Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Health Hazard of Dry Skin

On 3/9/2016 3:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Unsolicited piece of advice #4,387: use moisturizing creme on your skin
to keep it from getting dry and cracking.

Went to the family doc today with a foot/shin that was about twice it's
normal size and all sorts of "interesting" colors. I probably should
not have driven - I felt that bad.

He said: "Major infection".

I said: "How does that happen without a portal for the infection to
enter through?".... i.e. I have had no cuts or any other
lesions...

He said: "Portals? You have hundreds of them."... and pointed to the
dry cracked skin.

Turns out each crack is a mini portal.... "Mini" to the eye, but plenty
big for bacteria.

My wife has been on my case for years and years trying to get me to
apply moisturizing creme - but it always seemed un-macho to me so I said
to myself "The hell with it - I can live with a few cracks until
spring".

Now I know....

As you age, skin dries out, gets thinner, etc. Here, it's very dry
for almost all of the year. Leads to dry/itchy skin. Scratching
leads to small tears in the skin. Fingernails are great for carrying
staph into those tears. Do the math...

Colleague ended up with a significant MRSA infection. Scarey. Almost
requires a nurse (or, someone who's really adventurous!) to change the
dressing, keep it clean, etc.

Working around the house, car, etc. just ups the ante! Too many extra
opportunities to cut/scrape/bruise/etc.

I currently have Eucerin's "Daily Moisturizing Cream" and "Dry Skin Body Wash"
that I apply (not religiously) during showers. I've tried many different
products and can't say any are notably "better". It boils down to what
they each *feel* like on your skin (I don't like greasy, sticky, etc.).

Good luck with the foot/leg! Extremities can be particularly tough to
heal (circulation issues, "usage", etc.).