Puddin' Man

Default Replace dual AC Capacitor with 2 single cap's

Replace dual AC Capacitor with 2 single cap's
(apologies if you've seen this elsewhere)

Greetings,

I have a GE dual (fan and compressor)
capacitor # 97F5360 from a 2-ton Carrier 'round one'
circa 1984. It has evidently failed. The Condensing Unit is
getting lo-voltage current, but neither the fan nor the
compressor will even click.

The specs on the cap. are 25/5 mfd, 440v. Evidently
it is not practical to find a replacement part.

I'm told that it should be practical to wire 2 cap's
to replace the 'dual': a 25 mfd for the compressor,
and a 5 mfd for the fan.

The 3 terminals on the old 'dual' were wired as follows:

Terminal Post Color(size)
________ ____ ______________
Fan 1 brown(skinny)
Common 1 black(skinny)
Common 2 yellow(fat)
Common 3 yellow(skinny) and brown(skinny)
Common 4 yellow(fat)
Compressor(HERM) 1 blue(skinny)
Compressor(HERM) 2 blue(skinny)

A "Fine, Fine Feller" advised as follows:

"All you need to do is take the wire off F and put it on the
smaller cap then take the wire of H and put it on the larger
cap. Put the remaining wires from C on the open terminal on
either cap and run a jumper from that terminal to the other
empty terminal and its done."

There are 4 wires on the 4 posts of the old Common, and only
4 posts per terminal, so it's not practical to wires all 4 +
a jumper to the Common of either of the new cap's. So
perhaps I just wire, say, 2 to each new Common and add the
jumper. Could look like:

Cap. Terminal Post Color(size)
_____ ________ ____ ______________
5 mfd Fan 1 brown(skinny)
5 mfd Common 1 black(skinny)
5 mfd Common 2 yellow(fat)
5 mfd Common 3 JUMPER(fat)

25 mfd Common 1 yellow(skinny) and brown(skinny)
25 mfd Common 2 yellow(fat)
25 mfd Common 3 JUMPER(fat)
25 mfd Compressor(HERM) 1 blue(skinny)
25 mfd Compressor(HERM) 2 blue(skinny)

I have found a source for the new cap's. It looks like I
have room to mount them in the unit.

Does this look 100% practical? Any/all advise, etc much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Richard J Kinch

Puddin' Man writes:

Does this look 100% practical?

Yes. Done it myself.
Dr. Hardcrab

"Puddin' Man" wrote

Replace dual AC Capacitor with 2 single cap's
(apologies if you've seen this elsewhere)

Greetings,

I have a GE dual (fan and compressor)
capacitor # 97F5360 from a 2-ton Carrier 'round one'
circa 1984. It has evidently failed. The Condensing Unit is
getting lo-voltage current, but neither the fan nor the
compressor will even click.

Not trying to be smart, but do you have high voltage? On BOTH sides of the
contactor (when the contactor is pulled in)?

The specs on the cap. are 25/5 mfd, 440v. Evidently
it is not practical to find a replacement part.

I have a couple out in my truck.

[...]

That'll work. Have had to do it many-a-time when I didn't have one on my
truck. Just make sure that the capacitors are secure in the cabinet and that
the terminals are not touching anything.

Puddin' Man

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:48:42 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote

Replace dual AC Capacitor with 2 single cap's
(apologies if you've seen this elsewhere)

Greetings,

I have a GE dual (fan and compressor)
capacitor # 97F5360 from a 2-ton Carrier 'round one'
circa 1984. It has evidently failed. The Condensing Unit is
getting lo-voltage current, but neither the fan nor the
compressor will even click.

Not trying to be smart, but do you have high voltage? On BOTH sides of the
contactor (when the contactor is pulled in)?

Hmmmm. The little spring-loaded contactor in the middle of
the control box of the Condensing Unit? I set the Tstat for
cool, the furnace fan starts, I run out to the CU, the
little spring-loaded contactor is frozen. When I try to push
it in it just hums, won't budge. Pushes in easily when power
is shut down.

Maybe it's not the cap.?

The Install Notes say when "Contactor is Open",
maybe burned out transformer. Forgive my ignaorance,
what does the transformer look like?

The specs on the cap. are 25/5 mfd, 440v. Evidently
it is not practical to find a replacement part.

I have a couple out in my truck.

Grainger evidently doesn't have any (I called). I dunno why.

[...]

Good enough.

Much Thanks,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Stormin Mormon

I have a GE dual (fan and compressor)
capacitor # 97F5360 from a 2-ton Carrier 'round one'
circa 1984. It has evidently failed. The Condensing Unit is
getting lo-voltage current, but neither the fan nor the
compressor will even click.

Not trying to be smart, but do you have high voltage? On BOTH sides of the
contactor (when the contactor is pulled in)?

Hmmmm. The little spring-loaded contactor in the middle of
the control box of the Condensing Unit? I set the Tstat for
cool, the furnace fan starts, I run out to the CU, the
little spring-loaded contactor is frozen. When I try to push
it in it just hums, won't budge. Pushes in easily when power
is shut down.

Maybe it's not the cap.?
CY: Wow, I am sensing that you're not really familiar with AC systems. When
the system calls for cooling, it's supposed to energize the coil of the
contactor, and pull the switch in. So, the "won't budge" should be pulled
in. Which completes the circuit. That's what it's supposed to do.

The Install Notes say when "Contactor is Open",
maybe burned out transformer. Forgive my ignaorance,
what does the transformer look like?
CY: Open is the relaxed mode of the contactor. When it's pulled in, that's
closed. Transformer will be in the furnace, or air handler. Tranformer is
square, and has four wires.

The specs on the cap. are 25/5 mfd, 440v. Evidently
it is not practical to find a replacement part.

I have a couple out in my truck.

Grainger evidently doesn't have any (I called). I dunno why.
CY: Try an AC parts house, or Froogle.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

That'll work. Have had to do it many-a-time when I didn't have one on my
truck. Just make sure that the capacitors are secure in the cabinet and

that
the terminals are not touching anything.

Good enough.
CY: Safety is important.

Much Thanks,
Puddin'

Puddin' Man

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:51:46 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I have a GE dual (fan and compressor)
capacitor # 97F5360 from a 2-ton Carrier 'round one'
circa 1984. It has evidently failed. The Condensing Unit is
getting lo-voltage current, but neither the fan nor the
compressor will even click.

Not trying to be smart, but do you have high voltage? On BOTH sides of the
contactor (when the contactor is pulled in)?

Hmmmm. The little spring-loaded contactor in the middle of
the control box of the Condensing Unit? I set the Tstat for
cool, the furnace fan starts, I run out to the CU, the
little spring-loaded contactor is frozen. When I try to push
it in it just hums, won't budge. Pushes in easily when power
is shut down.

Maybe it's not the cap.?

CY: Wow, I am sensing that you're not really familiar with AC systems. When

It's true, I admit it readily.

Contractor did most of the work 21 years ago, but I wired it.
'Course there wasn't much to it: string proper rated wire,
match color codes, wirenut, etc. I don't even 'member ...

the system calls for cooling, it's supposed to energize the coil of the
contactor, and pull the switch in. So, the "won't budge" should be pulled
in. Which completes the circuit. That's what it's supposed to do.

And it's what it's -not- doing ...

The Install Notes say when "Contactor is Open",
maybe burned out transformer. Forgive my ignaorance,
what does the transformer look like?
CY: Open is the relaxed mode of the contactor. When it's pulled in, that's
closed. Transformer will be in the furnace, or air handler. Tranformer is
square, and has four wires.

Tranformer just converts 120v to 24v.? Unit hums/buzzes,
so it's getting 24v. to the Condense Unit. Right?
So it doesn't look like a Tranformer problem?

The specs on the cap. are 25/5 mfd, 440v. Evidently
it is not practical to find a replacement part.

I have a couple out in my truck.

Grainger evidently doesn't have any (I called). I dunno why.

CY: Try an AC parts house, or Froogle.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

Thanks. It looks interesting. I'd have to rig a different strap,
but ...

That'll work. Have had to do it many-a-time when I didn't have one on my
truck. Just make sure that the capacitors are secure in the cabinet and

that
the terminals are not touching anything.

Good enough.
CY: Safety is important.

Having drawn a few amperes fiddling the cap, I wholeheartedly
agree. :-)

Thx,