Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Default A compassionate judge sentences a veteran to 24 hours in jail, thenjoins him behind bars

The judge knew that Sgt. Joseph Serna had been through a lot.

The former Special Forces soldier did four combat tours in Afghanistan over a nearly two-decades-long career with the U.S. Army. Through those years, the Fayetteville Observer reported, Serna was almost killed three times: once, by a roadside bomb, then again by a suicide bomber.

During a tour in 2008, Serna and three other soldiers were driving down a narrow dirt road in Kandahar when their armored truck toppled into a canal, the Associated Press reported. As water filled the vehicle, Serna struggled to escape.

It was his fellow soldier, Sgt. James Treber, who saved him.

I felt a hand come down and unfasten my seat belt and release my body armor, Serna recalled to the AP. Sgt. Treber picked me up and moved me to a small pocket of air. He knew there was not enough room for both of us to breathe so he went under water to find another pocket of air.

Treber died from the accident, but Serna survived. He was the only one who did.

While Sernas years in combat earned him three Purple Hearts and other military accolades, like many combat vets, hes been unable to leave the battlefield behind him. Since returning to the U.S., the decorated Green Beret has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, WTVD reported, and been charged with driving under the influence.

He entered the veterans treatment court program in Cumberland County, N.C., over which state District Court Judge Lou Olivera presides.

Serna has fought to stay sober, appearing before Olivera 25 times to have his progress reviewed. He confessed to Olivera that he lied about a recent urine test last week, according to WRAL.

In response, Olivera sentenced Serna to one day in jail.

The judge drove Serna to the jail in a neighboring county.

When Joe first came to turn himself in, he was trembling, Olivera told the Fayetteville Observer. I decided that Id spend the night serving with him.

Where are we going, judge? Serna asked, the Observers Bill Kirby Jr., reported Wednesday.

Were going to turn ourselves in, the judge said.

As Serna sat down on the cot in his cell, WRAL reported, he heard the door rattle open again and saw Olivera standing before him. Olivera sat down beside him. Someone came and locked the door.

This was a one-man cell so we sat on the bunk and I said, You are here for the entire time with me?' Serna told WTVD. He said, Yeah thats what I am doing.'

A Gulf War veteran himself, Olivera was concerned that leaving Serna in isolation for a night would trigger his PTSD.

The two passed the time trading stories of their experiences in the military. Serna told WRAL: It was more of a father-son conversation. It was personal.

They have worn the uniform and we know they can be contributing members of society, Olivera said. We just want to get them back there.

The incident, which occurred April 13, was reported Thursday in the Observer under the headline: Judges unbelievable compassion for a veteran.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2016 6:37 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
[...]

Leaving him alone would have been very bad. This may be the start of a
real fix for his problems. I hope so.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

burfordTjustice posted for all of us...

[...]

This all boils down to the VA not serving the vets. I am very glad the judge
took compassion on him! I applaud his act. What about the others suffering
the same way? I don't condone DUI under any circumstances but I'm afraid
what is being for our heros is not enough. I hope everyone remembers this
when they vote. The present admin put someone in charge to fix it but it is
evident he cannot do it because of continuing reports of the same old. He is
a figurehead, with no support or direction.

--
Tekkie
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Tekkie wrote:
[...]

Maybe if the Republicans had provided some more funding, thing night have
improved.

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/1935...pact-veterans/

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 19:13:32 -0700
"Bob F" wrote:

Tekkie wrote:
[...]

That has nothing to do with it. The VA has lied and cheated vets for
years, mainly to keep the executive bonuses. Many have dies while
on the SECRET waiting lists, etc. The VA has been Top heavy
for years and needs a 50% cut in executives.