Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Went from a single capacitor to a dual Capacitor and the fan is nowgoing in and out.

Tried to fix my own AC. Had a technician come out and tell me my contactor and capacitor needed to be replaced. He wanted to charge me $500 to do both so decided to try it myself. I bought both items and changed out the contactor easily enough just by going wire to wire. However, the AC unit was using a single capacitor with a start capacitor and I switched to a dual capacitor. Figured out where the wires were supposed to go (I hope) turned power back on and the fan would run but then after about ten seconds it sounded like it would switch off and then start back up, then switch off, and then start back up, kept repeating the pattern.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 5:52:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Tried to fix my own AC. Had a technician come out and tell me my contactor and capacitor needed to be replaced. He wanted to charge me $500 to do both so decided to try it myself. I bought both items and changed out the contactor easily enough just by going wire to wire. However, the AC unit was using a single capacitor with a start capacitor and I switched to a dual capacitor. Figured out where the wires were supposed to go (I hope) turned power back on and the fan would run but then after about ten seconds it sounded like it would switch off and then start back up, then switch off, and then start back up, kept repeating the pattern.

Any ideas?

Should clarify, it would run ten seconds then switch off and start immediately back up, then ten more seconds later would do the same thing
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 May 2016 05:58:47 -0500, philo wrote:

If the price seems a bit high but the work is done right , it is not a
rip off.

In the situation with the OP though, it might have been.

Then there is this (which I posted maybe a year ago):

While fiddling with a leaky toilet my wife told me a dozen times to
"call a plumber!" Since I really did not want to fool with it anyway I
took her advice and thought, "well there goes $500."

Nope, he quoted me $2000! I'm serious!

Fortunately the service call just to come out was just $64 and he did a
thorough inspection of the pipes.

I went to Home Depot, spent $85 for a new toilet which works just fine.

It took me an hour to put it in.

-
Did he have his finger on the trigger while he pointed that toilet at
your head, and reached for your wallet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2016 10:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

snip

Last year my heat pump went out in the summer. Called the repair man
and was told it would be about $ 90 to come out. He said it was the
capacitor. I thought it might be $ 50, but his company has a fixed rate
of about $ 350 to replace one.

Felt ripped off on that, but he did a coil cleaning for less than $ 100
and a good checkout. I learned a lot from that and got a capacitor and
contactor off ebay for about $ 40 in case either may go out again.
Most would have felt ripped off, but I felt like I got a good education
on the system while he was here. I do have some gauges and a tank of
refregrent that I used to charge a sysem in another house I lived in.
Had to buy the refrigerant but aquired the gauges and hoses for free.
This man did seem to really know what he was doing.

If the price seems a bit high but the work is done right , it is not a
rip off.

In the situation with the OP though, it might have been.

Then there is this (which I posted maybe a year ago):

While fiddling with a leaky toilet my wife told me a dozen times to
"call a plumber!" Since I really did not want to fool with it anyway I
took her advice and thought, "well there goes $500."

Nope, he quoted me $2000! I'm serious!

Fortunately the service call just to come out was just $64 and he did a
thorough inspection of the pipes.

I went to Home Depot, spent $85 for a new toilet which works just fine.

It took me an hour to put it in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2016 05:19 AM, wrote:

-
Did he have his finger on the trigger while he pointed that toilet at
your head, and reached for your wallet?

No but I assume some people fall for it, the outfit has been in business
for years