Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Health Hazard of Dry Skin

Unsolicited piece of advice #4,387: use moisturizing creme on your skin
to keep it from getting dry and cracking.

Went to the family doc today with a foot/shin that was about twice it's
normal size and all sorts of "interesting" colors. I probably should
not have driven - I felt that bad.

He said: "Major infection".

I said: "How does that happen without a portal for the infection to
enter through?".... i.e. I have had no cuts or any other
lesions...

He said: "Portals? You have hundreds of them."... and pointed to the
dry cracked skin.

Turns out each crack is a mini portal.... "Mini" to the eye, but plenty
big for bacteria.

My wife has been on my case for years and years trying to get me to
apply moisturizing creme - but it always seemed un-macho to me so I said
to myself "The hell with it - I can live with a few cracks until
spring".

Now I know....
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 04:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

He said: "Portals? You have hundreds of them."... and pointed to the
dry cracked skin.

Turns out each crack is a mini portal.... "Mini" to the eye, but plenty
big for bacteria.

My wife has been on my case for years and years trying to get me to
apply moisturizing creme - but it always seemed un-macho to me so I said
to myself "The hell with it - I can live with a few cracks until
spring".

Now I know....

Thanks for the warning.

Same problem here...and my wife finally got me to do something about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-09 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/09/2016 04:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

He said: "Portals? You have hundreds of them."... and pointed to the
dry cracked skin.

Turns out each crack is a mini portal.... "Mini" to the eye, but plenty
big for bacteria.

My wife has been on my case for years and years trying to get me to
apply moisturizing creme - but it always seemed un-macho to me so I said
to myself "The hell with it - I can live with a few cracks until
spring".

Now I know....

Thanks for the warning.

Same problem here...and my wife finally got me to do something about it.

Get the wife to apply the cream, it can lead to other things, if you get
my drift.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-09 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
Thanks for the warning.

Same problem here...and my wife finally got me to do something about it.

Get the wife to apply the cream, it can lead to other things, if you get
my drift.

Yes, I know all about haircuts and shaves.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-09 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
Thanks for the warning.

Same problem here...and my wife finally got me to do something about it.

Get the wife to apply the cream, it can lead to other things, if you get
my drift.

Yes, I know all about haircuts and shaves.

Never had sex obviously.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 3:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

As you age, skin dries out, gets thinner, etc. Here, it's very dry
for almost all of the year. Leads to dry/itchy skin. Scratching
leads to small tears in the skin. Fingernails are great for carrying
staph into those tears. Do the math...

Colleague ended up with a significant MRSA infection. Scarey. Almost
requires a nurse (or, someone who's really adventurous!) to change the
dressing, keep it clean, etc.

Working around the house, car, etc. just ups the ante! Too many extra
opportunities to cut/scrape/bruise/etc.

I currently have Eucerin's "Daily Moisturizing Cream" and "Dry Skin Body Wash"
that I apply (not religiously) during showers. I've tried many different
products and can't say any are notably "better". It boils down to what
they each *feel* like on your skin (I don't like greasy, sticky, etc.).

Good luck with the foot/leg! Extremities can be particularly tough to
heal (circulation issues, "usage", etc.).
Posted to alt.home.repair

I currently have Eucerin's "Daily Moisturizing Cream" and "Dry Skin Body Wash"
that I apply (not religiously) during showers. I've tried many different
products and can't say any are notably "better". It boils down to what
they each *feel* like on your skin (I don't like greasy, sticky, etc.).

My long-time-fav for healing-up cracked hands is
A & D diaper rash "ointment"
not A & D diaper rash cream
... they both come in a similar squeeze-tube ..
It is greasy - yes - but it works for me.
I just work it for a minute or two - then grab a paper towel
to remove the excess greasiness.
We found that was the best for baby-bottoms - and
it has worked best for my winter hands as well ...
I very seldom need more than 2 or 3 applications
over 2 or 3 days and I'm good to go ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-09 7:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/9/2016 6:56 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Get the wife to apply the cream, it can lead to other things, if you get
my drift.

Yes, I know all about haircuts and shaves.

Never had sex obviously.

I've had sex since the day I was born. I've
been M since day one.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-09 7:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/9/2016 6:56 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Get the wife to apply the cream, it can lead to other things, if you
get
my drift.

Yes, I know all about haircuts and shaves.

Never had sex obviously.

I've had sex since the day I was born. I've
been M since day one.

Righty or Lefty is not quite the same, try someone of the opposite sex.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 6:53 PM, wrote:

My long-time-fav for healing-up cracked hands is
A & D diaper rash "ointment"

I htink htey call that "A & D *Prevent*". A difference
in the ingredients from that to the other A&D ("A & D
*Treat*") which, IIRC, is used AFTER "diaper rash" develops.
There's a difference in ingredients.

[MD recommended it as part of the prep for colonoscopy]

not A & D diaper rash cream
... they both come in a similar squeeze-tube ..
It is greasy - yes - but it works for me.
I just work it for a minute or two - then grab a paper towel
to remove the excess greasiness.

I don't like greasy so tend to prefer "creams". E.g., cortisone
cream instead of cortisone ointment, etc.

I'm not fond of things that cause the hair on arms to stick flat
to the skin; then, feel like they are being tugged on each time
the skin wants to flex.

[An advantage of the Eucerin Dry Skin Body Wash is that it doesn't really
stay ON your skin as much as soaking *in*.]

We found that was the best for baby-bottoms - and
it has worked best for my winter hands as well ...
I very seldom need more than 2 or 3 applications
over 2 or 3 days and I'm good to go ...

I don't like anything on the palms of my hands as it tends to interfere
with handling components, typing, etc. But, then again, the palms tend not
to need moisturizing while the backs of my hands do get very dry/cracked.

For me, the issue is making sure I don't let an itch get started as I
can do real damage to the skin in short order. I have a fair number of
"seasonal allergies" (that really are NOT seasonal in that they never
go away!) that are quickly triggered by exposure to certain things
(mainly plants). So, I'm careful to wash thoroughly after yard work
and pay attention to what gets on me.

[For highly localized itches -- e.g., mosquito bites -- I've found very
hot water directly on the spot for as long as it can be tolerated seems
to KILL the itch... as long as you don't then "wake it up"!]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:09:22 -0500, FrozenNorth
wrote:

I've had sex since the day I was born. I've
been M since day one.

Righty or Lefty is not quite the same, try someone of the opposite sex.

He never got back to me, after I asked, if his Bishop said wet dreams
were sex and sinful for Mormons... Guess he didn't ask the Bishop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-09 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/09/2016 04:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

He said: "Portals? You have hundreds of them."... and pointed to the
dry cracked skin.

Turns out each crack is a mini portal.... "Mini" to the eye, but plenty
big for bacteria.

My wife has been on my case for years and years trying to get me to
apply moisturizing creme - but it always seemed un-macho to me so I said
to myself "The hell with it - I can live with a few cracks until
spring".

Now I know....

Thanks for the warning.

Same problem here...and my wife finally got me to do something about it.

Get the wife to apply the cream, it can lead to other things, if you get
my drift.
--
Froz...

Does your beautiful sexy wife have a foot fetish? ^_*

[8~{} Uncle Sole Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 17:53:26 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

[...]

Most of those lotions dont do anything unless you can get off the
calouses first. While I did try both an electric sander and an angle
grinder, I quickly learned that is a good way to burn the skin.

Now I use a piece of 30 grit sandpaper and just sand off the dry skin on
my heels and other parts of the foot (By hand). Then I apply a lotion,
which in my case, is a product made for horses, which works much better
than the stuff sold (for human use), in the pharmacies.

This animal product says "Not for use on humans", so I am not
recommending it, or saying the name of the product, but the ingredients
are the same things used in "for human" products, just much stronger.

This works quite well.

Of the (For Human) products, I find a product called "No Crack" to work
the best. It's made for cracked hands, but works on feet or other body
parts too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Unsolicited piece of advice #4,387: use moisturizing creme on your skin
| to keep it from getting dry and cracking.

I guess one unsolicited piece of advice deserves
another.

You leg should have never got to that point. You're
not just needing moisturizing cream. You're needing to
pay attention to your body... and actually live in it.
I'm repeatedly amazed seeing how many people don't
actually feel their bodies, letting them get out of shape,
eating junk, ignoring posture... Then I turn on the
evening news and see ads for drugs to treat hearburn,
headache, constipation and sleep problems. None of those
things should happen at all under normal circumstances,
yet many people think of them as normal.

I think people vary a lot in terms of skin -- whether
theirs is sensitive or not. For what it's worth, I like to
keep the house very cool in Winter. 62 day/55 night.
It's much kinder to skin and sinuses than "room
temperature". The relative humidity is higher. It's also
conducive to wakefulness.
Occasionally in the Winter I get calves dry enough that
they itch. Then I put on safflower oil after a shower,
mixing it with the water to spread it out. I also like
the generic, 365 fragrance-free body lotion at Whole
Foods, especially for my hands. It's mainly rapeseed oil.
I have a brother who now swears by the blend of petroleum
jelly and lanolin used on cow udders, but that would be
for extreme skin damage.

If you look at moisturizing creams you'll see that most
are merely petroleum jelly with gimmicky trace additives.
A few are vegetable oil-based. The former are greasy but
protective, good for extreme outdoor exposure or badly
damaged skin. The latter are better for daily moisturizing.
The prices can go wildly high, with claims of miracle
ingredients. (If you look at unit pricing stickers in CVS
you'll see that prices go up over $2,000/gallon. Even
the most intelligent, level-headed women can be ninnies
when it comes to scams in pretty bottles.)

I go to a dermatologist who pushes Amlactin, an
absurdly overpriced blend of petroleum jelly and lactic
acid. It's all snake oil. But I'm guessing the Amlactin
people have some kind of inside connection with
dermatologists.

You should exepect to pay a bit more for vegetable
oil-based products. The ingredients are higher quality.
But there's also a lot of snake oil in that market. In
that case it's New Age snake oil and "magic from the
East" snake oil, but it's still snake oil. The main ingredient
is just oil. I like the cocoa butter or rapeseed oil products
because they're closer to human skin oil than petroleum
jelly. The latter is greasy and hard to wash off, more
for emergency treatment than for moisturizing. As far
as I can see, the only reason to prefer creams over
plain vegetable oil is that the former seem to have
anti-oxidant preservatives. In some cases vegetable
oil can go rancid on the skin, producing a sort of bitter
smell. But lathering up with plain oil before fully drying
off after a shower is an easy, non-greasy way to
moisturize the whole body.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a product made for horses, which works much better
than the stuff sold (for human use), in the pharmacies.
This animal product says "Not for use on humans", so I am not
recommending it, or saying the name of the product, but the ingredients
are the same things used in "for human" products, just much stronger.
This works quite well.
Of the (For Human) products, I find a product called "No Crack" to work
the best. It's made for cracked hands, but works on feet or other body
parts too.

Bag Balm is available here - but apparently it's considered a
veterinary product in Alberta ?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42551,10255

It seems expensive at first glance but the 10 ounce can will last a
long time if just used for cracked hands. Like my favourite A&D
ointment - it's greasy - but it works.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Mayayana:

If you look at moisturizing creams you'll see that most
are merely petroleum jelly with gimmicky trace additives.

My impression is that "Moisturizing" creams do not moisturize at all.

Instead, they create a barrier to prevent the skin underneath from
losing moisture.

My guess would be that plain-vanilla Petroleum jelly would work quite
well for that - but make the skin greasy enough that most people would
seek other solutions.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2016 7:44 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> [...]

dermatologists.

You should exepect to pay a bit more for vegetable
oil-based products. The ingredients are higher quality.
But there's also a lot of snake oil in that market. In
that case it's New Age snake oil and "magic from the
East" snake oil, but it's still snake oil. The main ingredient
is just oil. I like the cocoa butter or rapeseed oil products
because they're closer to human skin oil than petroleum
jelly. The latter is greasy and hard to wash off, more
for emergency treatment than for moisturizing. As far
as I can see, the only reason to prefer creams over
plain vegetable oil is that the former seem to have
anti-oxidant preservatives. In some cases vegetable
oil can go rancid on the skin, producing a sort of bitter
smell. But lathering up with plain oil before fully drying
off after a shower is an easy, non-greasy way to

I found a cream that has Vit E and Tea Tree Oil in it that works well on
very dry skin. For just normal use of skin lotion I use Aveeno Stress
Relief as a 24 hour moisturizer. It works pretty well, I think.

--
Maggie