remarkable resemblance to a Mityvac.

After my wife had been in labor for 44 hours,
they told us they could do a C-section or try
"the vacuum". The vacuum was the equivilent
of a Mityvac with a hose and a little plastic
cap. They stuck the cap on the baby's head,
drew a vacuum, waited for the next contraction
and gave a pull on the hose. Out popped the kid.

You know what, they did that with both my kids, and I'd bet money that
it was an actual mityvac. I also bet that we paid for it and it went in
the trash, dammit. Oddly enough, my normal scrounger-self wasn't paying
attention to that at the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default MityVac (( was What's Wisconsin chrome (was C-5 crash))

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

I'm going to copy this to the MityVac rep.
He'll get a kick out of it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

Yeah, the potential liability on something like that would be a real
thigh-slapper.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
c.henry

i tried this on my 3 year old daughter when she jammed a 6mm plastic
bb up her nose , still took a trip to the ER
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

I bet the medical version has a much higher price that covers the
premiums, plus a profit that would make an extortioner blush.