Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Busted jigsaw motor - fixable?

On Sun, 8 May 2016 13:15:46 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 2:52:37 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 8 May 2016 10:35:05 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

One thing you can do is to use a strip of sandpaper to clean the commutator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brush Monster

ding, Ding, DING. We have a winner folks, stop the presses.

A little Emory cloth works wonders. BTDT.

Cousin Alternator / Starter shop Teenager.

I used to service automatic doors and most of them use a 90vdc motor attached to a gearbox for both swinging and sliding door operators. If I had a bad motor that was beyond simple maintenance, I'd ship it to Southern Winding Service. The folks there have a lot of expertise when it comes to rewinding motors of any size. Of course, I had a few spare motors. ^_^

http://www.southernwinding.com/

[8~{} Uncle Wound Up Monster

I forget most of the details of the 60's. The shop had a machine to
test the amps ? on an armature for a starter, generator or alternator.

There was a bead blaster cabinet -- items good as new. Even a diode in
the alternator. The shop had a Lath to turn the armature to level the
copper.

I was a short time from being Drafted.