Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Shop Hazard

Saw this in the news this morning.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Court papers allege that an Olympia woman, angry
that her husband left her, tampered with his power tools so that he
received a powerful electric shock.

Carolyn Paulsen-Riat was booked Friday into the Thurston County Jail
for investigation of third-degree assault, domestic violence, and
second-degree malicious mischief. A judge released the 33-year-old
woman on her own recognizance.

The Olympian newspaper reports that court documents say that on Jan.
1, the man was using a 220-volt table saw when he received the shock,
knocking him to the ground. Thurston County sheriff's deputies say the
man did not need to go to a hospital.

In the documents, deputies say the woman told them she had reversed
the wires on his power tools because she was angry he was leaving.

Another good reason not to **** her off. It was komonews.com if you
want to see it.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2010 9:54 AM, Mike M wrote:
[...]

Hell hath no fury ...

Should be attempted murder, IMO. He better get a new toothbrush while
he's at it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote in message
Saw this in the news this morning.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Court papers allege that an Olympia woman, angry
that her husband left her, tampered with his power tools so that he
received a powerful electric shock.

I guess we should collectively hope that this doesn't get widespread
distribution... don't want to give anyone ideas. On the other hand, how many
could have pulled that off with out zapping themselves? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking the same thing (attempted murder). I suppose she could claim
ignorance as far as what could kill him, but *that* assertation is tough to
reconcile with someone who has the knowledge to pull that stunt off without
killing *themself*.

"Is there any reason to believe she is anything but a woman scorned, which
Hell no fury hath like?"
-captain jack sparrow

I loved that quote.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 12:30*pm, "Joe" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think there is such a thing as attempted murder. It's murder
gone wrong. I draw a bead on some schmuck's head, pull the trigger,
and the guy has the bullet rattle off his thick scull and survives.
Another 1/8" to the left, he'd been dead.
HOW do I get a reduced sentence because HE is lucky to survive?
Premeditation to end his life? Check.
Weapon? Check.
Decision to pull the trigger? Check
It is murder with a lucky victim.
The only thing fair would be for the victim to take a shot, with the
same gun, at the same distance, just to see how lucky *I* am.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Snip

Hell hath no fury ...

Should be attempted murder, IMO. He better get a new toothbrush while he's
at it.

Yesterday I was reading a cartoon that a neighbor sent to me. Kim was with
in arm swinging distance.

2 older guys sitting on the curb out side a store. One looks over at the
other and asks,

You know why a woman's work is never done?

He follows up with,

They don't get up early enough.

Good thing Kim did not have a knife.... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 12:51*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

Snip

Hell hath no fury ...

Should be attempted murder, IMO. He better get a new toothbrush while he's
at it.

Yesterday I was reading a cartoon that a neighbor sent to me. *Kim was with
in arm swinging distance.

2 older guys sitting on the curb out side a store. *One looks over at the
other and asks,

You know why a woman's work is never done?

He follows up with,

They don't get up early enough.

Good thing Kim did not have a knife.... ;~)

Quite a fitting anecdote for an attempted murder thread. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
In the documents, deputies say the woman told them she had reversed
the wires on his power tools because she was angry he was leaving.

Another good reason not to **** her off. It was komonews.com if you
want to see it.

Hell hath no fury ...

Should be attempted murder, IMO. He better get a new toothbrush
while he's at it.

I was thinking the same thing (attempted murder). I suppose she
could claim ignorance as far as what could kill him, but *that*
assertation is tough to reconcile with someone who has the knowledge
to pull that stunt off without killing *themself*.

No worries for that in my house. Not necessarily because my wife loves me
either. She would not know how to get the cover off the electrical box.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 12:30 pm, "Joe" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

Okay, yes, agreed, but I was making my point with *available* legal
definitions.
My point was that the charge should be attempted murder, *not* a downgraded
(which I believe your point to be) charge of 3rd degree assault.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
In the documents, deputies say the woman told them she had reversed
the wires on his power tools because she was angry he was leaving.

Another good reason not to **** her off. It was komonews.com if you
want to see it.

Hell hath no fury ...

Should be attempted murder, IMO. He better get a new toothbrush
while he's at it.

I was thinking the same thing (attempted murder). I suppose she
could claim ignorance as far as what could kill him, but *that*
assertation is tough to reconcile with someone who has the knowledge
to pull that stunt off without killing *themself*.

No worries for that in my house. Not necessarily because my wife loves me
either. She would not know how to get the cover off the electrical box.

You don't have any of those recalled books laying around for her to peruse
do you? ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 2:00*pm, "Joe" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 10, 12:30 pm, "Joe" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

The problem lies with "intent". From the NYS Penal code:

§ 120.00 Assault in the third degree.
A person is guilty of assault in the third degree when:
1. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he
causes
such injury to such person or to a third person; or
2. He recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or
3. With criminal negligence, he causes physical injury to
another
person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.
Assault in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.

She could argue that her intent was to destroy his tools, not to harm
him (see #2 above).

I think that a charge of attempted murder would be very hard to
prove.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"Mike M" wrote in message
Saw this in the news this morning.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Court papers allege that an Olympia woman, angry
that her husband left her, tampered with his power tools so that he
received a powerful electric shock.

I guess we should collectively hope that this doesn't get widespread
distribution... don't want to give anyone ideas. On the other hand, how
many could have pulled that off with out zapping themselves? ;~)

Probably many. Unplug the saw and do the deed. I suspect she knew more
than the average dummy though, in order to know what to do.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I don't think there is such a thing as attempted murder. It's murder
gone wrong. I draw a bead on some schmuck's head, pull the trigger,
and the guy has the bullet rattle off his thick scull and survives.
Another 1/8" to the left, he'd been dead.
HOW do I get a reduced sentence because HE is lucky to survive?
Premeditation to end his life? Check.
Weapon? Check.
Decision to pull the trigger? Check
It is murder with a lucky victim.
The only thing fair would be for the victim to take a shot, with the
same gun, at the same distance, just to see how lucky *I* am.

In the case you posited, it may not be a criminal offense at all - in fact
the action may even be meritorious (self-defense, defense of another,
killing an enemy in time of war, victim was dressed in a deer suit, etc.).

It can get convoluted. Texas, as most other states, has a "generalized
attempt" statute. This law makes it illegal to attempt any criminal offense
that fails in its execution. The penalty for conviction is one grade lower
than had the offense been successful. So, then, if you set out to murder
someone (1st degree felony) and fail, you get the penalty for a 2nd degree
felony.

Meanwhile, there is the offense of Aggravated Assault ("causes serious
bodily injury") which is, by itself, a 2nd degree felony. So the penalties
for attempted murder and aggravated assault are the same.

The choice of which to charge may depend on the circumstances.

Consider "pistol-whipping" (beating someone with a handgun). The charge the
D.A. presses will depend on whether the gun was loaded! If the gun WAS
loaded, the D.A. can't prove attempted murder since, had you intended to
kill the victim, you could have simply shot him!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message m...

"Mike M" wrote in message
Saw this in the news this morning.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Court papers allege that an Olympia woman,
angry that her husband left her, tampered with his power tools so
that he received a powerful electric shock.

I guess we should collectively hope that this doesn't get widespread
distribution... don't want to give anyone ideas. On the other hand,
how many could have pulled that off with out zapping themselves? ;~)

Probably many. Unplug the saw and do the deed. I suspect she knew
more than the average dummy though, in order to know what to do.

But it works both ways: The wires on the washing machine can be just as
easily swapped (then quickly swapped back)...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote in message
[...]

May the bitch face a judge with a woodshop in his garage.

B.