Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WEG 5HP Compressor Motor - Dual Capacitor Single Phase

Does anyone have a WEG 5HP Dual Capacitor 203-230 volts Single Phase
Electric Motor in their shop?. I need the capacitor values. Model 0898
AP77935. The motor is usually found on a compressor.

I am trying to repair this motor for s shop and 3 electricians have
given up. But the capacitors are missing. Yes missing. The wiring for
the capacitors is not in parallel so the capacitors are probably for
running and starting.

WEG is unable to find the model number in their reference materials.
And the local motor shop is no help without the capacitor values.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 18, 8:39*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Bob *AZ fired this volley in news:f739d78a-745e-
:

The wiring for
the capacitors is not in parallel so the capacitors are probably for
running and starting.

Likely one end is common. *It is typical for motors of that size (and
I'll bet 184T form factor) to have two start/run caps. *One is always in
circuit -- it's an oil cap, designed to run full-time at AC and full
voltage. *The other is a *usually larger* electrolytic that's also non-
polarized, but only is in circuit during spin-up.

IIRC, the full-time run-cap (oil) is about 80uF at 250V or above. *I
don't recall the start-cap's value, but could find it on one of about a
dozen motors at work, given a trip in Monday.

Lloyd

Lloyd

Thank you for the very valuable information. The information does
confirm a drawing that WEG sent me that has only the Capacitor
Connection information. I opened the motor at the capacitor switch end
and the actual switch is two switches in series with a tap in the
common position. Also the capacitors have a common lead.

I will appreciate the capacitor values if you are able to make it
available.

Disclaimer!

Despite my many years of experience with electrical things my
electrical motor smarts need some more help.

Take care and thanks for the prompt response.

Bob AZ