André Cornut

Default 220 ac volts single phase adapter to 550 ac volts 3 phase

Hi

I have access to a lot of metal working equipment that works on 550 ac volts
3 phase. My problem is that I that I only have 220 ac volts single phase in
my house. Is there a way to convert 220 volts ac 1 phase to 550 volts ac
3phase.

Grant Erwin

André Cornut wrote:

I have access to a lot of metal working equipment that works on 550 ac volts
3 phase. My problem is that I that I only have 220 ac volts single phase in
my house. Is there a way to convert 220 volts ac 1 phase to 550 volts ac
3phase.

Two ways: use a single phase transformer to step 220 up to 550 and make a 550VAC
phase converter, or convert 220 1ph to 220 3ph and then use a three phase
transformer to step up to 550 3 phase. Be sure you size your transformer large
enough. - GWE
F. George McDuffee

Anyone know if there is a VFD to do this? Not only do you get
the required voltage/phase change but variable speed as a bonus.

GmcD

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:34:47 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

André Cornut wrote:

I have access to a lot of metal working equipment that works on 550 ac volts
3 phase. My problem is that I that I only have 220 ac volts single phase in
my house. Is there a way to convert 220 volts ac 1 phase to 550 volts ac
3phase.

Two ways: use a single phase transformer to step 220 up to 550 and make a 550VAC
phase converter, or convert 220 1ph to 220 3ph and then use a three phase
transformer to step up to 550 3 phase. Be sure you size your transformer large
enough. - GWE

jw

1750 VA - that's not very big. That will only supply about 3A at your
rated 575V. By the time you derate and other losses in your VFD you
will only be able to drive about a 1hp motor continuous. 100%
efficiency you would be at 2 1/4 hp motor, but you are going to have a
lot of losses, plus I wouldn't want to be driving the transformer and
VFD that hard anyways. Not sure what startup currents would do to this
system.

JW

stanley baer

wrote:

André Cornut wrote:

I have access to a lot of metal working equipment that works on 550 ac volts
3 phase. My problem is that I that I only have 220 ac volts single phase in
my house. Is there a way to convert 220 volts ac 1 phase to 550 volts ac
3phase.

Two ways: use a single phase transformer to step 220 up to 550 and make a 550VAC
phase converter, or convert 220 1ph to 220 3ph and then use a three phase
transformer to step up to 550 3 phase. Be sure you size your transformer large
enough. - GWE

My plan is too step up the 240V to 575V with a single phase transformer
and then feeding it to a 575V VFD (derating it due to the single phase
input). I hope to use one transformer to feed all the machines, but
separate VFD will be required for each one.
I am in the process of buying the required stuff and will let the
newsgroup know how it goes. Tonight I have to finish pulling the wire
to the shop, I have the transformer ($160 Can for a 1750 VA) and am in
the process of buying a used VFD.

stan

stanley baer

jw wrote:

1750 VA - that's not very big. That will only supply about 3A at your
rated 575V. By the time you derate and other losses in your VFD you
will only be able to drive about a 1hp motor continuous. 100%
efficiency you would be at 2 1/4 hp motor, but you are going to have a
lot of losses, plus I wouldn't want to be driving the transformer and
VFD that hard anyways. Not sure what startup currents would do to this
system.

JW

My bridgeport is what I use most of the time, I also have a gearhead
drill press and a pedastal grinder that need 575V, none of these draws
much or starts under load. My lathe is another story, it will be
running on the generator for a while yet.

stan

3-wire electrical circuit serving both 110 and 220V loads? Keith Carlson Woodworking 72 April 20th 14 01:26 AM
Motor capacitor sizing? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 5 June 10th 05 11:14 PM
230v service DanaK Home Repair 24 June 9th 05 03:12 PM
Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 09:07 AM
3 phase armoured used for single phase supply? T i m UK diy 13 February 26th 04 04:25 PM