Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - What ****es me off about Veteran's Day

Is that the slacker mailman gets Monday off
and I don't.

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't much
of a soldier. I got good training and a pretty
cushy job for a GI. But apparently, the US
needed me where I was and I tried to do a good
job.

But I am a vet and I'm proud of it. And I'm
****ed that I come into work while the clowns
at the post office don't.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
Is that the slacker mailman gets Monday off
and I don't.

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't much
of a soldier. I got good training and a pretty
cushy job for a GI. But apparently, the US
needed me where I was and I tried to do a good
job.

But I am a vet and I'm proud of it. And I'm
****ed that I come into work while the clowns
at the post office don't.

Jim

Thank you for your service to our country.

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:49:27 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Is that the slacker mailman gets Monday off
and I don't.

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't much
of a soldier. I got good training and a pretty
cushy job for a GI. But apparently, the US
needed me where I was and I tried to do a good
job.

But I am a vet and I'm proud of it. And I'm
****ed that I come into work while the clowns
at the post office don't.

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is that the slacker mailman gets Monday off
and I don't.

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't much
of a soldier. I got good training and a pretty
cushy job for a GI. But apparently, the US
needed me where I was and I tried to do a good
job.

But I am a vet and I'm proud of it. And I'm
****ed that I come into work while the clowns
at the post office don't.

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

What is this, you pluggin' for a birthday present or something? My birthday
is on an important American holiday, too. Income tax day. Nobody forgets my
birthday, as in, "****, it's Ed's birthday and I owe 1,000 bucks..." You
think I get good birthday presents when everybody's mood is like than, hmmm?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Huh? The Post Office clowns NEVER work. Laziest bunch of *^%%%#$#@ I've
seen.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Jim Stewart wrote:

Is that the slacker mailman gets Monday off
and I don't.

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't much
of a soldier. I got good training and a pretty
cushy job for a GI. But apparently, the US
needed me where I was and I tried to do a good
job.

But I am a vet and I'm proud of it. And I'm
****ed that I come into work while the clowns
at the post office don't.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stephen Young" wrote in message
And they probably get paid for it too.

Yahbut, if they DID work it, they would get triple time.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:36:33 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

I was born on Veterans Day..

What is this, you pluggin' for a birthday present or something? My birthday
is on an important American holiday, too. Income tax day. Nobody forgets my
birthday, as in, "****, it's Ed's birthday and I owe 1,000 bucks..." You
think I get good birthday presents when everybody's mood is like than, hmmm?

Not from me, you won't. I schedule my annual dental checkup along with
the trip to the accountant. Now that I'm of that certain age, I should
set up the colonoscopy at the same time. Might as well get it all done
at once. So no birthday present, unless you want to meet at the
proctologist's.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

I was born on Veterans Day..

What is this, you pluggin' for a birthday present or something? My
birthday
is on an important American holiday, too. Income tax day. Nobody forgets
my
birthday, as in, "****, it's Ed's birthday and I owe 1,000 bucks..." You
think I get good birthday presents when everybody's mood is like than,
hmmm?

Not from me, you won't. I schedule my annual dental checkup along with
the trip to the accountant. Now that I'm of that certain age, I should
set up the colonoscopy at the same time. Might as well get it all done
at once. So no birthday present, unless you want to meet at the
proctologist's.

See what I mean? If my parents were a little more thoughtful they would have
scheduled my birth for some date when people were feeling good, but they
didn't have other financial commitments. Memorial Day would have been nice.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Ed Huntress :

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

What is this, you pluggin' for a birthday present or something? My birthday
is on an important American holiday, too. Income tax day. Nobody forgets my
birthday, as in, "****, it's Ed's birthday and I owe 1,000 bucks..." You
think I get good birthday presents when everybody's mood is like than, hmmm?

Well ... I just missed (by about an hour) being born on April
Fool's day. Can you imagine what it would be like going through life
unable to trust your birthday presents to not blow up on you? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to Ed Huntress :

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

What is this, you pluggin' for a birthday present or something? My
birthday
is on an important American holiday, too. Income tax day. Nobody forgets
my
birthday, as in, "****, it's Ed's birthday and I owe 1,000 bucks..." You
think I get good birthday presents when everybody's mood is like than,
hmmm?

Well ... I just missed (by about an hour) being born on April
Fool's day. Can you imagine what it would be like going through life
unable to trust your birthday presents to not blow up on you? :-)

Oooh...lucky man. That could have been a lifelong tragedy.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:28:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

Happy Birthday, Gunner! And thanks for your service to the country
and all of us.

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:36:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

I was born on Veterans Day..

What is this, you pluggin' for a birthday present or something? My birthday
is on an important American holiday, too. Income tax day. Nobody forgets my
birthday, as in, "****, it's Ed's birthday and I owe 1,000 bucks..." You
think I get good birthday presents when everybody's mood is like than, hmmm?

We'll all chip in and get you a copy of the 1040 manual (and maybe a
copy of Thomas Sowell's _Basic Economics_) for your birthday this
year, Ed.

(GUYS, email or fax your donations to me. Do it now because if Ed's
IRS affects you like it does most folks, you won't have any to spare
on his birthday.)

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "SteveB" wrote:

"Stephen Young" wrote in message
And they probably get paid for it too.

Yahbut, if they DID work it, they would get triple time.

No, just double time.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Ned Simmons wrote:

Not from me, you won't. I schedule my annual dental checkup along with
the trip to the accountant. Now that I'm of that certain age, I should
set up the colonoscopy at the same time. Might as well get it all done
at once. So no birthday present, unless you want to meet at the
proctologist's.

Ed, I think I'd be careful about accepting birthday presents from Ned.... g

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , JR North wrote:
Huh? The Post Office clowns NEVER work. Laziest bunch of *^%%%#$#@ I've
seen.

You must live in a large city. That was my impression, too, after years in
Indianapolis. Then we moved to a rural area on the outskirts of a small town
about 30 miles away from Indy -- and found the Post Office employees there to
be smart, friendly, competent, and hardworking. Twelve years later, we moved
back into the city, and -- well, it's not like it was in the small town.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:
snip

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

Gunner

snip

January-Febuary must have been very cold that year

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

I worked a job where they gave up Veterans Day as a holiday so they
could have the first day of deer season off.
Talk about ungratefull.
Why didn't they give up Presidents Day?
Morons.
Sorry for the rant but I've always been ****ed about that.
Over and out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Is that the slacker mailman gets Monday off
and I don't.

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't much
of a soldier. I got good training and a pretty
cushy job for a GI. But apparently, the US
needed me where I was and I tried to do a good
job.

But I am a vet and I'm proud of it. And I'm
****ed that I come into work while the clowns
at the post office don't.

What ****es me off is that Veterans Day is on Armistice Day and that is
November 11. Period full stop. Not Monday. It is supposed to be a day to
remember the sacrifices of those that gave their last measure of devotion
and those that continue to soldier on living with the damage war inflicted
on them.

I'm surprised the Uniform Holidays Bill (PA 90-383) didn't make the 4th of
July on whatever convenient monday or friday to take off.

Thank you all that served,

Wes
USMC 75-79

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Dan Dan@ wrote in article ...
I worked a job where they gave up Veterans Day as a holiday so they
could have the first day of deer season off.
Talk about ungratefull.
Why didn't they give up Presidents Day?
Morons.
Sorry for the rant but I've always been ****ed about that.
Over and out.

That's okay.....

My wife used to work for a large insurance company at its Boston office.

They used to swap "Bunker Hill Day" - a Suffolk County "holiday" for the
day after Thanksgiving off.....an upgrade, I would say.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is that the slacker mailman gets Monday off
and I don't.

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't much
of a soldier. I got good training and a pretty
cushy job for a GI. But apparently, the US
needed me where I was and I tried to do a good
job.

But I am a vet and I'm proud of it. And I'm
****ed that I come into work while the clowns
at the post office don't.

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

Gunner

So was my only son, 11-11-72.

Talk about getting lucky: He was born at the end of vietnam and was
almost too old for the Gulf War and the present unpleasantness in Iraq
and Afghanistan. He wanted to enlist in the Navy, but the recruiter
advised him to stay in the civilian market for his skillset.

Our local Navy recruiter was a fine and honest man.

But my son knows well what Veterans day means and respects our soldiers
and vets.

And, of course, he likes that the whole country celebrates his birthday.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:28:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

Happy Birthday, Gunner! And thanks for your service to the country
and all of us.

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh

Seconded, with total agreement!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, you could have been born on or near to Dec. 25.

I was, on the 27th.

You're never quite sure you're getting Christmas or birthday presents.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:57:44 -0500, John Husvar
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My son was born on New Years Day. 2nd baby in the county of that
year.

So we combined presents. G

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Husvar" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

And my poor nephew, who was born on Dec. 24th. He never had a chance.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:30:47 -0600, Bill wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:
snip

Each Veterans Day means Im another year older.

I was born on Veterans Day..

Gunner

snip

January-Febuary must have been very cold that year

Bill

It always is in the UP..the wind blowing off Lake Superior..makes ya
want to crawl under the comforter with somebody comfortable....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My wife went into labor Halloween morning.

I can still remember her crying "I don't want
a daughter born on Halloween..."

*That* was not a problem. Labor lasted 40
hours.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .

snip

My wife went into labor Halloween morning.

I can still remember her crying "I don't want
a daughter born on Halloween..."

*That* was not a problem. Labor lasted 40
hours.

Oh, God. What a way to avoid the problem, eh?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

snip

It always is in the UP..the wind blowing off Lake Superior..makes ya
want to crawl under the comforter with somebody comfortable....

Gunner

snip

I'd love to see the birth rates for the area based on average mean temp.
Wonder if there's more kids born after a colder winter than a warmer one

Hmmm, if the rates are higher during colder monthes and global warming is
causing the winters to be warmer and warmer winters cause smaller birth
rates then people in that area are slowly being bled off which will cause a
complete destruction of the way of life in that area, since Bush won't
help fight global warming by signing the Kyto accords then he MUST be doing
it on purpose. George Bush is killing off a whole group of people on
purpose, he must be stopped, impeach, impeach.......

Whoa, I think my brain stroked out there for a moment, thought I was a
liberal......

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:55:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"John Husvar" wrote in message

You're never quite sure you're getting Christmas or birthday presents.

And my poor nephew, who was born on Dec. 24th. He never had a chance.

My birthday is in early August, so I get the full complement of
birthday and Christmas presents at the appropriate times each year.
So solly 'bout you other guys.

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Husvar wrote:

Well, you could have been born on or near to Dec. 25.

I was, on the 27th.

You're never quite sure you're getting Christmas or birthday presents.

I have a nephew and a grandaughter in the same situation.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

snip

It always is in the UP..the wind blowing off Lake Superior..makes ya
want to crawl under the comforter with somebody comfortable....

Gunner

I'd love to see the birth rates for the area based on average mean temp.
Wonder if there's more kids born after a colder winter than a warmer one

Hmmm, if the rates are higher during colder monthes and global warming is
causing the winters to be warmer and warmer winters cause smaller birth
rates then people in that area are slowly being bled off which will cause a
complete destruction of the way of life in that area, since Bush won't
help fight global warming by signing the Kyto accords then he MUST be doing
it on purpose. George Bush is killing off a whole group of people on
purpose, he must be stopped, impeach, impeach.......

Bill

I don't think the effect is world wide. Look at Africa.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:25:38 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

Well, you could have been born on or near to Dec. 25.

I was, on the 27th.

You're never quite sure you're getting Christmas or birthday presents.

I have a nephew and a grandaughter in the same situation.

Mines on the 20th same problem here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Bill wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

snip

[...]

Like they get six feet of snow there...

When I lived in Chicago, come fall everybody paired off for the winter.
If you didn't have a girlfriend by now, it was going to be a long lonely
winter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner Asch wrote on Tue, 13 Nov 2007
08:27:07 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote:
[...]

The Mother of my God daughter's birthday is December 14th. So she
was well aware of the travails of having a birthday so close to
Christmas, and vowed not to have any kids in December. However "Madam
does not keep a calendar on the ceiling of her boudoir." God-Daughter
was born Dec 29th.
So I mark St Nicolas Day (Dec 6) on the calendar, and beat the rush.

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:55:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"John Husvar" wrote in message

You're never quite sure you're getting Christmas or birthday presents.

And my poor nephew, who was born on Dec. 24th. He never had a chance.

My birthday is in early August, so I get the full complement of
birthday and Christmas presents at the appropriate times each year.
So solly 'bout you other guys.

Curse you, Red Baron!

A friend of mine used to say her birthday was the same as Rosemary's
Baby, June 25, the Antichristmas.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:48:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, John
Husvar quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:55:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"John Husvar" wrote in message

You're never quite sure you're getting Christmas or birthday presents.

And my poor nephew, who was born on Dec. 24th. He never had a chance.

My birthday is in early August, so I get the full complement of
birthday and Christmas presents at the appropriate times each year.
So solly 'bout you other guys.

Curse you, Red Baron!

A friend of mine used to say her birthday was the same as Rosemary's
Baby, June 25, the Antichristmas.

I'm surprise you didn't come back with "Your mother sews socks that
smell!", but then I realized that was from "The Exorcist", not
"Rosemary's Baby". Carry on. (Or should that be "carrion" for this
particular veer off the original thread?)

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 11:38 am, Bill wrote:

Hmmm, if the rates are higher during colder monthes and global warming is
causing the winters to be warmer and warmer winters cause smaller birth
rates then people in that area are slowly being bled off which will cause a
complete destruction of the way of life in that area, since Bush won't
help fight global warming by signing the Kyto accords then he MUST be doing
it on purpose. George Bush is killing off a whole group of people on
purpose, he must be stopped, impeach, impeach.......

No possibility. Shrub can't think that many steps ahead.