Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Went from a single capacitor to a dual Capacitor and the fan is now going in and out.

In article , says...

Glad it's working but I am sure the guy was a rip off.

A capacitor can be checked for value and unless the terminals are burned
there is no way one can tell if it's about to go.

As to the contactor, if the contacts were badly burned it probably was
not a bad idea to replace but normally it would not be replaced unless
the coil opened.

Last year my heat pump went out in the summer. Called the repair man
and was told it would be about $ 90 to come out. He said it was the
capacitor. I thought it might be $ 50, but his company has a fixed rate
of about $ 350 to replace one.

Felt ripped off on that, but he did a coil cleaning for less than $ 100
and a good checkout. I learned a lot from that and got a capacitor and
contactor off ebay for about $ 40 in case either may go out again.
Most would have felt ripped off, but I felt like I got a good education
on the system while he was here. I do have some gauges and a tank of
refregrent that I used to charge a sysem in another house I lived in.
Had to buy the refrigerant but aquired the gauges and hoses for free.
This man did seem to really know what he was doing.