Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WEG 5HP Dual Capacitor 208-230 volts single phase Motor Capacitors

Does anyone have a WEG 5HP Dual Capacitor 203-230 volts Single Phase
Electric Motor in their shop?. I need the capacitor values. Model
0898
AP77935. The motor is usually found on a compressor.

I am trying to repair this motor for a shop and 3 electricians have
given up. But the capacitors are missing. Yes missing. The wiring for
the capacitors is not in parallel so the capacitors are probably for
running and starting.

WEG is unable to find the model number in their reference materials.
And the local motor shop is no help without the capacitor values.

Thanks for any assistance.

WEG is unable to find the model number in their reference materials.
And the local motor shop is no help without the capacitor values.

I had an initial helpful reply to the above message and additional
information was possibly available but things apparently got lost in
the shuffle.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A motor repair shop should be able to recommend and supply the correct
values for the start and run capacitors this motor requires.

Make certain to mention that the motor is air compressor duty rated, and
listen to hear the term capacitor-start/capacitor-run motor, which is the
specific type of motor you have.. and if there's any suspicion that they
don't know what you're referring to, call/visit a different shop.

A CS/CR air compressor duty rated motor of this size will typically require
a start cap value of about 650-850uF and a run cap value of about 25-50uF
(uF, MF, mF typically used to represent microfarads).

The caps need to be AC types (no polarity markings for +/-) and will
typically be rated/marked at about 300VAC.

If you don't have a motor repair shop that you can call or visit, try a HVAC
supplier such as Johnstone, where they at least have some experience with
parts for these types of motors.

It's not that WEG would've used any special values of caps critical to this
specific motor.. the cap values would be about the same for most other CS/CR
motors of this size rated for air compressor duty.

--
WB

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This a long shot but.............are there numbers on the compressor tank
and does the motor look original? If so, go the compressor mfg and see if
they can help you.
Good luck Lyndell

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 25, 2:44*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
[...]

I am inclined to take your advice and try capacitors in the sizes you
suggest. If the starting and running current are close to the name
plate I will let it go. If not I will adjust the sizes as needed.

There are some posts that suggest 80uf per HP for starting and 100 for
running. Maybe I will call WEG again and hope to get some more
information.

Thanks
Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As a manufacturer, they should have someone in the company that knows
something about motors, and it wouldn't need to be a design engineer or
someone who assembled this specific motor model.

If they have any specs of CS/CR capacitor-start, capacitor-run air
compressor duty rated motors that are the same HP as yours (and
approximately the same size pump), the cap values will be completely
suitable.

One characteristic of motor cap values is they have a wide tolerance as far
as value.. so if the marked value indicates 10uF, the actual measured value
of a new cap may be as low as 7, high as 13, but most likely less than +/-
20%.

Heavy duty motors and power circuits in general aren't as critical of
component values as electronic circuits are.

My local motor shop told me years ago that for *fractional HP* motors, the
Start cap value ROT rule of thumb is 500uF per HP.

When the motor HP size is over 1 HP, the ratio drops because the values get
huge.

The Run caps for motors that I've had apart are only a small fraction of the
Start cap value, and in the last 3 HP CS/CR air compressor motor I serviced,
the Run cap value was about 20-30uF, IIRC.

FWIW,
For small CR AC motors such as PSC permanent split capacitor types used in
gearmotors and various machine applications (up to about 1/8 HP), the cap
value will slightly affect the motor's speed (and operating temp), but the
cap values are often single-digit values, and most often less than 20uF.

--
WB