Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How is this not a fire hazard?

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

If you mean it could be weird if there was already a fire, then maybe.
Otherwise, no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

Seems more like a privacy hazard to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

When I was a youngster we lived in a 2 story house. Heat was a cookstove in
the kitchen. Used wood and coal. To get heat to upstairs bedrooms there were
holes in ceiling with metal grates to allow rising heat to warm upstairs. A
fan like this sure would have helped. We did have electric power.WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could you give us a hint as to what you think the problem is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

It would probably shut off if fire hit it, I'm sure there is a thermal
fuse in the motor. I've installed then in convince store cash register
booths to ventilate them when the bullet resistant glass windows are
closed.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:18:15 -0500, Aaron Fude wrote:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

I'd be more worried about flooding. With a vent system like that your
walls will no longer be watertight - if the plumbing gives out your
house will sink like a stone. Or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 8:14*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:18:15 -0500, Aaron Fude wrote:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

I'd be more worried about flooding. With a vent system like that your
walls will no longer be watertight - if the plumbing gives out your
house will sink like a stone. Or something.

A hot air plenum booster fan would be a lot cheaper, but then you
would still have to get the 2 grilles to cover the holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 5:18�pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

I am sure if it were installed incorrectly it could be a hazard, just
like any electrical appliance. But it doesn't appear to be any more a
fire hazard than your typical wall outlet.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/17/2009 9:14 PM (ET) Jules wrote the following:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:18:15 -0500, Aaron Fude wrote:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

I'd be more worried about flooding. With a vent system like that your
walls will no longer be watertight - if the plumbing gives out your
house will sink like a stone. Or something.

I think he means to install it in a home, not in a ship with watertight
compartments and hatches.
It would probably be set in the wall near the ceiling. If floodwaters
get that high, the house is already toast, or in this case, soup.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Nov 18, 1:40*pm, willshak wrote:
on 11/17/2009 9:14 PM (ET) Jules wrote the following:

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:18:15 -0500, Aaron Fude wrote:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

I'd be more worried about flooding. With a vent system like that your
walls will no longer be watertight - if the plumbing gives out your
house will sink like a stone. Or something.

I think he means to install it in a home, not in a ship with watertight
compartments and hatches.
It would probably be set in the wall near the ceiling. If floodwaters
get that high, the house is already toast, or in this case, soup.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I've 2 in the walls of my livingroom to transfer heat from the
woodstove. Excellent results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 5:18*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453060536

I have a better question:

How IS it a fire hazard? At least, how is it any more of a fire hazard
than any electrical box or lighting fixture installed in a wall in the
last 100 years or so?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I certainly should have made my question more specific.

I've heard that laundry chutes (throw clothes down from second floor
into a basket in the basement) are now illegal in many states because
they create a draft for a fire. From that standpoint, this seems like a
fire's dream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

I certainly should have made my question more specific.

I've heard that laundry chutes (throw clothes down from second floor
into a basket in the basement) are now illegal in many states because
they create a draft for a fire. From that standpoint, this seems like a
fire's dream.

I've *heard* that pigs can fly. But that doesn't mean cows can.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
I certainly should have made my question more specific.

I've heard that laundry chutes (throw clothes down from second floor
into a basket in the basement) are now illegal in many states because
they create a draft for a fire. From that standpoint, this seems like a
fire's dream.

1. These are for same-floor through-wall use, not between floors. You
could get some chimney effect, but it would not be as pronounced. Most
residential doors don't seal that well anyway, and often are left open,
even at night. (Yeah, I remember fire safety from grade school, but I'd
rather avoid the stubbed toes and smashed nose when getting up at night.
Don't dare turn on a light, or my brain starts the reboot sequence, and
I am done sleeping for the night.)

2. Code in many areas, and wise designers in other areas, have long
specified that laundry chutes have spring loaded, or unbalanced 'fail
closed' lids on top and/or bottom, to avoid chimney effect. Chutes are
not illegal (anywhere I know of), they just aren't very popular any
more, since people that can afford a custom home prefer a main-floor or
bedroom-floor laundry setup. Chutes and small kids are not a good
combination, especially if there are small pets in the house. Attractive
nuisance, etc.

3. Old houses with coal furnaces often had a big-ass grate in the middle
of house to allow heat to rise, and old public buildings often had open
stairwells. In many cases, when furnace got updated, the grate got
plugged, or modified so it didn't actually pass through the floor layer.
(Close ceiling below, and box in duct to make a low-pressure heat outlet
or something.) In buildings, even if stairwell is still open on lowest
public floor, all floors above now have stairs walled in with fire
doors. They want stairwells to be positive pressure now, to keep smoke out.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
I certainly should have made my question more specific.

I've heard that laundry chutes (throw clothes down from second floor
into a basket in the basement) are now illegal in many states because
they create a draft for a fire. From that standpoint, this seems like a
fire's dream.

you know, if a house is on fire, a little 6 inch hole in the wall is
hardly a matter. What about that 32x80 hole in the hallway to the bedroom?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 6:04�pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've *heard* that pigs can fly. � But that doesn't mean cows can.

Jim

Pigs can fly. If you don't believe me, just look up the next time a
police helicopter flies over. :-)

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
I certainly should have made my question more specific.

I've heard that laundry chutes (throw clothes down from second floor
into a basket in the basement) are now illegal in many states because
they create a draft for a fire. From that standpoint, this seems like a
fire's dream.

I've *heard* that pigs can fly. * But that doesn't mean cows can.

Jim

There are various versions of this...

Another month ends.
All targets met.